Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Gumby_dog

Hi..
I am sick of taking off my dress shoes when I go through security. Does anyone know of a pair of shoes that has NO metal in them? I have bought quite a few lately from salespeople who swear that there is no metal, but of course there is a steel shank.... any ideas? I just want a comfortable shoe that won't make me BEEP! Thanks people. Have a nice day.

get the style that slip on called "Mocs" with rubber soles that everyone who travels is wearing. i think they were popularized due to TSA.

got a pair at wal mart for $5. marked down. they still have the

shank but they go on an off.

either that or get you some black reeboks like some out there do.

shoes

Hey,

I had the same frustrations, but with one pair. I took the shoes to a shoesmith in DFW/Grapevine and they pulled out the metal.

Just look for a shoe and luggage repair store,

I paid $12 for the repair.

I just bought a pair of Deer Stags with the S.U.P.R.O sock, they are okay. Absolutely no metal and they are as comfortable as sneakers, look okay and cost about $35. But next time I am just going by the nice pair of Docker's I had last time around and remove the shank. Does your shoe have steel shanks? To find out remove the insole. Do you see a metal rivot in the heel area and another around the arch area? To remove shank split the cardboard like insole with a straight edge, expose shank and remove.

Check out Echo. They were suggested by my foot Dr, and they have the added benifit of having no metal in them.

They last forever, unlike some other mock dress shoes I've tried where the sole goes away as soon as jet a enters the picture, but they cost a bit more.

DOC's all the way.

Doc Martens are the most comfortable longest lasting shoes out there, and no steel shanks. I ( for those of you who know me) am a large individual, these shoes last forever, my last pair lasted for 6 years, and I had a pair of 12 hole boots that lasted five until i kicked a car wreck trying to open a door and sliced the side open.
They are expensive in this country, I get mine from home for $45, but you really do get what you pay for. They take 2 weeks to break in fully but once they do WOW.
Thanx, Mung.
PS I said F it and will not be changing my name because of a little puke who has no integrity.:p

Deer Stags are cheap, *none* have any metal, they feel like sneakers, but they only look "ok." I heard Rockport was coming out with a none metal shank model but have yet to hear details. I checked into Echo but I don't want to spend $150+ when as a turboprop pilot I will ruin 'em in a second with all our outdoor puddle and ice walking.

I found a pair at JC Penney's for under 40$. The brand is Stafford Company. They look nice and are pretty comfortable. They do have what looks like a metal nameplate on the bottom but I haven't set off any alarms up to this point. Buy two pair and rotate them and they will last forever.

Ecco shoes are great, no metal in them whatsoever, the sole last for a long a$$ time also. The only drawback is they are spendy, but then again you'll have them for a longer time.

I just bought a pair of Florshiems because the store didn't have the Ecco shoes in my size. I have to say the Florshiems are the most comfortable shoe I've had, the way they are made they don't take much to get broke in and once again no metal.

Just remember you get what you pay for, if you buy some crap shoe for 40 bucks your going to get exactly that, crap.

Latest resources

Back