Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Does PIC turbo-prop mean anything anymore?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ATRCAPT

Livin' the...dream?
With all the regionals expanding their RJ fleets, and only two companies even making turbo-props anymore (Bombardier and ATR), I was just wondering what people's opinions are on the marketable future of turbo-prop captains? I know none of the airlines that are hiring right now are exactly beating a path to my door! Does being a turbo-prop captain mean anything anymore? Or do we ALL need PIC jet time to be marketable in the industry?

Well, if it's any indication, CommutAir in the past few months had had one pilot go to UPS, a couple go to AirTran (and another got an interview recently), another got hired at Southwest last month, and another had an interview recently. I believe the Beech 1900 PIC time is the only significant turbine time they had.

So based on that small sample, no, I don't think you must have jet PIC to be marketable. Not at all.

hang in there i don't see a fokker tomb in you future.
Miss Cleo

ATRCAPT said:
With all the regionals expanding their RJ fleets, and only two companies even making turbo-props anymore (Bombardier and ATR), I was just wondering what people's opinions are on the marketable future of turbo-prop captains? I know none of the airlines that are hiring right now are exactly beating a path to my door! Does being a turbo-prop captain mean anything anymore? Or do we ALL need PIC jet time to be marketable in the industry?

Don't sweat it. PIC turbine is what is important, and that could be turbo-prop or jet. Given the choice, I would stick it out in a turboprop as PIC instead of going SIC in a jet, at least until I got my 1000 pic first.

PIC turbo-prop (turbine) time is the key. SWA has hired guys with only that and here they are. I would encourage you to continue in your current capacity as a turbo-prop captain as long as you can and build PIC turbine time.

RJ

RJones said:
PIC turbo-prop (turbine) time is the key. SWA has hired guys with only that and here they are.

PS- You mean "only that, AND a $8000 type rating, and here they are."

;)

RJJones -

Thanx for the info. However, when I crossed the 3,000 PIC turbo-prop mark I started to worry. That and the $8,000 hole in my savings account for the B737 type....Please God, don't let me retire off a turbo-prop!

ATRCAPT,

I know the feeling. When I applied I had close to 7000 hours in the Mu-2 ... all PIC time and just a tad under a 1000 PIC jet, maybe a bit more, have to look and see.

Don't be hard on yourself, keep pluggin along.

RJ

I just talked to a manager at UPS. The new hiring standards seem to place turboprop PIC time on a lower rung of the competitive ladder. I don't get it but it's their sandbox! I've heard it said that they've been real happy with RJ guys. If you have 1900 PIC then get your SIC time in an RJ or any other jet, I suspect you're on the same rung as everyone else. It is correct to say that we have recently hired someone with only turboprop PIC time, but I was told that it was more the exception than the rule.

I have no intention of sparking a debate. I just want you folks to have accurate information as you plan out your career.

Latest resources

Back