Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Former Tranny bidding SW Captain prior to 2015?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Not that it has any relevance at this point but I think in the interests of preserving the SW culture, I believe letting the process play out (as mutually agreed) and taking the SLI to arbitration would've removed the resentment on both sides. After all, don't blame my group or me, blame the arbitrator!
You are right, because thats worked so well for USair.

I'm sorry, did you have a vote in this?

Seriously?
I hate to break it to you but FltInfo is not a SWA specific website, it's a website for people from ALL airlines to voice opinions. In fact, it's good to hear different perspectives from pilots from different backgrounds, you can actually learn something. But again, do you really think you have some kind of SWA exclusivity on here? Don't you guys also have your own internal site? You really think you can voice your opinions from a SWA perspective only and not expect input from anyone that doesn't agree with you?? On an industry wide web board, Really? Sounds like unchecked warrior spirit to me.

Mergers and how they go down are in fact, everyone's business. I actually was hoping SWA would come up with a more civil version. You didn't. So far DAL/NWA has been the fairest in recent years. The way SWA handled it will obviously have consequences, as well it should. If SWA had come up with a more equitable merger they would have had greater harmony, the path they took was at the expense of a more cohesive pilot force. Some will accept it and move on some simply will not forget being screwed by "Gary" and SWAPA. That was SWA's choice.

But the bottom line is your little warrior spirit seems to have blinded you from the fact that other people can and are entitled to have an opinion on this, even if it is different from yours.

Lear, from another thread- can you respond to this? I know you say you have secret notes, but doesn't public trump private? And most I know here say they've never known swa to flat out lie to employee groups.. Which is what you're saying since all the execs have stated numerous times they intended from the beginning to opt out of the 71's when possible.
Alpa on the other hand..., but I digress- below is proof swa and both AT and swa pilots knew from the beginning that 71's were going away.

AFcitrus- do you have timing on that "we love the 717?"
Bc I was in the room months before sl2 hearing GK announcing very publicly that the 717 would not be part of SWA's plan.
This article was in August 2011- the tentative agreement was reached in sept'11, and voted in by 84% in November -
Now can we dispense with the bs that somehow AT was mislead?
Here's the public part:
http://www.aviationpros.com/news/10372945/southwest-boeing-717-not-part-of-future-fleet-plans

TERRY MAXON
SOURCE: THE DALLAS MORNING NEWS
CREATED: AUGUST 30, 2011
--

Aug. 30--ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. -- Southwest Airlines Co. has concluded that the small Boeing 717s that it picked up in the AirTran Airways Inc. merger don't really fit into its fleet plans, chairman and chief executive Gary Kelly said Monday.

"It's not different enough or unique enough that it really brings any advantage beyond what a 737 would do," Kelly said at the Boyd Group International aviation conference at a resort near Albuquerque.

With leases expiring between 2017 and 2024, the airplanes may stay in the Southwest fleet for quite a while, but Kelly said the future of the 717s, which it leases from Boeing, is among the matters under discussion as Southwest talks to Boeing about future aircraft orders.

"It's a good airplane, but not one that I see we have to maintain for the next 20 years," Kelly said.

Kelly noted that Southwest didn't see a need for anything smaller than its 137-seat Boeing 737-700s before deciding in 2010 to buy AirTran. Southwest operates 25 Boeing 737-500s, which has 122 seats, but hasn't bought any that size in two decades."

Also:
Aug 5, 2011: http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/southwest-appears-less-bullish-on-717-360443/

Aug 30, 2011- USA today- Are air tran pilots the one pilot group that doesn't read the mcpaper?
http://travel.usatoday.com/flights/post/2011/08/southwest-boeing-717/545260/1

CAPTIONBy Ben Mutzabaugh, USA TODAY
Southwest CEO Gary Kelly says the Boeing 717s acquired in his airline's acquisition of AirTran will disappear from the company's fleet sooner than later.

Dan, aren't you simply afraid swa will buy Hawaiian? And like PCL years before, you also don't believe your pilots would do well in an acquisition situation?
Isn't that the deal- you've put your eggs in a niche carrier that is a takeover target and don't like the leverage you have in that situation....
I mean that's it, right? You want more than the leverage you have would give.

SWA was so concerned about the culture going into this that I hope they didn't f&^k it up handling the merger the way they did. I try not to be a negative Nelly on here, but moral and spirits really suck on this side of the fence. And the animosity seems to be getting worse. What a total cluster ....

Apparently you morons like to ignore how the world works. The company isn't afraid of a lawsuit from some ass pilot...

Dan, aren't you simply afraid swa will buy Hawaiian? And like PCL years before, you also don't believe your pilots would do well in an acquisition situation?
Isn't that the deal- you've put your eggs in a niche carrier that is a takeover target and don't like the leverage you have in that situation....
I mean that's it, right? You want more than the leverage you have would give.

I'm sure he's not worried about that. Unlike our pilots, I'm sure the HAL pilots would stand up for themselves. Unfortunately, that's bad for the ATN pilots (again), because we would end up under all of them as well after they get a fair integration. Personally, I'm hoping and praying that Gary decides organic growth is better for the next 20 years.

Latest resources

Back