Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
geez

HAL said:
Sorry Hangar Rat, but you are the one who needs an attitude check.

I've flown in Alaska and what TurboS7 said is 100% accurate. Those who are careful and smart and know what they are doing will do well up there. Those who are 'young whippersnappers' had better listen and follow those that have been there before or they will end up in a ball of aluminum on the side of a hill somewhere. I've seen it, and Turbo's right.

Unless you can point to a bunch of pages in your logbook that list out-of-the-way destinations in AK, reserve judgement for those who have been there.

HAL

I will call BS on that one HAL. I've flown in Alaska quite a bit, and yes, I have many "out of the way destinations" in my logbook. I have seen many of the ones who "have been there before" end up on the side of the hill along with the"young whipersnappers." Complacency and know-it-all attitudes will kill you very quickly up here.

I have always tried to know my limits and stay within them, and it has served me well.

You said those who are careful and smart and know what they are are doing well up here. Well, you said it, whether young or old, it is the head on thier shoulders and their judgement that matters most. Harsh generalizations are ignorant.

Don't get me wrong, most of the guys who have been a while are awesome pilots, and a lot of the new guys are puddknockers.

HAL said:
Sorry Hangar Rat, but you are the one who needs an attitude check.
He needs a better spell checker, too. I think it's funny how guys that can't even correctly spell the building where one stores airplanes come on here and try to give aviation experts their comeuppance.

:rolleyes:

TonyC said:
He needs a better spell checker, too. I think it's funny how guys that can't even correctly spell the building where one stores airplanes come on here and try to give aviation experts their comeuppance.

:rolleyes:

Ha! sorry, "HangarRat" was already taken! I think we all get the gist of it though!

"Comeuppance" LOL

HangerRat said:
Ha! sorry, "HangarRat" was already taken! I think we all get the gist of it though!

"Comeuppance" LOL
I reckon we'll hafta letcha slide on that one, then.

:)

I have an attitude, wait a minute, read the beginning of this post. A gentlemen inquires about AK. He is retired he is willing so crawl, walk, and run into Alaska aviation. He has gray hair. A whippersnapper makes a comment that he has no business flying in Alaska, should leave the flying to guys that need to build time, and should just fly around in his Cub. I disagree, the secret to flying in Alaska is patience, a very good head, humbleness, and the ability to say no.The only reason I am not up there now is my wife will not live in AK. While living in the bush she had some bad experiences and will not go back.

BTW I don't have AK destinations in my logbook, I have GARDNER 1, GARDNER 2, BEACH 2, BEACH 3, GRAVEL BAR 1, GRAVEL BAR 2. Beach thing gets in your blood, I was walking the Marco Island Beach the other day, you could put a DC-6 on that with no problem. I always loved Egigik beach, like the JFK of Bristol Bay.

Last edited:
TurboS7 said:
I have an attitude, wait a minute, read the beginning of this post. A gentlemen inquires about AK. He is retired he is willing so crawl, walk, and run into Alaska aviation. He has gray hair. A whippersnapper makes a comment that he has no business flying in Alaska, should leave the flying to guys that need to build time, and should just fly around in his Cub. I disagree, the secret to flying in Alaska is patience, a very good head, humbleness, and the ability to say no.The only reason I am not up there now is my wife will not live in AK. While living in the bush she had some bad experiences and will not go back.

BTW I don't have AK destinations in my logbook, I have GARDNER 1, GARDNER 2, BEACH 2, BEACH 3, GRAVEL BAR 1, GRAVEL BAR 2. Beach thing gets in your blood, I was walking the Marco Island Beach the other day, you could put a DC-6 on that with no problem. I always loved Egigik beach, like the JFK of Bristol Bay.

How does one get AK time if they are a "southerner"? It is possible to get hired as a CFI up there and build AK time? Would time from other mountainous regions (e.g. Colorado) be looked upon favorably? Sure seems like it would be a great adventure and excellent experience to fly up there for a few years.

Okay for a little different approach here. I'm a young whippersnapper who is interested in flying in Alaska post college. What can I do to kind of gear my training toward that? All of my time so far has been in California... not the most harsh climate in the world :)

All true.

TurboS7 said:
...the secret to flying in Alaska is patience, a very good head, humbleness, and the ability to say no.

And lots of GAS!!!

Gas is GOOD.

VERY GOOD!

Fly smart.

Latest resources

Back