Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

LXApilot

Owes More Than He Makes
Been out of work about six months and have about 5,200tt and 1,500 turbine pic. Thought it would be a good idea to apply to the commuter airlines to "get back in the mix". I've always been interested in working at SkyWest so I applied a few weeks ago; thinking that this would be a good opportunity to work there.

Got this message just a few hours ago: but I've removed my personal info...

To reply to this e-mail, reply to: [email protected].

xxxx xxxxxxx
[email protected]

Dear XXXXX,

Thank you for your expressed desire to work for SkyWest Airlines as a First Officer Pilot. We appreciate your enthusiasm to become a part of our team.

After reviewing your resume, we regret to inform you that you were not chosen at this time. However, we encourage you to monitor our website (www.skywest.com) for future job openings.

Best wishes for success in your employment endeavors and thank you again for your interest in SkyWest Airlines.

Sincerely,

SkyWest Airlines Recruitment

I couldn't stop laughing. Anyone want to explain this one to me? They'll interview an 800tt guy with no turbine but what about all of us guys who have been put on street by dirt-bag operators?

Sorry to hear that, you are just way over qualified for Skywest. Try Republic, they seem to hire only high time guys with ATP certificate.

Good luck to you.

I'm guessing here but I imagine that you are "overqualified" for the position. They assume that as soon as you get current and have a chance to jump ship you will be gone. I am sure they feel they will get more out of their investment in a lower time pilot.

Did you list in the application that you only had ONE wife?

OYS

Ha Ha Ha. Yea. You're supposed to say you have multiple wives, six + kids and say "Oh my heck" a lot!!

Seriously though, that sucks.

Maybe you mentioned "Commuter Airline" and they thought you were stuck in 1980.

LXApilot,

This is simple. They know with your experience you will bolt at the first good offer, which will surely come if the economy ever improves.

I had the same situation between my last airline and my present one. It's not about you, it's about their retention rate and training budget. Sucks for sure, but that's the way the companies see it.

In my case I eventually found a fill in job and sure enough I bolted at the first good opportunity. Good luck to you.

From my past experiences with folks I have sent that got the tumbs down, it comes down to a few reasons.

1. Attitude
2. Knowledge
3. Something in your past that bothers them.

Kinda simple, right?
They (we) need people right now.

Have a buddy that won't do what was requested and yet is bitching to me he hasn't been called for an interview yet.

Slice it however you like, but the fact is that regionals want 21 year-old low time d-bags that they can shove around and intimidate to fly for crap wages and dirt-low rest because they know people need regional time to get hired by real airlines.

Don't sweat it. At least you didn't blow part of your unemployment check going to an interview like I did.

Latest resources

Back