• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Just Got Off Work - Welcome To My Hell

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Why is it that students have no trouble at all maintaining 2,600 (or 3,100, 3,400...etc) but can not seem to manage to hit the 0 or 5?

I remember one of my first students who loved being at 2,600. On one flight I made the suggestion that he try to get his altitude on exactly 2,500 feet. He closed one eye, squinted atthe altimiter then reached up and turned the knob to nail 2,500 feet. After that I made a point of specifying that the airplane should move to the required altitude.

starvingcfi,

just do what the rest of us CFIs did.....drink a lot after a day like that.....

I think YOU WILL look back at being a CFi as lot of fun, but something you would nver want to repeat!

i think you're right. i'm having a lot of fun, but i would never want to go through this again. just so many hoops to jump through. i've been working on that multi hoop for the past year. networking. trying to find something. so far, this year, i've gotten 8 hours of multi. 3 hrs i paid for. the other 5 i lucked out and got a trip with another instructor. one time deal. it's hard, but i'm still looking. any leads? thanks a lot.

starvingcfi

HAHAHAHAHA.

So funny! My grandpa used to flight instruct and he put his students in spins while on downwind when they started getting cocky. He said he wouldn't help them recover. He's 87 now, so I guess he and his students lived. Times were different. But one thing stays the same. You've gotta have confidence in the quality of instruction you are providing. That helps me to not grab the controls.
About that hearing thing. Its true, the first thing to go when you're stressed is your ability to hear. Plus anything you do hear is not understood completely as it would be in a classroom. I say the cockpit is a lousy classroom. Thorough pre and post briefing plus student effort at home helps me to be a decent instructor in the cockpit. For every hour of flying we do YOU will put in at least that much on the ground. Saves them hobbs time=saves them money.

Here's my funny story. I volunteered to administer a simulated instrument checkride to the typical "I want an instrument rating NOW, sign my book" student. He told me during preflight that he was so ready, his instrucor is stalling signing him off. (This is like his fourth instructor because he's hunting for the sign off) Told him we were simulating a real instrument flight. Told him his clearance was on request with me, ATC. (all you instructors know this before flight classroom briefing).
Not one chart out not one tinge of hestation and the guy just took off. "OK, lets put the hood on, I've got the flight controls" I say, feeling somewhat suprised. I give him the controls back in a little nose up unusual attitude and recovers nicely. "What altitude are you climbing to and to where and what are you navigating with?" No response- takes out his TERPS and start looking for the local VORTAC. I cut him some slack and remind him of the breifing we agreed to and hooked him up with his clearance. He wrote it on the TERPS. He had the ring binder type NOS charts but no rings so as he wrote he spilled about 3/4 of them on the floor. Told him about how a simple solution like having some paper would make his cockpit more manageable, then nudged him toward the L-chart and we were on our way.
You know when you explain to your student on an approach or something why they just simulated killing themselves? Well, this gentleman must have been part feline because if he was on his own he would have killed himself about nine times in under an hour.
OK, so I give him a little instruction and we're back at it. Just putting in correct radial numbers, let alone actually tracking them, was of utmost difficulty. So he's starting to realize that maybe he's not ready for instrument flying. I'm getting my point across, I think. He's making so many errors that it is starting to become apparent to him.
I suggest we head home and I decide to give him some instruction. I tell him to go direct to a VOR. As he's fiddling with the CDI and before he ID's it I turn the NAV radio off. 'Someone's about to learn a lesson about IDing NAVAIDS' I pleasantly think to myself. We fly for like a minute and he turns to me and says, "Hey, lookie that! Centered needles! Ha! Centered needles!" He was like 90 degrees or more off course.
But I must give him some credit, he landed his brand new $180,000 fully loaded 172 SP on the runway. I wasn't expecting that at all.

Last edited:
just got off work to

I just got home from teaching my two private students. 1 of them can not learn the 360 degrees of the compass to save his life. I tell him 030 and he turns to 330 etc, etc, etc.

My other student this morning could not seem to turn and climb or turn and decend at the same time. So what did I do, took all my instrument covers out and covered everything but the altimiter up including the compass. He did much better after that. I had to cover up the compass because he was trying to make all his turns via the comass not the DG. I explained to the extent primary students need to know lead and lag but he still was trying to roll out late and too soon.

It is all pretty funny though and was laughing my but off here reading all this.

Wannabe FO:

Just think, all that experience watching over guys that are behind the airplane will come in very handy when you are a commuter captain flying with a 400 hr bridge program grad who thought that being a CFI was beneath him.

Think I'm kiddin'? Only a little.

A good CFI impresses me WAY more than an average airline pilot.

CFI

100LL... Again! said:
Wannabe FO:

Just think, all that experience watching over guys that are behind the airplane will come in very handy when you are a commuter captain flying with a 400 hr bridge program grad who thought that being a CFI was beneath him.

Think I'm kiddin'? Only a little.

Now, aren't you glad you guys became instructors? See how much you're really learning about flying?

Maybe I contributed by turning out competent pilots. Many of my students went on to the airlines. As it turned out, my students were the best instructors I ever had.

Am I the only one who used to carry a squirt gun on lessons?

I'd give the students 3 trys before they got blasted.

"Watch your altitude."

"Watch your altitude."

"Watch your altitude."

SQUIRT SQUIRT SQUIRT

Worked like a charm.

(I used to use the same technique on FOs, til the TSA started confiscating my squirtguns)

100LL... Again! said:
Wannabe FO:

Thank 100LL. It's good to be reminded of every now and then.

Fly safe,

scoot

Latest resources

Back