• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Skywest denial

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thanks for the good luck wishes. You may read into my post that way IBNAV8R but you and I both know that frustration in trying to read emotions and inflections when typing in text. As I said; no malice- just trying to figure out the logic behind this on the company side. I truly was interested in a position there and (rightfully?) see myself as someone pretty qualified for the position. I don't see how anyone in hiring can have any "perceived" notions from my resume and online application other than - "hey, this guy wants to work here."?

LXA,
Had a buddy with 6500+ hrs, multiple types, and multiple recommendations, couldn't get called. Only thing I can figger is they only want low time, impressionable, goobers who will insert their own IV for the kook-aid drip. And yes the morale is in the toilet.
PBR

Had a buddy with 6500+ hrs, multiple types, and multiple recommendations, couldn't get called. Only thing I can figger is they only want low time, impressionable, goobers who will insert their own IV for the kook-aid drip. PBR

Exactly what I was going to say. By the way LXApilog, XJT hires high time guys...well I dont know anymore since we are owned by Skywest now...nevermind....but we are already ALPA so it probably doesn't matter to them as much to be impressionable.

Last edited:
Same thing happened to me in 99. Was informed by the Fresno Chief Pilot Skywest would not consider me because "I had to much time" Oh well.......... all things happen for a reason! The thrill of pulling gear in "a jet" has departed the pattern a long time ago!!!!!!!!!

"BizAv stink".

You're not the first out-of-work corporate/charter/fractional pilot that a regional won't consider while scooping up dozens of 500-1500tt pilots with very little or no turbine experience. Its not personal, just a business decision - as others have said they want pilots who have greater odds of sticking around a while, if only because they don't have enough experience to go anywhere else. They probably have hired enough to know that with your experience, the odds of you bolting as soon as you got a better offer are high...and really, you'd be crazy if you didn't.

Consider it just another example of how any "pilot shortage" talk is BS.

LXA,
Had a buddy with 6500+ hrs, multiple types, and multiple recommendations, couldn't get called. Only thing I can figger is they only want low time, impressionable, goobers who will insert their own IV for the kook-aid drip. And yes the morale is in the toilet.
PBR

Are you saying the teadrinkers here are finally realizing that TFAYD just isn't cutting it anymore??

I interviewed at SKW a number of years ago after ACA went TU and I was working as a sim instructor. So off I went to SLC for my interview. HR wanted to know how many times IN MY LIFE that I called in sick. What?!
Then the interview CA...The guy was seething of artificial niceness, and started out by asked me this question "You just broke out on an ILS at minimums, how many stripes do you need to see on the runway to know you have legal visibility?"
I wasn't too happy about playing the game, and my answer was rather flippant. "Well, it's been my experience as a 121 captain that if I see a number on the ground, and its the same as the one on my approach plate, I'm not counting stripes, I'm landing on it. Besides, it's pretty assuming I'd know this as not all ILS approaches end at 200 feet". He didn't like my answer (surprise).
Then the next was "Draw a winglet and the airflow around it". At that point, I knew they were already done with me, so I just said something to the effect of how the winglet worked but that I wasn't a good artist and that to draw it would be rather foolish as AOA, speed and winglet design will slightly alter the flow (again, not really the best way to answer). I just didn't like the way that the guy was carrying himself at me, all 24 years old of him and his "big" 2000-ish hours. So I guess you could say I blew it in a matter of seconds. But really, to treat an experienced guy who was going to start over at a whopping 18 bucks a flight hour, they should show a little more appropriate questioning than the usual "stump the applicant" game that they do to a new guy who is begging for his first job.
I did nail the sim though. Very easy ride. I liked the sim guy but I'm sure that the decision was made long before I got to him.
Needless to say I was not hired, but I didn't really care. It looked like a good place to work, I just didn't want to play the begging game. Things ended up better in the long run for where I am now.
Moral of the story....don't let one interview get you into self-doubt.

For those of you that have applied at SkyWest and didn't get accepted, I wouldn't sweat it too much. If you really want it, try again, I've heard they are going to hire a ton for the foreseeable future and want to run classes of 70 again.

As far as morale being in the toilet, well, that would be saying it in a positive light.

It's really much worse than that, it will be interesting this summer, I for one will not be answering my phone.

For those of you that have applied at SkyWest and didn't get accepted, I wouldn't sweat it too much. If you really want it, try again, I've heard they are going to hire a ton for the foreseeable future and want to run classes of 70 again.

As far as morale being in the toilet, well, that would be saying it in a positive light.

It's really much worse than that, it will be interesting this summer, I for one will not be answering my phone.

I've heard the same number thrown around. 70 a month for 6 months is 420 people. Either we're getting some flying that we don't know about or they are really really understaffed.

I don't see morale as low as some on here claim it is. They are just understaffed and are desperate to cover flying anyway they can. Ethically or un-ethically, once the staffing is fixed I think things will go back to the way they should be.

and what regional airline out there has any better morale? Maybe Republic...

Latest resources

Back