• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Shoes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I had the same problem. I wanted boots, but I didn't want to become a selectee everytime I went through security. I found a pair of standard Justin work boots. These are not the gay pilot boots that Sportys sell. They look nothing like those boots. Anyway, the store claimed that they had no metal only a fiberglass shank. I tried them on and they were like walking on a trampoline. I took the boots to my local airport before I bought them and had the TSA X-Ray them before I started wearing them. No metal what so ever. I have been wearing these boots for about six months and they still look brand new. Even the soles look new and I am very hard on shoes. No laces so they slip on and off very easy. They cost about $130, but well worth the price, especially for water proof boots.

Aviat Heritage Ropers

One of the most comfortable boots that I've worn right out of the box.

No steel shank. No "beep". No TSA touching your person.

They have a website.

The only roper boot with a fiberglass shank Justin boots make is style number 3170.
Everything else has a steel shank. Our price is $139.95.

STYLE: 3170
DESC: BLACK MELO-VEAL
SIZE: B 9-12
D 7-12, 13, 14
EE, EEE 6-12, 13

COLOR: BLACK
LEATHER: MELO-VEAL
TOE: J11
HEEL: B
HEIGHT: 10"
INSOLE: CUSHION
OUTSOLE: UNIT NITRILE

Thank you very much,
Alena Reardon
Sales Manager

Crazy Horse Tack & Gift
http://www.equestrian-tack.com
[email protected]
1-800-243-4003
P.O. Box 2244
125 Route 6A
Orleans, Ma 02653

I got a pair of waterproof Rockport shoes bought at Rack-shoes (Nordstrom's discount departement) and simply pulled the insole open and tore out the metal.
Now they are TSA proof but the TSA selects me for special treatment whenever my boss buys a one-way ticket, uniform and id's don't matter. And since they want you to take off your shoes it doesn't matter if the metal is removed or not.
I have been fingerprinted, cleared for training in aircraft over 12500lbs, drive an aircraft every day loaded with people or (hazardoes) cargo, but since I don't have enough frequent flyer miles yet and have a one way ticket I get selected for special treatment, including flight bag search. I bet that flight was a lot safer after I was searched:rolleyes:

Tiberlands have fiberglass shanks and are soooo comfortable. They are cheap too, $50 at PIT in the sky mall.

Aflak!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Skechers

I was in the skechers store yesterday and they make a pair that they advertise is metal dectector friendly. They were fifty bucks and look like normal dress shoes.

ALDO

They have my vote hands down.. The stores are starting to appear at the better malls around the larger cities. I believe they made their name in Canada. Garden State Mall in Joyyysey (NJ) had a nice store.:D :D Very stylish as well and many different styles to be able to choose from. The boot is also comfortable.

3 5 0

You can't go wrong with Doc Martens or Bostonians. I had Ecco's once and was not happy with the way the soles are hollow and fell apart. They are more expensive than Doc's or Bostonians.

I have a pair of Justin boots, style
4763 that have no metal, a soft sole
and foam insole...very comfy and warm
and less slippery in glycol/slush than
most. Great for winter ops! They come
as oil tanned, so it is a beotch to put a
shine on them the first few times. $130,
but to keep your feet warm and dry is
worth it. Also, I got them in DEC 2001, and
still wearing them, so they do last a long
time. Probably the same boot that c210
driver mentioned. Do not buy those gay
sportys boots. 30 years ago the justin
ropers were really well made, but they
cost $90 dollars back then. ya get what
ya pay for! I can't imagine how people
go through the winter getting out on
the ramp worring about stepping into a
puddle of that evil glycol slush and
wonderin if it will go over the top of their
shoes! That has to suck a$$! Course
not everyone works in a pit like STL...
Jet bridge? Real men fly Jetstreams! We
don't need no stinking jetbridge! Geeze!

I have a pair of Dexter dock shoes for
summer street wear, and they have no
metal either (TSA told me looking at them
in my suitcase). Don't know about all of
the dexter line, or if they are still made
here...heard that dexter had closed a
factory.

Good luck, and as my grandpa said, "when
your feet hurt, you hurt all over"

Both are made in the USA if that matters to
you. Does to me.

Good luck

Last edited:
Skechers

Just picked up a pair of Skechers. The model is Scholars - Ivy (#76083). They're a slip-on shoe and I'm told they've got non-metal shanks. I'll be trying them today through the security checkpoint at LAX. I hope that sales girl wasn't full of it.

They were $53 at the Skechers warehouse near where I live. Danged if they aren't comfy-as-heck, too.

Latest resources

Back