MESA PILOTS... (furlough) question from a newbie

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
N4Niner,

Just keep working/looking for work. This industry is just filled with concessions. You just made one when you jumped into your car and started to drive to Indiana. You might have to make another one in accepting employment at a carrier other than MAG.

Sometimes when you think that you scored the "dream" job with the company that you thought would be the best fit for you for any of a number of reasons the perception may not meet the reality of the situation. This is the concept of "Be careful what you wish for, you might get it."

As for the ALPA/MAG entanglement; you will probably not get a lot of support from ALPA as you are still in the probationary period with the company and ALPA. Typically before the first full year of employment (your council might differ on the time frame) support from the union will be minimal at best. Even though the MEC might be interested in your case it sounds mostly to be a political move - I have heard of other cases similar to yours in which action was promised by ALPA but nothing came to fruition.

The inter-relational dynamics of different MEC's in the ALPA fold gives me deep concern. How can the union be above board in their dealings with regional and major carriers? Think about the situation between Comair & Delta. ALPA is going to cater to the MEC that brings them the most money in from collection of dues. Since the average Delta pilot make in 3-4 months what a Comair pilot makes in a year the simple math will tell you who will get the most support. As much as the unions might tout their support of all their members they are still just a business and are driven by the pursuit of profit. Members are just chattel used as means to that end.

Good Luck To Us All!

Last edited:
FearlessFreep said:
N4Niner,

Just keep working/looking for work. This industry is just filled with concessions. You just made one when you jumped into your car and started to drive to Indiana. You might have to make another one in accepting employment at a carrier other than MAG.

Sometimes when you think that you scored the "dream" job with the company that you thought would be the best fit for you for any of a number of reasons the perception may not meet the reality of the situation. This is the concept of "Be careful what you wish for, you might get it."

As for the ALPA/MAG entanglement; you will probably not get a lot of support from ALPA as you are still in the probationary period with the company and ALPA. Typically before the first full year of employment (your council might differ on the time frame) support from the union will be minimal at best. Even though the MEC might be interested in your case it sounds mostly to be a political move - I have heard of other cases similar to yours in which action was promised by ALPA but nothing came to fruition.

The inter-relational dynamics of different MEC's in the ALPA fold gives me deep concern. How can the union be above board in their dealings with regional and major carriers? Think about the situation between Comair & Delta. ALPA is going to cater to the MEC that brings them the most money in from collection of dues. Since the average Delta pilot make in 3-4 months what a Comair pilot makes in a year the simple math will tell you who will get the most support. As much as the unions might tout their support of all their members they are still just a business and are driven by the pursuit of profit. Members are just chattel used as means to that end.

Good Luck To Us All!

This is what makes pay for training so great. You know exactly what you are getting ahead of time.

P-f-t

8HRRULE said:
[Y]ou are getting the ONLY training program outside of the military that offers this method of career advancement.
. . . . assuming, of course, that this "training" is conducted in good faith and you are not artificially washed out, the "guaranteed" interview is conducted in good faith, and that you won't be blackballed later for P-F-Ting. Yes, your wallet will be lighter, very likely by way of fraud.

With few exceptions, e.g., Mesa's MAPD Program , there are few shortcuts. And, even with interviewing successfully after MAPD, if there is no hiring you just may be pooled.

bobbysamd said:
. . . . assuming, of course, that this "training" is conducted in good faith and you are not artificially washed out, the "guaranteed" interview is conducted in good faith, and that you won't be blackballed later for P-F-Ting. Yes, your wallet will be lighter, very likely by way of fraud.

With few exceptions, e.g., Mesa's MAPD Program , there are few shortcuts. And, even with interviewing successfully after MAPD, if there is no hiring you just may be pooled.

How can you defend MAG? How do you sleep at night? In this industry, this is unacceptable.

Mesa Air Group v. MAPD

8HRRULE said:
How can you defend MAG? How do you sleep at night? In this industry, this is unacceptable.
I worked for Mesa twelve years ago as an instructor at MAPD. I stayed only a few months, primarily because the company lied to me about my advancement opportunities. I have written about that experience many times on this board, including earlier in this thread. Is stating that Mesa lied to me a defense of it?

I notice that you have joined this forum only within the last month. I have stated on this board many times for the past four and-a-half years that while I like MAPD I do not like the company. I do not like how it treats its employees; I have first-hand experience with that. I like MAPD because it is an honest means to an end. It works. It is not P-F-T because there is no exchange of money for a job. The only thing MAPD promises is it will train you for your ratings. There is no "guaranteed interview." If things work out, you'll be interviewed and you might be hired. And, if you're hired and get on the line, no one says you have to stay forever. Get enough TJPIC to be competitive and leave.

Last edited:
It is not P-F-T because there is no exchange of money for a job. The only thing MAPD promises is it will train you for your ratings. There is no "guaranteed interview." If things work out, you'll be interviewed and you might be hired. And, if you're hired and get on the line, no one says you have to stay forever. Get enough TJPIC to be competitive and leave.

I have enrolled my daughter (this fall) in the program and dont consider it P-F-T!!
Just like you said-NO GUARANTEES!!! I wish there was a program like this around when I started my ratings.

ps GO RAIDERS!!!

Mesa (using Air Midwest) recently bid on
several EAS cities. I don't know if the
contracts have been awarded yet, but there
are seven cities that they bid on and getting
rid of equipment seems to be a strange thing
to do. They severly underbid Mesaba and
Regions Air (formerly Corporate Airlines) for
this flying. Great Lakes also bid on some of
it.

Anyone know what is up with this twist?

belch,

they will have some surplus assets as they are losing most of their new mexico and arizona flying.

the shuffle continues at air bigmess!

Latest resources

Back