JO Decides Code-Shares Are Better Than Flying Empty in HI

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
mdanno808 said:
Unfortunately, it isn't JO who will feel all of the hostility from the people in Hawaii, it will be his employees.

what's a little felony assault charge if you had the chance to false Johnny O? Get a good attorney & i'm sure you could beat the rap, or just make moke and flee the scene!

speak for yourself...

Soverytired said:
Long time Mesa employees are (or should be) scared to death that some other carrier is going to underbid our contract flying with cheaper rates . . . that would destroy OUR status quo.

Speak for yourself and not ALL of the long time Mesa employees, please.

I am NOT worried about other carriers underbidding us. What worries me is that our codeshare partners are going to get smart and realize that by paying someone else a little, or maybe a lot, more they could get them a better product. And maybe a better regional product will pay dividends in the long run.

But, then again, is it possible for airline management types to thing REALLY long term?

things that make you go "hmmm?"

flyer172r said:
Why is he doing this if he's already planning on losing money.

This is what we all want to know. WHY? I know a lot of you folks don't like JO, and I understand why. However, if you think he is stupid you are mistaken. Capable of errors of judgement, absolutely...just like you and me. Letting his pride and ego get the best of him? Certainly possible.

Maybe I am being cynical, but to me it looks like a way to lose some money...not a lot, but just enough, so that when it comes contract negotiation time in 2007 he can say, "Look, we are losing money. We can't afford to pay what you want."

The guy is not an idiot and he definitely has reasons for doing this.

And to mdanno808 who pointed out that JO previously stated that he is going after the local market...one thing you quickly learn about JO is that he is very good at telling his audience exactly what THEY want to hear. He can be very persuasive.

SpacemanSpiff said:
Speak for yourself and not ALL of the long time Mesa employees, please.

I am NOT worried about other carriers underbidding us. What worries me is that our codeshare partners are going to get smart and realize that by paying someone else a little, or maybe a lot, more they could get them a better product.

Heh. Touche. Good point . . . but I really think the quality of service differences among regionals is pretty minor. Plus . . . with gas going outta sight for the foreseeable future, cheaper CRJ vendors = a heck o'alot'a sense.

SpacemanSpiff said:
Maybe I am being cynical, but to me it looks like a way to lose some money...not a lot, but just enough, so that when it comes contract negotiation time in 2007 he can say, "Look, we are losing money. We can't afford to pay what you want.

No, you're DEFINITELY are being cynical. JO's gonna burn 25+million at least on this Hawaii op . . . far more than any contract improvements we're likely to get. There is definitely more to the Hawaii op than meets the eye (my pet theory: narrow bodies at MAG), but I doubt it's just to spite the pilots 4 years from now.

Application Fee? YGBSM!!!

I saw the Ad where Mesa is hiring 100 flight crew by the end of the month. Just for $h!ts Grins and Giggles, I went to the websight and then I read that linked article from Future Airline Pilots Mag. I kept reading it until I came to the statement that pilots "Must bring $50 cash or credit card to pay the application fee".

No wonder JO can afford doing a start up! Not only do they have some of the lowest wages (I'd never equal my current salary there) in the business, but you gotta pay them to accept your application!?!? C'mon you guys! This bottom feeder ain't worth it!

And I thought PFT was an insult...

AerroMatt said:
I saw the Ad where Mesa is hiring 100 flight crew by the end of the month. Just for $h!ts Grins and Giggles, I went to the websight and then I read that linked article from Future Airline Pilots Mag. I kept reading it until I came to the statement that pilots "Must bring $50 cash or credit card to pay the application fee".

Uh, lots of airlines have a fee associated with applications. But Mesa uses "AirlineApps.com" (as does Continental, Frontier, Spirit, Go! (heh)), which I believe is free.

Helps keep the non-serious candidates from applying for the heck of it (and swamping the airline with applicants who have no intent of either interviewing or accepting a job offer)

First time you've ever applied for an airline job?

G100driver said:
Perhaps all of you genious' should become a study of your own industry.

Hint: all of those Caravan's and C-206's overthere did not come over on boat

:confused:

True enough but JO didn't have anything to do with getting them there either.

Flyerjosh said:
Never going to happen. Not without ferry tanks at least:

Assume that the flight is flown at FL340 and .70 mach. That equates to roughly 405 knots true airspeed assuming standard atmosphere. SFO-HNL is a distance of 2082NM direct. Add an extra 5% (105NM) for routing/vectors and you come up with 2187NM distance.

So 2187NM divided by 405knots = 5:24 block time, take off to touchdown. Add on an additional 5% to correct for the fact that you aren't going to average 405kts (lower due to climb and time at lower altitudes), and you come up with 5:40. Add an additional :45 minutes and you need just under 6:30 worth of fuel, and that doesn't account for taxi time, delays, less than perfect profiles, or headwinds enroute.

14518LBS is the absolute maximum useable fuel. If you consider that the odds of a perfect refueling, fuel gauge inaccuracies, tank malformations and other things that might affect the total load, I'd only want to count 14000 of that as actually onboard/useable (personally).

So 14000 of fuel, divided by a flying time of 5:40 means that you have to have an average burn of no more than 2470lbs/hour (without reserves or taxi). No CRJ that I know of will make that.

So sounds like ferry tanks, dismantle and ship, or a really long glide at the end!

But if you only run on one engine......

;)

SpacemanSpiff said:
I am NOT worried about other carriers underbidding us.

Well no sh1t you're not worried. Why would the perennial lowest bidders be worried about that?

What worries me is that our codeshare partners are going to get smart and realize that by paying someone else a little, or maybe a lot, more they could get them a better product. And maybe a better regional product will pay dividends in the long run.

I wouldn't worry about that either if I were you. UAL had a much better product with ACA and AWAC than they ever did/will with Mesa and you see how much they cared about that.

Latest resources

Back