Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Airway

Reserving
I have a student that I was talking to this about, and generally get asked a lot, "why are you going to college?" when someone finds out I want to fly professionally.

Most people I know who went to college and are pilots...either got their degree from U of Phoenix online or went to Embry Riddle extended campus.. And they didn't exactly graduate magne cum laude.

It's just a field where it seems like it's just not important. But, at the same time, I'm again just more curious than anything else.

When you guys interviewed wherever (FedEx, Southwest, UPS, United...) did your performance in college really matter? Or did all they care about was that you graduated and passed all of your classes? I mean, I'm pretty sure if you have a track record of Failing all your classes and retaking most of them, you might have an issue, but generally, does it really matter what grades you got in College? One of my students dropped a few classes and was worried that he's gonna have a problem. As much as I tell him that no airline is really going to look past your logbook and references, In the end of the day, I really don't know.

Hi,

2 airlines out of 6 asked about them. One was Amerijet, and the other was AA. I was not top of my class, however my average was around 3.0.

My major was international studies, and aviation administration. Both asked about the courses I took. Not sure if I had done poorly if that would have altered their decision. One of the guys in our newhire class was a sharp pilot, but his grades in college were horrible he said. Partying at the frat house.

It may depend on who is interviewing you, I will be curious to see what others say.

AA

Opps almost forgot UND guy. However i had a lot of time and a few rating before UND. I flew on their flying team, however I did not flight train there.

I was never asked about college at all in any airline interview. It was, of course, on the application. What and how you've done recently is a lot more important than having to take freshman chemistry twice.

SWA asks for your transcripts. I did not graduate cum laude but was close and definitely over a 3.0. In today's job market, I would leave nothing to chance.

State school where my major was "graduation".

It was a struggle to keep my GPA above my BAC.

USMC didn't care what my degree was in, or my GPA.

Airline interview(s) only asked about my transcripts once:

Him: "Did you do your best in every class?"
Me: "No, I wish I had, but I honestly didn't."

So...I'm pretty much in charrrrrge of this jet now!

Just an opinion....

contrary to what you read here, what your degree is in or where you got it means NOTHING....just as long as you can check that box.

Every job I have had wanted that 4 yr degree, but only one ever wanted transcripts - and none asked about GPAs or seemed to care what school I went to - unless they went there too, then it was just conversation.

funny the one that wanted to see transcripts was the lowest paying (regional airline)

Far more important is your experience and your networking / interpersonal skills.

I have been to more than 20 interviews , and I think I was asked 1 time about classes/grades. My belief is that its just a square that must be filled.

Some have asked for transcripts others haven't.
Less so the farther I got away (time wise) from University.
As far as what you study...I find the aviation program grads are sharper on the uptake and already have a good base knowledge. It puts them ahead of the class most of the time. Not bashing on the Liberal Arts degree folks but Aviation is technical and getting more so. IMNSHO You should try to gain as much knowledge in your career field as possible.

i don't believe doing badly in college will hurt you, but i'd bet doing well can help you.

it has been my experience that no effort towards improving yourself, whether it is in college, the sim, or gound school, is wasted.

good luck!

Latest resources

Back