Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
N4niner206 said:
Flyguy,

Sorry to hear that you're stuck waiting too. Are you still working at your previous job? Also, did anyone tell you if you were being hired into a "pool" when you received the call... and if so, did they tell you what the expected from you until they called for training?

After I was told I was in a pool instead of going to class as planned in Dec/Jan I called my flight school and got back my instructor job. I work at a State University 141 school and it was Xmas break so they didn't care. Also took a leave of absense so in the event something like this happened I wouldn't get screwed out of seniority and students in the Spring/Summer...whenever. I was told after Xmas that I would be placed in the Jan 12 class, which would have been the class after you since you were in the pool first....but more AMW pilots needed training so I was placed in the pool for Feb...and so I called at the end of Jan and she said no date was set for Feb yet but it might be March. I asked her if I should study anything, but since you don't get any materials for aircraft/company until school, she said to study the FAR's. Hopefully we hear something soon..would kinda like to get started. Still am applying to other airlines but haven't heard anything yet.

I have the option to go flight instruct, but it definitely would not be for the money...

Do whatever you need to do to stay current, many flight schools in the PHX area. Even if you are doing the instructing part time it will still keep you current and should be extremely short term.

good luck

bobbysamd said:
Sorry to hear about your situation. My only comment would be that while it's great a union rep showed interest the union can't help you much until you become a full-fledged member. At this point you would still be on probation.

As long as it's a conctractual issue, he would be protected under it. It doesn't matter if he's still on probation.

Just like if the contract mandates a minimum amount of days off per month. Just because you're in your first year doesn't mean that they can schedule you for less than what is agreed to in the contract.

N4 this is just the first of many horsefukings you will take from Mesa. If as you say "going to another airline is not an option" learn to live with it, because I guarantee you it gets worse!!! Been there done than got the violated tight brown starfish to prove it.

They fuk you, you upgrade quick, nothing is hidden, the disrespect is mutual. Although I think the days of quick upgrades at Mesa are long gone. What's it up to now? Must be 5 or 6 years in the jet, and still on the way up. Now we still haven't discussed the safety issues I have with Mesa.

Never have you recieved a more truthful response. I assure you.

Mesa messa - then and now

GOD said:
As long as it's a conctractual issue, he would be protected under it. It doesn't matter if he's still on probation.

Just like if the contract mandates a minimum amount of days off per month. Just because you're in your first year doesn't mean that they can schedule you for less than what is agreed to in the contract.
Good reply. But you have a lot of guts using the screenname you're using. :D
islandhopper said:
this is just the first of many horsefukings you will take from Mesa. If as you say "going to another airline is not an option" learn to live with it, because I guarantee you it gets worse!!! Been there done than got the violated tight brown starfish to prove it . . . .
I was an MAPD instructor in 1993. This was during the Risley ownership. The real deal for instructors then, as now, was upgrading to the line. I had lost a job, but, during my interview, the Chief Instructor and Corporate Counsel, Gary Risley, assured me it would be no problem. I was told otherwise when I reported to Corporate. The Chief Instructor insisted that he did not know that job losses precluded one from being hired as a line pilot. How could he not know?? How could the corporate counsel not know?? Needless to say, I stayed at Mesa only as long as necessary.

Last edited:
Well guys,

Talked to someone in training today, and was given a very honest answer as far as keeping current. I was told that they didn't expect much, maybe just an hour or two a month to show that Im still interested and that I can still fly an airplane. Basically, was told to do my best and not to worry too much about it. I guess that was somewhat good news.

Regarding going to another airline... I would LOVE to... but airlines that WERE interested are no longer, since I no longer have a "ton" of time in the last six months, like I did before I was given a Mesa class date. For example, ExpressJet finally called me, but later cancelled my interview date due to this issue (which I can respect). Trust me, I wouldnt hesitate to go somewhere else... I'd be gone in a heartbeat. Im still trying.

So now, I think my best bet may be to just bite the bullet... get in credit card debt and flight instruct til either Mesa calls, or until I can attract another airline/company. At this point I can't think of any other ideas.

N4niner206 said:
I no longer have a "ton" of time in the last six months, like I did before I was given a Mesa class date . . . .
So, get back with your school and get some time. And, keep applying.

Good luck.

N4niner206 said:
So now, I think my best bet may be to just bite the bullet... get in credit card debt and flight instruct til either Mesa calls, or until I can attract another airline/company. At this point I can't think of any other ideas.

N4niner,

You seem like a really solid dude, and I hate to see bad things pile up of good people. Be careful with the credit card debt. Those things can sneak up on you and put you in a ton of hurt in a hurry. That's one snowball you don't want or need rolling down the hill on you.

Things will work out in time. Things are so much easier without the debt hanging over you.

Best of luck.

Vince

Latest resources

Back