Etihad versus Emirates

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AeroDMB

So in light of the slower upgrade times and other conditions at Emirates, how do you all think the Etihad route is looking assuming one is qualified and typed in one of their jets? Looks like a faster path to the left seat! Living in Abu Dhabi versus Dubai doesn't need to be discussed since they are close by and not a factor for me at least. Thanks!

Keep in mind Etihad is making their pilots all move to Abu Dhabi

Etihad is hiring more DECs which will slow the upgrade time considerably. Etihad also uses the A-320 for the initial Captain upgrade airframe not the widebodies like Emirates. You need to take a bigger look at Abu Dhabi and not state "not a factor." It will or should be a huge factor in your quality of life. In the end take whichever hires you first.

Etihad is hiring more DECs which will slow the upgrade time considerably. Etihad also uses the A-320 for the initial Captain upgrade airframe not the widebodies like Emirates. You need to take a bigger look at Abu Dhabi and not state "not a factor." It will or should be a huge factor in your quality of life. In the end take whichever hires you first.

I'm not certain you are correct on the upgrade only to A320. I believe on the Boeing side you stay on that side for upgrade...maybe someone from there can confirm. Thx for the info.

So in light of the slower upgrade times and other conditions at Emirates, how do you all think the Etihad route is looking assuming one is qualified and typed in one of their jets? Looks like a faster path to the left seat! Living in AUH versus DXB doesn't need to be discussed since they are close by and not a factor for me at least. Thanks!

I agree, Etihad looks like a faster path to the left seat even with DEC recruitment as they are still in the beginning phases of their expansion plan. The pay/benefits package is roughly the same but Etihad has actually gotten an extra months pay each year for the last 2 years because of their bonus that Emirates management has become too greedy to give. This coupled with a more relaxed SOP and training environment would make my decision for me. Unless you want to party every night, I don't think the quiet life in AUH would be that bad as a quick drive to DXB will satisfy any party issue.

Hey varmint
Are you currently at AUH? I ask because I just did the DEC interview for the A-320, I have been accepted and just had questions about work environment, quality of life, does your family like it etc. My family and myself did 2 years in china and they loved it, I realize that the UAE is a lot different but my wife mainly enjoyed hanging out with the other expat wives. Any thoughts would be appreciated, currently I am in the US at a major carrier but a 300 from the bottom and 49 years old going abroad for the rest of my career is looking more and more agreeable as long as the work environment is tolerable and the lifestyle is decent
Thanks in advance

Camel,

No, but I do know a few guys there and the married guys with families are happy. The single guys who still have the party bug would much rather be in Dubai. Did your wife come with you when you did the DEC interview?

No she didn't, she was n china and loves the expat life, she has seen DBX and I told her same but smaller and quieter

Abu Dhabi is coming along. They host quite a few good concerts every year. They now have a golf tournament and tennis tournament. They have the Formula One race, Ferrari World, a new water park, etc.

That said, life on the A320 at Etihad can be quite tiring. The 320 does a lot of the night turn-around flying that goes on in the Gulf region. I think the path to happiness there is to get onto the bigger Airbii so that one has a better roster with long haul flying. That would probably take quite a few years for a DEC on the 320. The other option is to get into training to minimize the number of night turn-arounds.

TP

Latest resources

Back