PRos and Cons of fractionals

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PGTB

FOr an airline guy wanting to switch, what are the differences and pros and cons of flying for fractionals (assuming they hire again). Thanks

Some Pros & Cons depending on the pilot:
1) Airline style schedules
2) Fly with different crews weekly
3) you have OFF days
4) You must be customer service oriented
5) You must be willing to go the extra mile for the customer (within legalities)
6) Pay is generally better than the regional airlines
7) Hours are crazier
8) Airlines you sit a lot in a hotel vs Fractionals you sit a lot at a FBO.
9) Airlines you know when you do an overnight that that same airplane will be waiting for you if you operate the am flight.

Airlines are hiring.
Fractional's aren't.

The fractional world is all about change. Everything changes multiple times a day. You are paired up with a crew and a plane and are on call for all of your duty periods for that tour. It could be late night shows, it could be early morning shows, and more often than not it will be a mixture of both on the same tour.

To me the flying is more interesting than the 121 world. You will go to places you have not ever heard of along with all of the airline hot spots. You will be tasked with making more decisions, both operational and customer service, with your crew than in the 121 world. There are many things that you have seen in airline flying and there are a lot you will learn as you go.

It is a different skill set, something anybody can learn if they are willing to, than flying for the airlines. I think that when the legacy 121 airlines start hiring the fractionals will see the departure of some of their pilots and hiring will resume. If you are looking at the larger fractionals don't expect a quick upgrade. I have been at NetJets just under 5 years, 40 from the bottom and it will be at least another 10 years for me to see the left seat of a small cabin airplane.

Best of luck to you.

Last edited:
Some Pros & Cons depending on the pilot:
1) Airline style schedules
2) Fly with different crews weekly
3) you have OFF days
4) You must be customer service oriented
5) You must be willing to go the extra mile for the customer (within legalities)
6) Pay is generally better than the regional airlines
7) Hours are crazier
8) Airlines you sit a lot in a hotel vs Fractionals you sit a lot at a FBO.
9) Airlines you know when you do an overnight that that same airplane will be waiting for you if you operate the am flight.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

Not true

Very random schedule.
Detachment from company while off, Phone does not ring.
Many destinations
Never know where you will end up
Usually nice and interesting passengers
good equipment
Teterboro
Pay is not bad
week on week off is okay, some people hate it
clean/stock your airplane and check dates of stock
Load pax bags...with a smile every time
Change LAV, can be nasty on some airplanes

you can decide which of those are pro/con

I think there will be hiring soon at CA, not sure about the others. I think there will be a lot of attrition when airlines start to hire. Also, each company varies quite a bit with benefits and pay. NJ being the best but probably wont be hiring for a long time

Last edited:
Here's a comparison to Airline vs. Fractional...

I spent 5 years at ACA, a regional airline flying United Express and Delta Connection colors. They left United and Delta in 2004'ish and became Independence Air and promptly went out of business 14 months later.

Anyway, after Independence Air went under I left to fly for Avantair. My logbook program has a feature where it plots all of your flights on a map. (I use LogBook Pro and Route Browser is the mapping software.)

Take a look at the difference in flying. The first represents 5 years at ACA / Independence Air and the second represents only 3 years flying fractional at Avantair. The difference is striking.

5 years at a Regional (ACA / Independence Air) map
Based in KORD and KIAD for the entire time.

3 years at a Fractional (Avantair) map
Based in KMCO (my home) for the entire time.

After you view the pics, remember the first was 5+ years and the second was only 3! That's the difference if you ask me...

Last edited:
Avantair is hiring, has been for about 6 months. However, the numbers are small. I like it here. Worth a shot if you are customer oriented and meet our mins. Be sure to get a rec if you ever flew with anybody here.

If you are looking at the larger fractionals don't expect a quick upgrade. I have been at NetJets just under 5 years, 40 from the bottom and it will be at least another 10 years for me to see the left seat of a small cabin airplane.

Best of luck to you.

If you were 40 from the bottom you'd be furloughed.

Latest resources

Back