Flight Options?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

The Kman

Greetings to all. I will try to keep this simple. I have been offered a position with Flight Options. Should I stay at my shrinking 'wholly owned' or move on?

Ummm...No.

I highly recommend you use the search function and do your research on Flight Options.

Not here, not right now would be my suggestion. Until we have a CBA, this is not a good place to be. You might also want to read the following:

The Flight Options Blog has two stories on it now talking about how our company helped an owner dealing with a friend's son's death, and another one that talks of an owner going through cancer, and all the stuff the company did for them, which was really not much more than what their jobs were supposed to do.​

The company says that its team members and owners are equally important to the success of the business. Yet when we have a pilot die, or a pilot's spouse die, it has been a nightmare for the survivor and their family:​

One person I know, who was a flight options pilot here and married to another flight options pilot, had her husband pass away. It was a very difficult time, prolonged and painful, and extremely sad. The very young and fairly newly-wed couple had paid for the extra insurance (the multiplier), and the company did not want to pay it, because although they took the money out, the company never told the insurance company. It was a big HR mess and screw-up, and at an extremely stressful and emotional time. Additional stress was added to an extremely traumatic - in fact, I'd say THE most traumatic period of her life, and she had to FIGHT to get her money, with the company and the insurance company both pointing fingers at each other as who was at fault, and neither one wanting to pay up. Then, on top of that, they screwed up her pay while on berievement leave. I can't remember the amount she was paid but it was a ridiculously low amount of money. ANOTHER HR screw-up. Again, she had to FIGHT for her money. Then on top of THAT, she wanted additional time off as she wasn't emotionally ready to go back to work after her initial leave, still handing affairs, etc., and it was refused because "they couldn't afford her to be gone any longer".... when at the very same time not one, but TWO of her program managers who flew the same airplane WENT ON VACATION that very same time period. She went anyways and basically told them to fire her if they wanted, but she wasn't going to work. They didn't. But the stress and anger over the whole situation was too much for her and she no longer works here, now. She quit, flies out of her home domicile, is home almost every night and doubled her salary. Way to go, Flight Options Team!​

Then, we have our pilots who are currently fighting cancer and fighting for their very lives. What does our company do? Even though they are still full-time employees, and were at the time of diagnosis, our company makes them COBRA to pay for their insurance benefits. They do NOT have to force this, especially since we self-insure. So not only are these pilots too ill to work and NOT making any money because of their illness, they have to pay half a month's salary per month in insurance benefits just to keep what they had when before they were diagnosed so they can continue their fight. WAY TO GO FLIGHT OPTIONS TEAM!​

REALLY makes you proud to be a team member, don't it? Don't ya FEEL that Corporate pride?​

These are just two stories I will share. I have more I will not. I'm sure others have plenty of horror stories, and yes, I'm sure there are still a few exceptions to the rule. That's the problem. The company is inconsistent in such matters, and sometimes it definitely matters who you know, and there are several stories of favoritism out there as well. I merely point out these two stories because they are a DIRECT contradiction exactly, to the two stories on the Flight Options blog.​

Meanwhile, our pilots are still flying around our executives and/or their spouses from Cleveland to Disneyworld, or New York for shopping sprees, taking a crew and an aircraft (and sometimes a BACKUP just in case their plane breaks!) away from servicing our owners. Our pilots still have NO sick leave at all. On top of that, the company "keeps a record" of whenever a pilot calls in sick, and threatens disciplinary action if someone calls in sick "too many times", and the "number" required to get such disciplinary actions is not established in writing anywhere. Some pilots get more days of sick time than others before they are called in. If you call in sick on day 1, that seems to magnify things. This is, by definition, "pilot pushing", and an example of how our management tries to manage by fear, which can directly affect the safety of a crew and/or their passengers.​

The company is so short of pilots they literally cannot operate without begging pilots to do overtime, something the Union has asked our pilots NOT to do because it falsely inflates the number of pilots the company thinks it needs, at a time where once again we have been threatened in writing with the possibility of up-coming lay-offs. And due to the tyrrany of threats for calling in sick, pilots end up flying sick, getting other pilots and passengers sick because they can't afford to take the time off and lose pay, or are too afraid for fear of retribution, to call in sick.​

Also, since "vacation" is used for sick time, pilots are also forced to fly sick because they can't afford to take any time off, because the company forces us to take our vacations when they want, and it does not take long for pilots to end up in a negative balance, exactly where the company wants them to be.​

We are also still being FORCED to take vacations, with little or no warning, because our "vacation hours" get too high. I personally had this happen and I use all of my leave, every year, for my son who requires extensive medical care and has at least one surgery every other year, or so, lately, so when they forced me to take vacation, I ended up having to go negative on my balance for a scheduled medical trip I had to take. Even after this "re-alignment" they did with everyone's schedules for their new "vacation Award (which is a fancy way of saying "forced vacation policy"), people are still getting assigned forced vacation e-mails like we did before.​

