• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Rumor... NJA... Rumor

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
We also were told by the union that it should go away. I'm tired of hearing about the fact that we knew about the gateways. Since we knew, we should just hope that the company will one day change it to be nice? We shouldn't act to improve our QOL and most importantly pay? We should just sit back and continue to struggle to get by? This pre/post contract issue is a cancer to the union. If it doesn't change, the next time around will be very ugly. In my opinion, the company will smell the blood in the water and use it to divide the union. Yeah, there are some drawbacks to the contract. But, everyone is getting a nice raise, and we keep our company paid health care. The mechcanics had to give that up. If the contract goes to 2016, it means we have gained job security and advancement options through the intergration of NJI. Otherwise, I feel we will continue to be in a zero growth mode as the new orders go to NJI/NJE. Of course everyone has to vote what they think is best for them.

Dump ERISA!

Good post Buck! I agree with you, and would like to add that there is a signing bonus: $150 per month on property, caps out at 25K. I'd also like to reiterate what you have said about the retirement insurance needing to go away. It does! That advice was given by lawyers advising 1108 during IBB. Sad to say, its a scam and the idea of protection is an illusion. Many retirees are bogged down in litigation because the system is a nightmare. BO mentioned ERISA and the fact that most pilots are uneducated about the retiree insurance plan. Admittedly, I was as well so I have taken steps to correct that and would like to share what I've learned. It's a mistake to think it lasts a lifetime. It's only a bridge until Medicare kicks in and it often ends at the courthouse... :mad: Those most affected are grandfathered in, but I don't envy them that. Far better to take the company's 50% match for the "catch up" provision in the 401K which starts at age 50. That will be the replacement "plan" and we should all be grateful that the money will be there when we need it at retirement. Please google ERISA medical and see for yourself why you should be thankful for the Union's warning, here's some data to get you started---

Frequently Asked Questions - ERISA Governed Claim Denials

Q1: What Exactly Is ERISA?

A1: ERISA is an acronym for the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974. The body of ERISA law includes the federal statute 29 USC. 1001, et seq.; the federal regulations; and the "common law" (decisional law of the federal courts). ERISA was originally intended to address issues related to pension fund administration; however, today -- primarily as the result of federal judicial decisions over the past two decades -- ERISA controls or impacts practically all employee benefits in the private sector, including employer-sponsored health and disability insurance plans.

Q2: How does ERISA affect me?

A2: If you are a "plan participant", or a dependent, enrolled in an ERISA-governed "employee welfare benefit plan", ERISA has a very direct and profound effect upon your rights to receive plan benefits.

Q3: What is an "Employee Welfare Benefit Plan"?

A3: Practically speaking, an "employee welfare benefit plan" is any plan of benefits provided by an employer in the private sector to an employee, including employer-sponsored medical and disability insurance coverage.

Q4: Doesn't ERISA protect my right to receive benefits under my medical or disability plan?

A4: Yes, to an extent, but the protections of ERISA are rather obscure and minimal. Although ERISA proclaims to give employees greater rights and protections, ERISA has actually stripped employees of many of their rights, particularly as against insurance companies who underwrite and/or administer medical or disability plans. The biggest problem is that the federal ERISA law pre-empts important state consumer insurance laws, relating to group medical or disability insurance, while at the same time there are no federal consumer insurance laws. Thus, by structuring practically all employer-sponsored insurance plans as "employee welfare benefit plans" under ERISA, the insurance industry has, in a very ingenious way, carved out the single greatest immunity from civil liability ever devised.

Q5: If my insurance company wrongfully denies my claim for benefits, can't I sue the insurance company for "bad faith" and get punitive damages?

A5: No. Not if your plan is governed by ERISA. The federal ERISA law pre-empts most state "Bad faith" lawsuits (and punitive damages) and there are no punitive damages available under ERISA, no matter how oppressive an insurance company’s tactics and no matter how frivolous an insurance company’s claim denial.

http://members.aol.com/mmckuin/FAQs-page1.html

I found the above information toward the bottom of page 4 in google results after typing in ERISA medical. The previous entries all appeared to be lawsuit information--not what I expected! Typically, the only ones who actually appear to be benefiting are the lawyers and the insurance companies--certainly not the consumers who are bogged down in legal fights. NJ pilots should be thankful that 1108 is looking out for your long-term interest. Dumping ERISA now can save you money and headaches in the future.
Good Luck!
NJW

Are you selling this thing to us njwife?

