• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Luvin' it...SWA 2nd time hopefuls!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
They should call people they want to hire so that when you go in, you know you have a 75% chance or better of getting the job, not 25%.

How is a company to know who to hire until they meet you? Numbers on a paper is nothing. You need to meet the person to see what they are truly like or a glimpse into it. I for one like the process. I struck out the first time and am waiting on the second. Did it make me hate the company and the process....not at all. Did I try to improve on things I could to be more competative and did it make me take a better look at things I can control....YES. You can't just sit in your same position a year later and think you will get another shot. Change something. Doesn't have to be the company or equipment...just something...even your name....just kidding, that may work now that I think of it. Change or do something in your life that will make you a better person. Before someone goes yelling and screaming on this site, remember how small the industry is and don't let some words come back to haunt you. People can figure out who someone is on this site. Good flying!!

Last edited:
When my dad goy hired at UAL in 1967, the airline of choice for others was Eastern, CAL, Pan Am, TWA. His buddies teased him for going with United. We know what happened to those airlines. Then in the 90s, when guys would go to SWA, its like they where giving up on the dream. Today, it seems that SWA is the dream. Will this cycle continue? Lets hope that Skybus is not the next dream.

Don't be so sure that's a bad thing that you didn't get hired. SWA is not going to perform the way it was predicted last earnings report. Delta lead the way in cutting fares on the LCC routes and SWA has matched. If those fares don't come back up by the first half of 2007 SWA may be reporting losses. If capacity drops, it will be major losses.

I got the "thanks for playing" letter the first time around...I'm hopeful that next spring goes a little better ;)

Go SWA!

How is a company to know who to hire until they meet you? Numbers on a paper is nothing. You need to meet the person to see what they are truly like or a glimpse into it. I for one like the process. I struck out the first time and am waiting on the second. Did it make me hate the company and the process....not at all. Did I try to improve on things I could to be more competative and did it make me take a better look at things I can control....YES. You can't just sit in your same position a year later and think you will get another shot. Change something. Doesn't have to be the company or equipment...just something...even your name....just kidding, that may work now that I think of it. Change or do something in your life that will make you a better person. Before someone goes yelling and screaming on this site, remember how small the industry is and don't let some words come back to haunt you. People can figure out who someone is on this site. Good flying!!

Just look at the numbers that get hired vs. the number that don't the first time. Then look at the number of first time success stories at COntinental or JetBlue or FedEx as a percentage of total interviewees. Much better chances are to be had elsewhere the first time vs SWA. Why is that? I've met some class acts that didn't get hired the first time and some "not-so-great" people that did. Why is that? Simple, the system is flawed. However, I didn't get hired at SWA, so in that case, the system worked ;)

Last edited:
stay strong and focused

I had all my references called. In fact I wrote Herb K. back in 1998 right as I started my flying career and told him SWA was where I wanted to be. He wrote me back. Yes I had herbs letters with me on interview day.

Yes, I got the letter but SWA remains my dream. Nobody says that your dreams are going to be a cake walk. You have to stay motivated and focused on what your dream is, everybody has different dreams, and that's OK. I don't feel hate SWA since that I did not make it the first time. I would be ignorant to think that I should get hired considering the company I interviewed with that day. Sure it hurt not to get the call but but that should not be the end if flying at SWA is your dream like mine.

Ever heard of Jimmy Valvano...that should be motivation enough. What a speech?! I know where I want to be and their are others out there as well. Don't give up!

Would you tell your child to give up on his/her dreams? No, you would support them and give them advice that will help them accomplish their dreams. That is the reason for this post.

Simple, the system is flawed.

Complete BS and you know it.

We have a system, it works great.

It allows a mass of folks WHO MEET the minimums an OPPORTUNITY to interview. What YOU do with that interview is up to you (to include background, references, experience, prep, etc). To my knowledge you won't find that anywhere else.

You don't want to be called for an interview unless you have a 100% chance? Simple, apply elsewhere. And good luck.

The flaw is using people to hire people. But I'm not sure what alternative we have. Our system of interviewing is not perfect, by far, but I'll be damned if anyone else does it better and has had the success at hiring such depth and diversity into their cockpits as SWA.

I've flown with ex-astronauts, ex-Thunderbirds, ex-college dropouts, ex-attorneys, ex-freight dogs, ex-test pilots, ex-commuter dudes, ex-corporate dudes, ex-tanker dudes, ex-fighter dudes, and a couple of current buttholes. There is a trend here. Ex would be the operative word. There is a distinct difference between desperation and desire. Southwest wants people that desire to be a member of the Southwest family. Flying is such a small part of the collective equation. I agree that it is difficult to spend $8000.00 to buy a type without any guarantee but I paid a lot more for my other certificates and I sleep very well at night with the decision I made. It was an investment and therefore, the cost of doing business.

The personality portion is the hard one. Any schmuck can fly an approach and not kill anyone. You have only three 45 minute interviews and during those and your LOI you have to show those folks who you really are. It doesn't matter if your prepped or not or if your an ace or a good bull$hitter. What matters is what they read between the lines and in between stories. They are pros and can tell who fits and who doesn't. Sadly, a large number of those turned down shouldn't have been; but the system is run by imperfect people who misread an answer, didn't listen attentively, or are having a bad day. On the whole, the systems is very effective and I am glad we have it. The test is in our performance as an airline, in which the pilot contribute. It appears we pass.

HYPERBOY.. You will be smilin next year! I also did not get hired. Did not impress the recruiters enough and very impressive group of pilots also trying to get the job tough calls for the recruiters to make and their system really does hire a diverse mix. All we can do is build more expereince and walk the walk not just talk the talk. lets try to get involved in mentoring in our present companies, maybe become check airmen. Surely we shall build more PIC and then maybe even get involve in the community you live in. Help people outside flying while there is a limit how much you can shine as a pilot. As a human being doing good deeds there is no limit to how much goodness you can deal. That is very impressive and SWA wants you to impress them and I hope to use my 1+ years waiting for another interveiw improving myself in all areas so that when I walk out of my next interveiw the fellows would say I am impressed by the progress, No let them say I am blown off my feet by this Pilot. Goodluck and keep your chin up as you say something that great is worth fighting for and waiting for.

Last edited:
Southwest was always my dream airline, from 1998 onward, it's the one place I really wanted to work. My logbook show something in the neighborhood of 20+ hours with Herb in the back of my Learjet. I finally got the opportunity to interview in August, and a funny thing happened: I didn't get the job. More than likely I got nervous and messed up the LOI. (Interestingly enough, I've had many no-s__t IFE's for real, and always handled them very well. Some days the bear eats you.

Here's my advice to all you SW hopefuls: take it very seriously and prepare constantly. I had been updating for almost five years when they called, and it caught me off guard. I briefly considered doing some prep, but decided I didn't want to appear too canned. BIG mistake. DO THE PREP. You will get insights into what the recruiters are really wanting to know when they ask a specific question. Thus armed, you'll be able show them the "real you" even better. Again, DO THE PREP!

Here's the thing, whoever said one door closes and another opens was correct. The next day after I got the letter, a different major airline called me for an interview. This time I got serious, did two different preps and I got hired.

Best of luck to all my SWA brothers and sisters, but when my year comes up, I'm hoping to be in the schoolhouse, transitioning from the 737 to the 757.

Latest resources

Back