And above all, the company has saw fit to raise our insurance premiums absolutely ridiculous amounts, while at the same time decreasing the benefits we have, every year for the past two years. One flight options manager reportedly admitted that the pilots are paying for the company's negotiations through our insurance premiums. Considering the cost increase per month in the past two years times between 900 and 550 pilots (a corresponding decrease in the number of pilots employed here during the same time frame), that is a LOT of money, when the average increase in healthcare was a mere fraction of the amount of the increases we now are burdened with.​

It's too bad that our company doesn't take all of this "compassion" they flout that they have for the owners and put it toward its own employees. There was a time, before the merger, when they would do such things.​

Our company has lost touch with its employees, regardless of the multi-million dollar waste of money they did on "service on a higher plane".​

Thankfully, we now have a Union and with a contract, we will FORCE our company to remember at least the pilots in such times of need. The company will be FORCED to recognize the need for BOTH Vacation AND sick time, and rules will be established FORCING the company to award vacations properly. We will FORCE our company to give us an industry standard amount of days off instead of the pathetic 12 we get now. Hopefully we won't be raped by the company with having to pay insurance premiums at all. Net Jets pilots pay NOTHING for their insurance, remember - they FORCED their company to pay for them with their solidarity during negotiations. We will have rules established and in writing regarding sick leave, and with our grievance procedures, we will FORCE our company to not be able to terrorize and/or intimidate pilots into flying sick. And we will FORCE our company to NO LONGER be able to just "change" what our insurance benefits are, or what they cost, whenever THEY see fit. ANY changes, WHATSOEVER, would have to be negotiated, and then VOTED ON, by all of us, to become effective.​

By God, we will FORCE our company to be compassionate toward our Pilots, since they do not have the heart or humanity to do it on their own.​

Run Forrest run!

Management is currently threatening furloughs. Empty threats (since they are also hiring). But that should give you a sense of the environment here.

Unless you want to get in the middle of a brutal fight, stay away.

Things look pretty grim at my company. I am a five year f/o with no chance of an upgrade. My QOL of life is rather bad. Our contract is not amendable until 2011. I would think even a fractional in negotiations would be better than this. Is there any guess when a TA might be reached? How often are they meeting? Is the company negotiating in good faith? I originally considered Flight Options so I would not have to commute. Also, once the contract is settled, Flight Options may be the place to be. These are just some of the things my family has been thinking about. On another note, is hiring only due to attrition? Who has been going to Flight Options?

Things look pretty grim at my company. I am a five year f/o with no chance of an upgrade. My QOL of life is rather bad. Our contract is not amendable until 2011. I would think even a fractional in negotiations would be better than this. Is there any guess when a TA might be reached? How often are they meeting? Is the company negotiating in good faith? I originally considered Flight Options so I would not have to commute. Also, once the contract is settled, Flight Options may be the place to be. These are just some of the things my family has been thinking about. On another note, is hiring only due to attrition? Who has been going to Flight Options?

First of all you will be looking at 8 years minimum maybe 9 before you up grade from a FO position to PIC. I kn ow of many 6 year FO's at FLOPS who are still years away from upgrade. So be prepared to sit in the right seat for a while at FO wages.

Second, the CEO just sent out a letter to employees talking about down sizing the company.

Guess who will be the first pilot out the door when this happens????

If you want to roll the dice go ahead.

Last edited:
KMAN
My best suggestion would be to use the search function. It will depict a very difficult world at Flops. The current FLops may make your job not look too bad after all.

Fast

Shoulda thought of that before you said yes to Eagle. It's not exactly a secret that their stupid union signed a 16YEAR contract, I'll say it again 16YEAR contract that gave away the farm just so they could get "flow through" with American on a 4 to 1 basis. Then that contract allowed American furloughs to "flow back" and decimate the captain ranks of Eagle after 9/11. Those folks at Eagle got exactly what they deserved. They started thinking short term, gave everything away to get what they thought was the holy grail, and then got shafted when the holy grail turn out to be a turd wrapped in cloth. The American pilots flowed BACK to the tune of thousands even though just over 100 Eagle guys flowed up and it was supposed to be capped 1 for 1. Too bad you're "wholly owned" has all the rules made by the parent company!

If you were too blind to know the history of Eagle when you took the job then shame on you.

I've never worked for Eagle and don't really know anyone there but I know a horrible contract when I see one and I've always hated their 16 year give a way plan.

Everything you read here is spot on accurate. Our two largest aircraft programs are shrinking. We are selling legacies because our garage door salesman can't sell shares in them. Also, the X program is shrinking. The last two bids for hawker pic's went to X captains, and historically the only reason management lets people bid backwards is when they are shutting a program down. Now I am not saying that they are shutting down our two largest aircraft programs, but they are definitely shrinking, and if they get too small I would guess they would be revising our "go forward fleet". The reason for the hawker pic bid is only for attrition, because that program is not growing either. I personally would stay put if I was at a company that I knew that I could get a reliable paycheck. I am not sure how long we can keep this company afloat with the attrition of pilots that we have and a lack of leadership that can steer us through these tough times.

Good luck on your decision.

Latest resources

Back