• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Does how you did in college really matter

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was asked to compare and contrast the socio-economic effects of the Black Plague on European and Asian cultures with liberal media bias on current U.S. politics. I didn't get that job.

Diploma or transcript

TZtoSWA said:
SWA asks for your transcripts. I did not graduate cum laude but was close and definitely over a 3.0. In today's job market, I would leave nothing to chance.

Southwest asks for transcript or diploma , I gave them the diploma, so they never got to ask me about grades. They also got my high school diploma.

I generally agree with everyone. You need to check the box but I was never asked specifically about college at any of my interviews.

It fills a square more than anything. If you have a degree, great. It does not matter that much where from or how well you did ( kind of like the type at SWA). What matters is what you have done since you left college or whatever.

TWA wanted my transcripts. The hired me in spite of my performance in college.

I graduated with a 2.23. The fact that I graduated at all should be an embarassment to Butler University. ;)

You need to be a genius to design planes, not fly them.TC

Why not try and get the most you can out of your 4 years in college? Flying for crud wages when you are single in your twenties requiring only beer money is one thing. Throw in a mortgage / family later later on and reality truly sets in trying to make a living in this financial nightmare of an industry. Open your eyes to other things so that you come to have some idea about other options in life.

What Grades?

I had a 2.5 something or other, and it didn't inhibit me from getting a job at CAL. One of the most important things you can do is be yourself during the interview and show them you would be an enjoyable person to work with in the cockpit for days at a time. Professionalism, a good attitude, and sound airwork (if you have a sim eval) really are what counts. Perhaps little to no body odor as well, but that's a whole other issue.

My 2 cents...

Navin

I finished with a 2.5 in Mech. Engineering. I only failed one class but no airline has ever asked about my grades. You don't need to be a rocket scientist, but I guess most Airlines like to see a degree.

the Cruise- " I figured I better join the army before I got drafted"
Sgt. Hulka- "Son...there ain't no draft no more."
the Cruise- "There was one?......"

yip must be flying, he hasn't jumped in on this yet....

Latest resources

Back