• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Etihad versus Emirates

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I know several folks at both EK & EY, them and their families are having a great time and enjoying the experience. What works for some doesn't work for others and vice versa, I think it's pretty pretentious to try to tell people what's best for them, taking on an expat lifestyle is something that people think through, not something that's done just because. Assuming that everyone has a job at DAL, AA or UAL just for the taking is absurd, these companies hire under an administrative structure that has very little to do with your flight experience and personality, there are a lot of folks with great flight experience and great people that will have a very tough time trying to get with a major precisely because they are at an age and level of experience that some HR departments consider "difficult to train"
Starting at the bottom of the seniority is a young man's game, it comes a point when it is simply not viable to take the paycut, me for example, I took my rides in the majors "merry go round" a couple of times but now I'm at a point where I have very little interest in going back. The expat market does offer a good alternative for some, even if you don't agree with their choice.

I know several folks at both EK & EY, them and their families are having a great time and enjoying the experience. What works for some doesn't work for others and vice versa, I think it's pretty pretentious to try to tell people what's best for them, taking on an expat lifestyle is something that people think through, not something that's done just because. Assuming that everyone has a job at DAL, AA or UAL just for the taking is absurd, these companies hire under an administrative structure that has very little to do with your flight experience and personality, there are a lot of folks with great flight experience and great people that will have a very tough time trying to get with a major precisely because they are at an age and level of experience that some HR departments consider "difficult to train"
Starting at the bottom of the seniority is a young man's game, it comes a point when it is simply not viable to take the paycut, me for example, I took my rides in the majors "merry go round" a couple of times but now I'm at a point where I have very little interest in going back. The expat market does offer a good alternative for some, even if you don't agree with their choice.

I suggest, I dont tell ,,, big difference..
I am glad you are happy . Good for you

If you have specific questions ask away and I'll give you the straight answer, aside from typhoon who has sage advice on life on work in the region, many people on here offer advice based on misinformation.

It's a rapidly changing company and there's a lot of good and bad, but certainly an interesting place to be

Above all else, you and your family need to be content living with this kind of WX for 6 months of the year ...

2013/07/11 10 00 OMAA 111000Z 30013KT 9000 NSC 45/13 Q0994 A2937 NOSIG

And the temp is in C, which makes it a balmy 113F. For all practical purposes, any outdoor pursuits are horrible from May till August.

PS
1000Z in AUH is 1200 local. It'll get warmer than that in the afternoon, and in the evening the dewpoint will sneak up and say hi to the temp, probably around the 39C mark, giving you a wonderful example of humidity in the making. 95% of it, at 95F ....

as a visitor, i prefer auh to dxb...not so into the dxb bling. if i lived there..not sure.

Qatar and doha are supposed to be not as good as ek/ey, but i have a friend w/ wife and they like qatar and they like doha. they r NOT american, tho, and used to living away from the home countrry.

also, ey has THE best in-flight crew blankets! i think u should go to ey because of theblamkets!!!

Any tips for someone wanting to get hired overseas? Is age a big issue? I'm in my mid 50's with no big jet time.

Any tips for someone wanting to get hired overseas? Is age a big issue? I'm in my mid 50's with no big jet time.

Age is an issue I'm afraid, for what I have seen the maximum age is between 55-57 at most places, there are other jobs that don't have a published age limit (like Air Japan for example) but most places do have a maximum age limit and at least in Asia, those minimums are written in stone!

But by all means, apply and see what happens! Don't just go by what you read in any pilot website!

Latest resources

Back