Does how you did in college really matter

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Duuuudes,

I was like dem ddduuudes in dat Tommy Boy movie. Yeah, bro, I like wuz runnin thru dem hedges wen i wuz like goin to Tulsa and stuff. Freaking wild when like you like trip on like oneadem water sprinkler thingies. Freaking best eight years of my life wuz a college. But now, me an my 1.85 GPA are chillin wit da Tranny.

Awwwwww Yeeeeeaaaah! Like dat Lou Gehrig duude said before he died from dat disease. (Duuude, I can NEVER remember what cat they named dat disease after). Anyways, for me and old Lou, me workin at da Tranny, it's like waht Lou said at ole Babe Ruth stadium.

Toooday, I consider myself self self self

the luckiest man alive live live live

During my interview at UAL in 1996 the interviewer quizzed on my grades, and asked why I got a D in "Diffy Equations" in the spring of 1963. I told her it was a really hard course to take in the spring. Why UAL would care about a low grade in a class that less than 1% of the pilot population every even attempted is beyond me. Must have been one of those stress things that UAL liked to work in to the interview. Good airlines like SWA, AirTran, and JB do not let the absence of a degree, or if you have a degree, or where it came from, or what your grade point was, or what you majored in, stand in the way of hiring the right pilot. The best way to an airline cockpit is start flying out of high school do your degree on the side combination of community college and on-line course. The airlines as my good friend G200 stated it is just a box to check to make the HR people feel really good about themselves and how selective they are in maintaining high standards at their airline. A college degree has nothing to do with flying an airplane,

pilotyip said:
During my interview at UAL in 1996 the interviewer quizzed on my grades, and asked why I got a D in "Diffy Equations" in the spring of 1963.

Good airlines like SWA, AirTran, and JB do not let the absence of a degree, or if you have a degree, or where it came from, or what your grade point was, or what you majored in, stand in the way of hiring the right pilot.

Aww Yeah!!! Win on for the Yipper! Duuude, you are like a REALLY old dude, but you gots mad perspective and stuff like dat. Duuude, waht is Diffy Equations? Dat sounds Diff-E-Cult, or like waaayyy too hard for a History major like me. When ole Tommy Boy said dat Herbie Hancock be signin dat Constitution, I was like pumped, cause like I knew that too, bro!

Duuude, I got like more D's than B's, bro, but I with da Tranny, so it's ALLLLLLL GOOOOOOODDDD!!!!

Duuude, thanks for the mad props for "Good Airlines" like SWA, JB, and Da Freaking Tranny!!!!!!

Out-freaking-standing, my brother from like a Happy Days mother. Duude, sorry about Pat Morita, dude. Did you go to school with him? Freaking Arnold and the Yip, 2 wicked cool cats!

I'd like to personally thank the Moderators for allowing us the use of the IGNORE feature. Thank you.TC

It's funny that they would want your transcripts and question you about your college grades, when you're interviewing for a position where "on the job performance" is graded with a "U" or an "S".

Last edited:
I would avoid community college or on-line degrees. Go to the best college you can and make the best grades possible. Your flying career can end in an instant and you will need good grades from a quality institution if you want to get into a good graduate school and start a new career. Also, I would major in something non aviation related. Do not put all your eggs in one basket.

800Dog said:
I would avoid community college or on-line degrees. Go to the best college you can and make the best grades possible. Your flying career can end in an instant and you will need good grades from a quality institution if you want to get into a good graduate school and start a new career. Also, I would major in something non aviation related. Do not put all your eggs in one basket.

Well said. How sad that guys spend big bucks at a pretty-boy aviation school only to graduate with a worthless aviation degree and the goal of an 18K a year job. As an Airbus F/O, I see myself as completely replaceable. Why keep a guy like me around that expects enough pay and benefits to support a family when there are plenty of starry-eyed 22 year olds that would sign on to do my job for beer money? This blow off college attitude because "I'm going to fly jets" idea is laughable.

College...

The farther you get from college the less it matters. I would say it matters for that first job simply because they have no other way to gauge what kind of performance to expect from you, unless you have previous non-college experience of course. From then on, they're probably going to call your last employer and ask if you were a douch bag or a decent guy. What matters is how and what you are doing right now. Fly and be the best you can today, whether it be a C152 pounding the patch with an unteachable student, freight doggin' in the ice or the never to upgrade CRJ F/O. What you are doing TODAY is what matters.
To say it another way, I was around for a quick converstation between 2 management types at my shop. The higher up came in and asked the lower if they remembered so & so, an airline is on the phone doing a background check. They said "yea, he was the shaggy haired kid." Higher asked "what kind of guy was he," and lower said, "pretty decent, but he had a prop strike." Then higher asked "if he gave two weeks notice" And lower said, "he sure did."
In the end they didn't really care he had a prop strike but cared that he gave two weeks notice. It came down to what kind of guy he was and had not much to do with flying, not to mention college.

Too much eduaction is never bad. I got lucky and have a BS and MS and I would say that they always have helped. If you do not have a degree, trying getting on with, say, Continental now. In most cases, it is hard (although not impossible) to get on with a "major" airline without it. Yes, it is just a box to check, but from an airlines perspective, having the degree shows that you are reasonably intelligent enough to make it through their training program. In this day and age, I sure am glad to have a degree, you just never know about a long airline career any more.

Latest resources

Back