Summer in Alaska

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
dispatcher121 said:
The other day his destination was above mins requiring an alternate but the remarks in the metar stated there was a funnel cloud. He as usual called and wanted his alternate removed. The entire dispatch office got in on it. The dispatcher stood his ground and kept the alternate. The Captain said he will be speaking to management.

??...so why are you putting an alternate when one is not required??

...and don't tell me safety. Writing down an alternate on a piece of paper doesn't change a thing. Of course you should always have at least one alternate in mind, if not 2 or 3. Plans B & C. Yeah, I'm not talking about that. I just don't see the reason for putting it on paper. The alternate you put down on paper when wx mins require it is just a way of showing that you have done your homework. But why are you causing irritation just to put down your homework on paper when it isn't rquired and does not enhance safety or have any good effect?

Oh, OK, yeah, that 121.619 does seem to require it. My post was not about whether or not you should have one - you should always have one, regardless of anything, there should always be some planning in the alternate area, my post was what difference does it make whether or not you post it on your flight plan. But that reg seems to imply it - so I don't know why the Capt has heartburn on putting it down.

Latest resources

Back