• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Summer in Alaska

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Most places other than flight instructing, require you to have Alaska time in order to do chargers, or fly or anything. Most places also would rather have someone with less hours and Alaska time than someone with more hours and no AK time.
Good luck

"... to have Alaska time in order to do chargers, or fly or anything."

"Chargers" Sign me up! They sound fun!

Dan

PA-44Typed said:
I'm going up there this summer for a seasonal gig. Most of the time the hours are long, the pay low. So I’m not sure if I would want this kind of flying if I was retired. If you go knock on some doors, send out some e-mails, with your amount of time you shouldn’t have any trouble if you want to work.

[/QUOTE

HA! Low pay! You are so misinformed! Or you took the wrong job! Alaska jobs pay way better than anything down south by far!

Mel,

First the attitude of these young wippersnappers pisses me off. For the most part they are worthless and just crack up your airplanes, are very unreliable, then just when they know how to get around without killing your passengers they leave. So much for how I feel about the young smart A&&&&.
Flying in Alaska. Alaska needs good pilots that have maturity and are willing to work hard. Most Alaska pilots have zillions of hours and are humble and wonderful people, they fly in Alaska because they love the state and enjoy flying there. The best jobs for your type of experience are flying for the sport fishing lodges. You fly the people to the fishing hole and you look like a hero because every fishing hole is awesome compared to anything else in the world. The lodges in the Bristol Bay Area are the best. Alaska jobs comes through relationships and people knowing you. The best thing you can do it go up there, work your way to Bristol Bay and talk man and man with the owners. A handshake means everything in Alaska and will go a long way. People never forget, which is why whippersnappers will never make it in Alaska long term, they get a bad name and they are toast. We have a few Alaskan gents on this board that are great Mar, A-Squared to name a few. They welcome good pilots especially in the summer as there is a lot of work to do.

Dave

Warbelows Air Ventures in Fairbanks hires extra pilots in the summer for the tour flights to Ft. Yukon. You also have to do some regular flying in the afternoons before the tour flights. They use Navajos and are a good operation with a very good safety record.

I think all the spots for this summer are already filled, but give them a call and you might get lucky. If not, you'll be ready for next summer.

http://www.warbelows.com

HAL

TurboS7 said:
Mel,

First the attitude of these young wippersnappers pisses me off. For the most part they are worthless and just crack up your airplanes, are very unreliable, then just when they know how to get around without killing your passengers they leave. So much for how I feel about the young smart A&&&&.
Flying in Alaska. Alaska needs good pilots that have maturity and are willing to work hard. Most Alaska pilots have zillions of hours and are humble and wonderful people, they fly in Alaska because they love the state and enjoy flying there. The best jobs for your type of experience are flying for the sport fishing lodges. You fly the people to the fishing hole and you look like a hero because every fishing hole is awesome compared to anything else in the world. The lodges in the Bristol Bay Area are the best. Alaska jobs comes through relationships and people knowing you. The best thing you can do it go up there, work your way to Bristol Bay and talk man and man with the owners. A handshake means everything in Alaska and will go a long way. People never forget, which is why whippersnappers will never make it in Alaska long term, they get a bad name and they are toast. We have a few Alaskan gents on this board that are great Mar, A-Squared to name a few. They welcome good pilots especially in the summer as there is a lot of work to do.

Dave

sounds like you have an attitude problem, buddy!

N8055Z piled up on the West Bank outside of Naknek by a young wippersnapper. N3884W ran off the end of the runway and crashed in a lake by a young wippersnapper. N4175R crashed at DPA by a young wippersnapper. 3 airplanes destroyed by young wippersnappers, all the airplanes were owned by me. You guys act like the world owes you a living, and you are super pilots at 300 hours. If I have an attitude I have a good reason for it.

TurboS7 said:
N8055Z piled up on the West Bank outside of Naknek by a young wippersnapper. N3884W ran off the end of the runway and crashed in a lake by a young wippersnapper. N4175R crashed at DPA by a young wippersnapper. 3 airplanes destroyed by young wippersnappers, all the airplanes were owned by me. You guys act like the world owes you a living, and you are super pilots at 300 hours. If I have an attitude I have a good reason for it.

Sounds like you don't do a very good job of hiring folks. . . If you are hiring folks with 300 hours then its your fault. . . Maybe crappy training also. . .I have seen plenty of old farts ball stuff up as well as young inexperienced guys. Instead of generalizing, maybe you should improve your training program!

Your post is one of the most ignorant I have ever seen! With your attitude, you might be next.

Sorry Hangar Rat, but you are the one who needs an attitude check.

I've flown in Alaska and what TurboS7 said is 100% accurate. Those who are careful and smart and know what they are doing will do well up there. Those who are 'young whippersnappers' had better listen and follow those that have been there before or they will end up in a ball of aluminum on the side of a hill somewhere. I've seen it, and Turbo's right.

Unless you can point to a bunch of pages in your logbook that list out-of-the-way destinations in AK, reserve judgement for those who have been there.

HAL

Latest resources

Back