• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Rumor. American to hire by summer?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Question: It seems like this merger will happen any day, will both sides hire this year until they get stuff worked out?

Question: It seems like this merger will happen any day, will both sides hire this year until they get stuff worked out?

Its just my take on the language of the MOU so take it with a grain of salt. To me it looks like the hiring will actually have to stop on the POR (Plan Of Reorganization) date. According to the road show examples that would be in the neighborhood of 4 to 6 months from when AMR approves the plan. They estimate mid summer. The MOU contains language that states that all new hire positions must be offered to furloughed AA/US Airways pilots first. So that is aprox. 1650 pilots. Even if only 1/2 of them accept that is probably at least one year of school house activity before they would start looking to the street again. I don't even want to take a guess as to what they plan for the Eagle flow thru guys but that could also add to the wait for hiring from the street. This says to me that even with retirements, the off the street hiring is about to have the pause button pushed this summer.

Its just my take on the language of the MOU so take it with a grain of salt. To me it looks like the hiring will actually have to stop on the POR (Plan Of Reorganization) date. According to the road show examples that would be in the neighborhood of 4 to 6 months from when AMR approves the plan. They estimate mid summer. The MOU contains language that states that all new hire positions must be offered to furloughed AA/US Airways pilots first. So that is aprox. 1650 pilots. Even if only 1/2 of them accept that is probably at least one year of school house activity before they would start looking to the street again. I don't even want to take a guess as to what they plan for the Eagle flow thru guys but that could also add to the wait for hiring from the street. This says to me that even with retirements, the off the street hiring is about to have the pause button pushed this summer.

Most of the 1650 have deferred I think only about 600 haven't been offered a recall. At the rate AA is recalling all furloughed should be offered recall by June.

Most of the 1650 have deferred I think only about 600 haven't been offered a recall. At the rate AA is recalling all furloughed should be offered recall by June.

Yeah I knew many have deferred. I guess my knowledge of what exactly that means for them returning to the property is lacking. I read somewhere that when they call the most junior guy then that starts a 3 year clock to return for those who deferred or they are gone. Correct ? I guess the $25k question is how many of those that defer will begin to return over those 3 years and will they be able to meet staffing needs with these guys and the Eagle flow thru's ? Combine those pilots coming back with loss of min fleet (a US Air item ) plus the company bringing in a PBS program and the company may just be able to keep pace with most of the retirements for a little while. I am not saying there will not be hiring off the street at the new AMR, I just think it is going to pause for a moment while they put this whole show together and see what they have. Just my thoughts. YMMV

Only problem is that DC is not their most junior base. That would be JFK/LGA on the Mad Dog, so even the junior AA pilots in DC are not the bottom of the list like Airways.

Actually, I believe MIA/737 is the most junior base/equipment, followed closely by LGA S80/737.

He's right about DCA being half senior, half junior.

Yeah I knew many have deferred. I guess my knowledge of what exactly that means for them returning to the property is lacking. I read somewhere that when they call the most junior guy then that starts a 3 year clock to return for those who deferred or they are gone. Correct ? I guess the $25k question is how many of those that defer will begin to return over those 3 years and will they be able to meet staffing needs with these guys and the Eagle flow thru's ? Combine those pilots coming back with loss of min fleet (a US Air item ) plus the company bringing in a PBS program and the company may just be able to keep pace with most of the retirements for a little while. I am not saying there will not be hiring off the street at the new AMR, I just think it is going to pause for a moment while they put this whole show together and see what they have. Just my thoughts. YMMV

I have a few friends who have or will bypass recall. It is my understanding that the 3 year clock was under the old contract. On another site, someone posted a link to the proposed contract which I believe contains language that indicates that deferrals have 24 months to come back to AA.
Anyone know what the real deal is?????

The 3 year clock after the last pilot to be offered recall is still enforced with a letter of agreement (Letter T) with the new contract.

Latest resources

Back