• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Luvin' it...SWA 2nd time hopefuls!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
remember the days when guys would camp out at Cecil Ewell's parking spot just to get in at AA?

or all those ionterns at UAL?

Think who you know in this industry is huge......just my cents

All,

I'm truly impressed by the number of folks on here who have been turned down & the positive upbeat attitude you have toward giving it another try....it speaks volume to your character.

For those who have chosen to go on to other things....I wish you well & success in your flying career. I've commented on this topic many times but always it seems to center on a few things;

1. Be prepared for that next call. Some said they weren't ready, now is the time to get ready (or at least about 3 months prior to your 1 year anniversary).
2. Get your LORs current again; get your logbook up to speed again, spreadsheet to go along with it if it will make your next logbook check go easy (this is a part of the interview so don't be lax about it), all of the other things that we all know goes into preparing to perform at your best...it is kind of like a no-notice checkride....
3. Do an honest appraisal of your last performance; nervousness, LOI - couldn't make the decision or poor demo of CRM, too long winded on the stories, etc. Once you've done that, then press on & stop beating yourself up over it....focus on the "new you" & forget about the past one...focus on the next time and what your strengths are...ask others if you're not sure.
4. Improve oneself, educate, type rating, personal development either in your career or professionally, give something back to others who are in need of your help & who can use it (regardless of what happens with SWA, at the end of the day you'll feel better about yourself & will have helped more folks, never a bad thing)
5. Stay up on what is happening at SWA; make sure your SWA friends know your feelings about SWA as well as those who will be writing LORs (when they get the call for a background check there should be no doubt in their description of you of why you're perfect match for SWA)
6. Be professional and make the right calls at your current job; treat everyone with respect

Again good luck on the 2nd, 3rd or 4th time if you so choose. SWA's system is no more perfect than others....it simply reflects the culture of the company & as we all know, all companies have different cultures.....I'm glad the first girl I thought I'd marry turned out to not be the one (& so is she I'm sure) but I'm glad the right one came along & I convinced her (took several tries) to hang with me....job interviewing or hiring isn't a statement about one's self-worth or value as a contributing human being....it is a business decision based upon factors you're not in control of often times....being told in advance what these factors are wouldn't serve the company or you any purpose other than to create a cookie cutter approach to our new hires. Being honest, being yourself and having a good time will help if for no other reason you've stayed true to yourself (if you're so inclined to have these attributes) Good luck & hang in there.

Great post. It's good to hear positive things about people who didn't get hired. It seems like sometimes the attitude on this board is "If you were good enough you would've been hired."

There is plenty of wisdom is what you posted. Thanks.

I love this info

Thank you so much for the information. I LUV it all. I will be waiting for the next call. Trying to improve anything at all. This is a very positive post which can only help others that wnat a second shot at their dream. I hope others here can help each other getting there by support and education.

I talked with LL in the PD recently. She said that after your year wait your online application comes out of hibernation and is qeued back into the system even though you can still update your resume whenever you want until then. It is at that point that you are fair game to get a second interview phone call. So be ready to rock and roll when this happens.

Last edited:
WOW, that story sounds familiar...

Southwest was always my dream airline, from 1998 onward, it's the one place I really wanted to work. My logbook show something in the neighborhood of 20+ hours with Herb in the back of my Learjet. I finally got the opportunity to interview in August, and a funny thing happened: I didn't get the job. More than likely I got nervous and messed up the LOI. (Interestingly enough, I've had many no-s__t IFE's for real, and always handled them very well. Some days the bear eats you.

Here's my advice to all you SW hopefuls: take it very seriously and prepare constantly. I had been updating for almost five years when they called, and it caught me off guard. I briefly considered doing some prep, but decided I didn't want to appear too canned. BIG mistake. DO THE PREP. You will get insights into what the recruiters are really wanting to know when they ask a specific question. Thus armed, you'll be able show them the "real you" even better. Again, DO THE PREP!

Here's the thing, whoever said one door closes and another opens was correct. The next day after I got the letter, a different major airline called me for an interview. This time I got serious, did two different preps and I got hired.

Best of luck to all my SWA brothers and sisters, but when my year comes up, I'm hoping to be in the schoolhouse, transitioning from the 737 to the 757.

Very familiar story for me as well. I didn't think of anything but Southwest for about 5 years before I got the interview. I prepared for it, had lots of internal recs and I thought it was a positive experience and didn't get hired. That letter really hit me hard. I had not even considered going anywhere else. Probably one of the worst days of my life. The experience taught me not to put all my eggs in one basket no matter how serious my commitment or sincerity is. I ended up using this experience to get myself up and put my energy into another airline that ended up liking me back.

For the brothers or sisters that get hired: Congratulations! and for those who don't -->DO NOT GIVE UP!, it's not the end of the World. Pick yourself back up and continue to try...

Swerpipe,

Great post....you included the one item I forgot to put in my list of things to do..."keep all the lines full baited when fishing"....your story is the perfect example of that....you've obviously done well & should be congratulated...hopefully others will follow your advice.

Swa

Hopefully more will continue to share and give us some guidance. Any bit helps and we got to stick together. Keep the info lines open!

Latest resources

Back