• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

PRos and Cons of fractionals

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FOr an airline guy wanting to switch, what are the differences and pros and cons of flying for fractionals (assuming they hire again). Thanks

Pros:

Home more.
Paid more.
Nice planes.
Nice passengers (they actually ENJOY flying on our fleet).
FBO wait instead of terminal or crew room. (recliners satellite tv, cookies, popcorn, coffee).
Don't get bored of seeing the same airports over and over again.
Don't want to clean the plane or change the lav? Tip someone else to do it.

Cons:
Don't get to eat at the food court in the terminal.
Don't get to be massaged and harassed by TSA daily.
Don't get to have baggage handlers destroy my gear. I really miss having an excuse to buy a new bag every year.

You will learn how bad the airlines suck, and will eventually pity the pilots when you see them walking in the terminal.

You will learn how bad the airlines suck, and will eventually pity the pilots when you see them walking in the terminal.

I've done both Netjets and 5 years at a "better" regional....Some people would not want to do fractional flying...Therefore the pity is not needed. Many, many pilots like the airlines and wouldn't have it any other way.....

Plus the airline guys have a much better schedule... I waited a long time before applying to Netjets purely because of the lack of schedule modifications month to month.. I enjoyed being able to take every tuesday off for poker night, or every thursday off for softball/flag football....Something that we couldn't do at Netjets.

But for overall QOL, Netjets (fractionals) are better in more categories.

Pros:

Home more.
Paid more.
Nice planes.
Nice passengers (they actually ENJOY flying on our fleet).
FBO wait instead of terminal or crew room. (recliners satellite tv, cookies, popcorn, coffee).
Don't get bored of seeing the same airports over and over again.
Don't want to clean the plane or change the lav? Tip someone else to do it.

Cons:
Don't get to eat at the food court in the terminal.
Don't get to be massaged and harassed by TSA daily.
Don't get to have baggage handlers destroy my gear. I really miss having an excuse to buy a new bag every year.

I've done all three now. Regional, Fractional, Major.
I'm off the same amount of days.
I get paid more.
I fly a very nice plane (and don't need a shoe-horn to get into my seat)
Most of our pax are nice, and appreciative.
I don't wait anywhere, whether it be an FBO or terminal. I show up 45 minutes prior to departure. But since you asked, my crewroom is nicer than most FBOs and has all the above mentioned amenities.
I fly into plenty of different airports and have never been bored.
I haven't been massaged by TSA since I last flew with the frac. And I don't have to pack little bottles of toothpaste.
Baggage handlers never touch my bag. I secure it myself in the cockpit with me.
No pity needed here, I'm pretty happy.

I believe we fly(flew) for the same frac. There are many great things about the frac world. You might have touched on some but instead, came across as having a rather large chip on your shoulder.

Cheers.

Of course I did. I'm awesome.

Keep in mind that there is a vast difference between regionals and majors even though both are airlines.
Helm

Keep in mind that there is a vast difference between regionals and majors even though both are airlines.
Helm

Dude, please put a space somewhere between all your starfighter time.

Latest resources

Back