• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Just Got Off Work - Welcome To My Hell

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well my "favorite" student was telling me one time that as a kid he designed aircraft. One day a guy at the airport was looking at his drawing and a year or so later Rutan came out with his veri-ez which looked surprisingly like this guy's. So just so everyone knows Burt Rutan stole the idea from a kid. :confused:

Then he proceeds to tell me about the time machine he designed...Why am I here?!?!?!

My school is working on a little sock monkey for students to take on their flight. Just pull the string:

"Why are we turning?"

"Watch the VSI!"

"Other left"

"There was NO rudder in that turn."

"You're gripping."

"Why are we descending?"

"You're not scanning." (My personal favorite)

Also going to put a little shock collar on the yoke. If they grip, *ZAP.*

Instructing is fun, really.

Fly SAFE!
Jedi Nein

Welcome to MY hell...

Welcome abourd maam, I'm sorry but I have to tell you about the doors and seatbelts before we can go.....I'm sorry maam, we don't have Evian, will Perrier do? I'm sorry about that....Sure your dog can be out of his carrier as long as the little fuc..I mean the little cutie doesn't come up to the cockpit....It might be a little bumpy as we go down through these clouds, could you please put your belt back on? No, I'm sorry, we don't have an extension with us on this flight....Well I'm sorry, but technically this IS a commercial flight and therefore smoking is prohibited by law....We'll know and that's enough for us....Yes I'm SURE we don't have any Evian, I'm sorry....It's OK, we'll clean that up when we get on the ground, maybe he should get back in his cage now?....Just a minute please, I'm talking to the tower...No Maam, we will be right on time.....My sheet says you wanted to arrive at 9:45. I'm sorry, our paperwork must be in error on that....What's B***don doing on the appraoch to TPA at 2600 feet?...Yes captain, I do think that you are a little high on this approach, but at least you have that extra 50 knots...Yes Maam, I'll be sure and get some Evian for the return trip, could you take your seat please? That big road down there is the runway....No Maam, if we depart after 9:00 we will be illegal to fly because of duty time requirements...I'm sorry, our scheduler should have told you that like she has every customer since we began operations....Yes Maam, i'm going to get the Evian as soon as I get you into your limo...See you for the return trip. We'll be waiting right here(for hours.)

Starvin' see what you have to look forward to?

It's all good....

Hey Starving,

Just remember you were a primary student at one time. I know your patience may wear thin. Just remember that YOUR primary instructor might have felt the same way about you.

Tolerance and patience in this business are attributes that we should all indulge in a bit more. As you move forward in your career you will hope that people will extend that tolerance and patience to you. Just remember in this business you are never not a student.

Anyway, your flying, getting paid and having fun. That's the important part! I am sure that there are plenty of people at this point in time that are envious of you situation.

Good Luck To Us All!

The other side of the desk/cockpit

Very good post above.

Example: Four duals in one day with primary students, showing them stalls again and again, and your students not getting it, again and again, can test anyone's patience. However, you must remember that while it's old to you it's new to your students. Just be patient. If you can teach, they can learn.

I was just thinking about this thread today as I was riding the crew bus back to my car. As much as I love the airline flying, it repeats itself a lot! Sure we have the ocassional problem but I don't think it was nearly as fun as busting around in "small" airplanes! By the way, I consider the CRJ to still be a small airplane, it may look big next to a C172, but put it next to it's competitors, it's pretty tiny.

Anyway, from going for the $100 hamburger or instructing a primary who hasn't figured out how to taxi yet, it was all fun.

One of my favorite memories was instructing a good buddy of mine (not a good idea as instructing is usually thrown out the window and it turns into two guys F#$%*@$ around).

Anyway, we went up in a light twin, it was the day after a blizzard and only about -20 degrees C on the ground. I was getting ready to sign him off for his AMEL checkride, we only had this one opportunity to fly together. We were shutting down engines left and right, stalls, all sorts of stuff that normally is not a hazard, unless it's about -20 degrees C.

we never had any problems getting them started again but it probably wasn't the best for the engines....oh well. Came back to land, and just about slid off the snow/ice covered runway. Trying to be the good instructor, I just sat there with my hands in my lap while he struggled to keep it in between the lights. It was great! He later told me that his other instructor would have never gone up and surely wouldn't have let him land on that runway!

Stuff like that makes it fun! Airlines are fun too but to all the CFI's and aspiring CFI's out there, half the fun is the journey, not the destination.

Latest resources

Back