• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta New Hire Class Breakdown?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The seniority issue is a big deal. My line of thinking is the folks that are missassigned and based should at the very least be treated as TDY folks (company provided lodging, per diem, and positive space) while they are in the assigned base.

As to being on probation and not being able to file a grievance....You have until 120 days after leaving probation to file reference a seniority issue.

Nah, I don't think that will happen. We have bids now so frequently that you can bid out of something fairly quick. I think they will correct the seniority numbers since that will make a bigger difference down the line, and then say a big "sorry." They aren't going to give TDYs or anything. I don't think they will remove anyone from current training either, that would cost money. Hey, at least you didn't have to go through the 727FE course.....

Bye Bye--General Lee

Yeah baby!!:laugh: I heard some of the new hires were getting the Lav Dump Truck on the 777 in ATL. That one ususally goes very senior.:laugh: :laugh:

No, only senior guys like me get the 777 Lav truck. You new guys get the 767s coming in allnight from South America, allowing it to be ripe and steamy for you. Now that is a good morning wake up! :)

Bye Bye--General Lee

Nah, I don't think that will happen. We have bids now so frequently that you can bid out of something fairly quick. I think they will correct the seniority numbers since that will make a bigger difference down the line, and then say a big "sorry." They aren't going to give TDYs or anything. I don't think they will remove anyone from current training either, that would cost money. Hey, at least you didn't have to go through the 727FE course.....

Bye Bye--General Lee

So their screw-up should cost me money, time commuting, and time away from family sitting reserve in NYC as opposed to at home................

So their screw-up should cost me money, time commuting, and time away from family sitting reserve in NYC as opposed to at home................

Get used to it. Airline life aint always great. Overall you didn't get Guam based (at CAL) and your career at Delta has just begun. I was a 727FE in NYC for 6 months and that suked. If you don't like it you can quit. You weren't the only one this affected, so just move along and you can tell it to your FOs someday. The important thing here is that your seniority will be corrected, which is far more important down the road.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
You will get an SIC type on the M88 or 737.
When you go to the 757/767, whether int'l or domestic, you will get the PIC type.

What is an SIC type? I thought all type ratings are PIC types? Why would you need a type in the MD88 do you use IRO's or Relief Pilots for international flights with over 8hrs flying per duty day?

What is an SIC type? I thought all type ratings are PIC types? Why would you need a type in the MD88 do you use IRO's or Relief Pilots for international flights with over 8hrs flying per duty day?

Nope - the FAA started issuing SIC types a couple of years ago. Some ICAO requirement. It was a big deal at American Eagle - they went and got everybody to put their type ratings on their certificates. I'm not sure what the administrative procedure is but anyone who is current on a type at a 121 can go and get it put on their certificates now. It was my understanding that both pilots had to be typed when you fly in other ICAO countries airspace...so the FAA came up with the SIC-type. They are even issuing certificates to Flight Attendants now...go figure.

Later

found this on-line.

The final rule requires pilots who
plan to fly outside U.S. airspace and
land in foreign countries to obtain the
SIC pilot type rating. We also
recommend having the SIC pilot type
rating when flying over or into airspace
controlled by a foreign civil aviation
authority that requires it. This would
include not only flights to foreign
destinations, but also flights where there
is the potential to land in a foreign
country (for example, a flight from
Newark, NJ to Anchorage, AK that
crosses Canadian airspace could result
in an emergency landing in Canada).

Here is the link to the entire document...

http://web.nbaa.org/public/ops/sic/FAA-2004-19630_05-113.pdf

On my certificate it appears as a limitations...DC-9 type and under the limitations section..."DC-9 SIC privileges only"

Hope this help.s

Later

Nope - the FAA started issuing SIC types a couple of years ago. Some ICAO requirement. It was a big deal at American Eagle - they went and got everybody to put their type ratings on their certificates. I'm not sure what the administrative procedure is but anyone who is current on a type at a 121 can go and get it put on their certificates now. It was my understanding that both pilots had to be typed when you fly in other ICAO countries airspace...so the FAA came up with the SIC-type. They are even issuing certificates to Flight Attendants now...go figure.

Later

Thanks for the info. I spent the first 12 years at CAL as an FO on the 727, A300, DC-10 and 747 and no type rating. Can I go to the feds and get one now if I can prove through CAL I flew those A/C?

Don't mind the sen. issue just hoping it gets fixed for us all. Would of had ATL but being based in NYC was great for three months. Great base, great flying and great crews. But if they fix it I will jump up to the front of the line for about 2yrs instead of being stuck at #3 or so It would be nice to get those good trips in 34yrs ahead of my classmates.

So how has this seniority thing been done in the past?

For a long, long time (including when I was hired) senority was determined by when you were initally interviewed for a certain class.First interviewed, senior man...last interviewed, tail end charlie.We had a couple of guys in my class that walked into the employment office, and the first one,being a nice guy, opened the door for the other guy. That cost him a number on the list. In the mid 70`s (I think it was) it changed to oldest guy in the class was senior guy, youngest was last. Latest change is last 4 digits of SS number determines senority. I`m betting the EEOC had something to do with the latest change.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back