• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FEDEX Class April 5

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Anybody with a class date: if you have a pregnant wife, or are expecting some big medical bills soon, better check what medical coverage will be available to you where you live.

In my rural area, all I can get is the 80/20 plan. My wife had a baby during the second month of training, the baby had some problems and spent a week in the hospital, and suddenly I was looking at $3500 in co-pays while still on training pay.

It would have been much cheaper to COBRA my benefits from Gemini (MUCH better insurance), or just move to a city where the HMO is available....

The Call

Just got the call from KD to come to the 5 April class (yes on Saturday).

Also mentioned there will be a 12 April Class and maybe another in May. She said they have approval for 24 total new hires (poolies) to be brought in by May.

So happy I could just Sh!t

good luck to all

Here are a couple of good things that I heard from a buddy of mine in the Flight Test Dept. (the guys that ferry the DC-10's to Italy to be converted) FedEx is already concerned about the next peak season. He said this is unusual because they normaly don't start planning for it until Aug or Sept. However they are starting very early this year because of the upturn in the economy, our financial numbers, and the growth in Asia. They are thinking that they are not going to have enough airframes on the property. So here is what they are doing. Slowing down the delivery rate on the MD-10's, so that very few if any are in conversion durring peak. Boeing is in on this as well. We are going to do the "C" check on three DC-10-30's that were scheduled to be lease returns and keep them for at least for another year or two.

He also said that while we were not that excited about the MD-10 conversion program because of the cost, Boeing is very upset. The exchange rate for euro's is terrible and they want out of the contract. They want to sell us 737's and get out of the conversion business.

Good luck to the new guys and have fun.

I don't know if those -10 rumors are true, but the latest training letter has those guys excessed out of the back delaying their training until DEC! So...the effect of the excess bid was to scare 2 guys into volunteering for 27 SO seat and convincing a bunch of others to go ahead and move to the -11 in LAX or ANC. The actual "excessing" hasn't really happened, and more than likely those souls will have the chance to bid to something else prior to Dec (I hope).

I have no idea what really lurks in the heart of FDX acquisitions, but the old -10 is a very popular plane with the crews and seems to be a pretty effective workhorse. Since we are apparently still making money dispite the tough economy, perhaps leadership is thinking "if it ain't broke don't fix it..."

For those keeping score at home, most of the training on the -11 and the 27 ends in June, except for those standard last classes filled with the LCA types. Any guesses on the next bid? ACP said in newsletter sometime about a widebody bid soon. Who's got a good fresh rumor?

Talked to JL last week. He said to expect another small bid in April. With some interviewing in May to backfill the pool to about 50 guys.

More totally unsubstantiated rumors from idle cockpit talk. 17 737s on property by next summer as additional lift (6-8 crews per aircraft, you do the numbers). More 10s out of the boneyard/renewed leases from United. Bring on the liar liar calls and prove me wrong.

I wouldn't call you a liar unless your pants are on fire.

You guys haven't even negotiated pay rates yet on the 737. ATA has been negotiating pay for the 767 and still doesn't have aircraft one on the property. Are we doing it backwards?

Last edited:
FoxHunter is right...

We do not have aircraft specific pay rates at FedEx...YET!

Right now it is either narrowbody pay or widebody pay. The 727 is our only narrowbody and the 737 would fall into that category. If you fly the Airbus, DC10 or MD11 (widebody) you get the same pay for seat and years of service.

More than likely though, in our next contract, that will change. The MD people will be happy and the Airbus people will not. The idea is to get the more/most experienced pilots in the heaviest airframes I guess...but who really knows.

FoxHunter said:
737 pay rates at FedEx?? Only choice is Wide Body or Narrow Body.;)
Until May 31....

They want to talk about the A380... (refer to the humorous document referred to as The Company's Openers) and they're interested in breaking out the pay rate for the MD-11. They want something, let's negotiate. ;)

Latest resources

Back