• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Rumor... NJA... Rumor

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
From my post to Wolfpack: some of the pilots have told me that it doesn't have to be that way (being in Teamsters) and they don't like sending a big chunk of their due$ to a national organization they don't even identify with. ...The NJ pilots could drop the IBT label and be richer for it in my opinion. From what I hear, (granted, some of it is secondhand info) I'm not alone in that viewpoint.

So what do you think of this? Is that slight tremor over at the NJ board the sound of restless pilots getting ready to also vote with their feet after they use a long contract as a springboard to launch an in-house union? I know what I'm hearing and I was just wondering what the rest of you have heard. When you start connecting the dots an interesting post IBB picture of the future starts forming on the page. I'm curious as to how many others see it that way?
Well, seeing who you're married to, I'm sure you have a better idea of the direction the wind's blowing than I do. Would your husband be one of the "splinter group?"

I have some concerns if this were to come to pass. First, while $1,000,000 per year going to the IBT sounds like a lot (and it is), it would take quite a while to add up to anything substantial as a "war chest." Second, if we ever did go on strike, having Teamsters refuse to cross our picket line would be a huge help in getting our message across. Finally, BO has publicly stated he will not continue beyond the current term, and I imagine several others in key roles feel the same way. Are there people who are as competent, with the same goals, ready and willing to step in? That is a big unknown. If not, breaking away could be a disaster.

That said, UPS broke away and formed their own union with a whole lot fewer pilots than we have right now, and they have a contract that is the envy of pretty much everyone except FedEx. So it can be done, and successfully. In light of trying to form our own fractional union, the duration of this contract (and the increased dues revenue) obviously works toward easing my first concern. I am sure RTS would prefer we had our own union, rather than the deep pockets and potential support of the IBT.

One other question is what happens with the FLOPS pilots? Do they come along with us, or do they become the de facto 1108 when we leave? And of course, what are the other fracs' (CS, Flex, Avantair) pilots thoughts when one of the big arguments against joining us is removed? I.e., "I don't wanna be part of no truckers' union!"

Does that answer your question?

Well, seeing who you're married to, I'm sure you have a better idea of the direction the wind's blowing than I do. I like gathering info from various sources to get the big picture. Would your husband be one of the "splinter group?" For all I know, half of the NJ pilots could share that goal. I don't think there is an organized coalition, at this point, just a discussion on the direction 1108 should go. When the NJ pilots were preparing to leave 284 I remember hearing the possibility discussed, but obviously the pilots decided they had enough on their plate. Now they're talking about it again and it looks like the timing is better.

I have some concerns if this were to come to pass. First, while $1,000,000 per year going to the IBT sounds like a lot (and it is), it would take quite a while to add up to anything substantial as a "war chest." True, but a long contract would give them a buffer and they could use all that money :eek: currently going to IBT to save for a rainy day. Second, if we ever did go on strike, having Teamsters refuse to cross our picket line would be a huge help in getting our message across. Agreed, IF the NMB would release the pilots...:rolleyes: Not too labor friendly, are they? Finally, BO has publicly stated he will not continue beyond the current term, and I imagine several others in key roles feel the same way. Are there people who are as competent, with the same goals, ready and willing to step in? After everything SU has accomplished I can't imagine them dropping the ball when it's time to pass the baton--in a mixed metaphor way of speaking...:p That is a big unknown. True. They can diligently look for replacements, but the right pilots have to be willing to step up. If not, breaking away could be a disaster. Yes, good leadership would be very important at a time like that. From what I read on the NJ board BO is taking a hands off approach to the discussion, but given Strong-Union's track record, if there was no confidence in a future (hypothetically speaking) "splinter group", I think alarms would be sounded and caution advised, instead.

That said, UPS broke away and formed their own union with a whole lot fewer pilots than we have right now, and they have a contract that is the envy of pretty much everyone except FedEx. Looks like their image/respect that they command went up at the same time. So it can be done, and successfully. In light of trying to form our own fractional union, the duration of this contract (and the increased dues revenue) obviously works toward easing my first concern. That's why I think that this time the possibility is stronger than the last time it was debated. I am sure RTS would prefer we had our own union, rather than the deep pockets and potential support of the IBT. From what I hear, he also doesn't like the Teamsters stigma/reputation (who does...:rolleyes: ) and would rather see NJ pilots have the professional, classy image that NJA strives for.

One other question is what happens with the FLOPS pilots? Do they come along with us, or do they become the de facto 1108 when we leave? I don't know. I've only heard the possibilities stated, as you just did. And of course, what are the other fracs' (CS, Flex, Avantair) pilots thoughts when one of the big arguments against joining us is removed? I.e., "I don't wanna be part of no truckers' union!" Will the NJ pilots ever be free of that image?! Not as long as they carry the IBT label, huh? :( That frustration and the poor return on their dues are two good reasons to step out on their own. Does that answer your question?

It told me that you see the situation exactly like I do and have the same questions. I appreciation you sharing your thoughts, UG. One more question: how many NJ pilots do you think also see it this way. I know a lot of them are proud of being in 1108, but how many are satisfied with belonging to the Teamsters? NJW

I have some concerns if this were to come to pass. First, while $1,000,000 per year going to the IBT sounds like a lot (and it is), it would take quite a while to add up to anything substantial as a "war chest."

Actually that number is much higher. I believe it will be around 2 million next year. Not sure if that is with IBB wages. Don't quote me.

If the IBB passes, we will have plenty of time to build that war chest. As far as "help" from the IBT in the event of a strike, do you really think it would matter. Seriously? I don't. At this point they are worthless to us now and will become more so in the future.
Anyways, I just want the credit card offers to stop.:)

Latest resources

Back