• Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

RJP

Registered Eye-Poker
Pacific Business News (Honolulu) - April 11, 2006
http://pacific.bizjournals.com/pacific/stories/2006/04/10/daily19.html

Mesa hopes for go! code shares

Pacific Business News (Honolulu) - 9:36 AM HAST Tuesday

The chief executive officer of Mesa Air Group has revealed a key element of his strategy in launching an interisland service in Hawaii in June: code shares.

In an interview with ATW Daily News, Jonathan Ornstein said he is, according to the online publication, "optimistic the new carrier eventually will strike a code-share arrangement with either US Airways or Delta Air Lines."

Both of those Mainland carriers already have close ties to Mesa Air Group, which principally makes its living as a feeder-service subcontractor for United Airlines, America West Airlines, US Airways and Delta.

Ornstein previously confirmed that one factor in launching service in Hawaii was that it would not compete with these other carriers that are his clients. But it could help his new venture if any of his partners actively fed traffic to the service.

Go!, as the new service will be called, launches June 9 with two regional jets, adding two more by the end of that month. Its introductory fare of $39 one way, sales of which have been extended through Friday of this week, has been matched by both Aloha Airlines and Hawaiian Airlines.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again...Codeshares are worth next to nothing in the interisland market. Didn't JO say he was targeting the local travelers in his earlier BS statements?

BTW, there is a rumor going around that JO is having his crews relocate to Hawaii via the jumpseat. Hope not, cause that is a definite no no.

Separately, Ornstein provided an update on Mesa's plans for inter-island startup go!, which will launch in Hawaii June 9 with four CRJ200s acquired from defunct Independence Air. He said he is optimistic the new carrier eventually will strike a codeshare arrangement with either US Airways or Delta Air Lines. He maintained the financial risk for Mesa will be minimal and said bookings for the introductory $39 fares are encouraging. "If we can run load factors in the 80% range, we're not going to lose much money," he claimed.

:laugh:I can't wait for them to FAIL miserably. JO is the biggest Jack @ss on the planet. You guys at MESA need to make a stand and stop allowing him to throw you around like crap!! WAKE UP!!

How are they even getting the planes over there in the first place? I flew the 50 once upon a time, and I don't recall it having that kind of range from the west coast out to Hawai'i. Are they strapping some extra fuel tanks in the cabin or what???

well let's think about it. sfo-hnl is about 2400miles. The CRJ200 has 14000lbs or so of useable fuel. A cruise burn is approximately 3000lbs per hour which means it should be able to fly for 4 hours and have 2000lbs left over. 4 hours at 600mph (groundspeed) would get it there with a couple of thousand pounds to spare.

Ok guys, these are just approximate figures... flame away.

600MPH GS westbound?? Over the pacific??? Landing with only IFR reserves with crews that have never been more than 50 miles offshore??? Feel free to pick the most ludicrous of the precedeing statements!

mdanno808 said:
Separately, Ornstein provided an update on Mesa's plans for inter-island startup go!, which will launch in Hawaii June 9 with four CRJ200s acquired from defunct Independence Air. He said he is optimistic the new carrier eventually will strike a codeshare arrangement with either US Airways or Delta Air Lines. He maintained the financial risk for Mesa will be minimal and said bookings for the introductory $39 fares are encouraging. "If we can run load factors in the 80% range, we're not going to lose much money," he claimed.

Hardly inspiring words of leadership, I'll be the first to agree. "not lose(ing) much money" is how legacy carriers operate (on a good day). . . . . You should be happy! Mesa will be a "real airline" . . . UNPROFITABLE!

Northwest and Hawaiian just signed an interisland code share . . . are they fools to do this .. . or maybe they think that's a good idea? I still think that's a sideshow . . . .

Real issue is that Mesa needs to start flying like a real airline SOMEWHERE. Our numerous, profitable codeshares keep us out of most mainland markets .. . Hawaii is an exception.

Mesa "Go" will either be profitable and flying 737's in 2 years, or pull out completely. Either way. . . the local carriers are so fantastic (customer service) and their customers are so incredibly loyal (Hawaiian culture), I'm sure Aloha and Hawaiian have nothing to worry about.

Latest resources

Back