Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Does PIC turbo-prop mean anything anymore?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
TIGV said:
Deleted....Wasn't worth the effort :)

That does not surprise me.

I hear from some people that having a conversation with a superior intellectual person can be exhausting. Take some time... chill... collect your thoughts and get back to me when you have the energy to put forth some intellectual "effort".

Colgan is losing some prop captains to airtran and i think a few other places. I believe they have nothing but prop time....not positive though. Is it possible that prop captains don't seem to be getting the call as much because there are less of them out there? I think as much as 70% of regional airline jobs are in jets now. So you wouldn't hear about prop dudes getting the call as often as jet dudes. 70% jets= 70% jets captains getting called, 30 % prop captains. Makes sence to me.Look at how many of the flight info people now have jets in their profiles.

ATRCAPT said:
With all the regionals expanding their RJ fleets, and only two companies even making turbo-props anymore (Bombardier and ATR), I was just wondering what people's opinions are on the marketable future of turbo-prop captains? I know none of the airlines that are hiring right now are exactly beating a path to my door! Does being a turbo-prop captain mean anything anymore? Or do we ALL need PIC jet time to be marketable in the industry?

All the airlines think military C-130 time is ok.

JetBlue is the only airline flying big iron that I know shows a strong preference for jet PIC. Most others are only looking for turbine PIC, turboprop, turbojet it's all the same. Certainly at SWA they don't mind, I never flew a jet till I came here.

canyonblue737 said:
JetBlue is the only airline flying big iron that I know shows a strong preference for jet PIC. Most others are only looking for turbine PIC, turboprop, turbojet it's all the same. Certainly at SWA they don't mind, I never flew a jet till I came here.

Not so!

I have been flying jets for 12 years (turbo shakers before that) and I have never heard anyone call a turboprop pilot FLAP.............what does it mean?

Out of all of my PIC time when I got the call for the jetBlue interview I had a total of 24 hrs PIC in the CL-65, so I would guess the other 1750 hrs PIC in the Dornier 328 Turbo-Prop counted for something. Enough to get a March 30th class anyway.

So to answer the question at the start of the thread, I would say YES it does.

I feel ATR Capt's pain. Everyday seems like it is worse than yesterday, and I am pretty certain yesterday was the worst day of my life. I need a new job. Over 3000 turboprop PIC, and nobodys knocking my door down. It ain't for lack of trying either brother.

Hey smoking man, congrats!

Latest resources

Back