• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Rumor. American to hire by summer?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Mergers always create excess. Prepare for delayed hiring if USAir and AA merge. I do see United/Cal hiring soon though.

I disagree with the US part. Mergers create excess if there is a lot of overlap. I don't see that with this merger, although PHL and JFK are a bit close, but one has more domestic flying(PHL) and the other can do well with O&D traffic alone from NYC. There will also be guarantees by management to local gov'ts to keep bases for a certain amount of time(maybe 2 or so years)to gain Govt approval for the merger. In the meantime, the number of retirements for US and AA will grow. I have heard a lot of the AA guys may leave after they get their merger share ($$$$) after the merger, and that along with the huge number of old timers at US East leaving should lead to continued hiring there most likely.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
I definitely think they'll be hiring by summer. I read somewhere on our union board that they were getting the new hire office reopened starting this spring. As far as who wants to come here, vs DL/UA... remains to be seen. Our TA is quite a bit below theirs, and if I recall, new hire pay is $40/hr vs their 60/hr.

I started class at National on the DC-8. Miami based. Heard we are getting two 747s and maybe some DC-10s. Exciting times.

Latest resources

Back