Medical Benefits

We also were told by the union that it should go away. I'm tired of hearing about the fact that we knew about the gateways. Since we knew, we should just hope that the company will one day change it to be nice? We shouldn't act to improve our QOL and most importantly pay? We should just sit back and continue to struggle to get by? This pre/post contract issue is a cancer to the union. If it doesn't change, the next time around will be very ugly. In my opinion, the company will smell the blood in the water and use it to divide the union. Yeah, there are some drawbacks to the contract. But, everyone is getting a nice raise, and we keep our company paid health care. The mechcanics had to give that up. If the contract goes to 2016, it means we have gained job security and advancement options through the intergration of NJI. Otherwise, I feel we will continue to be in a zero growth mode as the new orders go to NJI/NJE. Of course everyone has to vote what they think is best for them.

Buckeye,

Did you miss my above post? We are not keeping our company paid medical benefits. By signing this IBB we are giving the company the right to take that away from us. The current CBA protects us from this. I'm not talking about the retirement medical benefits. This is the active pilot benefits!

Secondly, this is not that great of a pay raise over the life of the contract. Why? Because the amendable date is way to far away. I was upset about the 2013 date and then when I learned about the 2016 provision I completely lost interest in the IBB. Sure, under the current conditions, we would be some of the highest paid pilots in the industry. But, historically speaking, over the life of a five year contract, the highest paid pilots generally fall into the middle of the pack as other pilot groups renegotiate their rates. Remember, the majors are growing rapidly and those pilots will begin asking for more money over the next few years. Yes, I believe the pay rates they have negotiated in the IBB are very good. However, I don't know how good those rates are going to be in 2013 much less in 2016. We should have the right to renegotiate these rates by at least 2012. As it stands now it is feasible that we could go through two new CBAs before this IBB would even become amendable. The current CBA is amendable in 2010 and if that one got signed then we would more than likely be doing another one in 2015. Before you start telling me that negotiations take longer than that and it could be 2012 before we actually got a new CBA, keep in mind that also applies to the IBB, which means we could have to live with this thing for more than 10 years.

Extending the contract to 2016 does not provide us with any job security. Integrating the seniority lists provides some scope protection but that's not job security. It's funny how confident the union seemed to be in integrating the seniority lists pior to IBB but then, all of a suddendly, we need to buy it from the company by signing an 8 1/2 year deal. And, keep in mind, the IBB is giving our senior pilots and the NJI guys a pay decrease!

And, just to let you know, the raise I would receive in this IBB could be as high as $50,000 a year since I should be upgrading in the next few months. This is an extremely difficult decision for me and my family.

The reasons I don't like the IBB:

1. Length of contract
2. Possible loss of paid medical benefits
3. Flush bid

Unfortunately, the only good I see in the agreement for my family is the pay increase. I'm afraid it just isn't enough to overcome the cons. Since I haven't been here all that long the signing bonus isn't anywhere near significant enough to sway my opinion.

I am hoping that the Union leadership will start speaking up and turn me into a yes vote but so far that hasn't happened.

Go,

These seniments are being echoed by quite a few people who may not post on the Union board but who will speak loudly when they vote.

Someone had better sell this thing hard before I change my mind. The potential lose of some of the medical benefits may translate into a pay cut when are is said and done.

But at least the post-ratters don't have to drive as far.

I reread the heath care section, and it looks the same as we have currently. Even under the present CBA, it looks like we would have to pay if non bargaining employee groups had to. The "flush bid" , I'm not happy about, but that pretty much is the standard in aviation. At least it we be a preferential bidding process.

Did you miss my above post? We are not keeping our company paid medical benefits. By signing this IBB we are giving the company the right to take that away from us.

From the 2005 CBA currently in effect:

24.1 Medical, Vision, and Dental Insurance
...Effective January 1, 2006, all pilots covered under this Agreement shall be transferred to the Group Medical, Vision, and Dental Plans that the Company provides to non-bargaining employees. ... When pilots are transferred to the Company Group Medical, Vision, and Dental plans they shall be afforded coverage at the cost (if any) and benefit levels provided to non-bargaining unit employees.

In other words, if the other employees pay toward the premiums, so will we. The only protection the current CBA provides is the option for a fixed amount of money towards a union-sponsored medical plan, and those amounts won't buy anywhere close to the insurance we have now. So honestly, there's no real loss there.

Dang it!

It appears I was grossly misinformed regarding our current benefits and the CBA. But I suppose I can be big enough to admit when I am wrong. How 'bout just mistaken?

OK so there's one con going away. See I'm starting to be swayed already. Let's see if anyone can convince me that the longevity of the deal is really a good thing for us. I haven't seen anything from the Union yet that is making me warm and fuzzy about an 8 1/2 year contract!

Thanks for correcting me on the insurance thing guys.

Latest resources

Back