Delta Jumpseat Policy Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Russ,

I was under the impression that we had changed that in the last TA---and MAYBE we have. I haven't gotten a copy of the full TA yet, but I will have to check into it. I thought I saw that we were going to allow unlimited jumpseaters (I may be wrong), and I know I saw something about CASS and something with AA and Southwest initially. So, if a Southwest guy came up and looked at both of our procedures, he would side with me because Delta is working on a cockpit jumpseat with AA and Southwest initially. There you have it, I win again.

As far as unlimited jumpseats on our flights, I would love FDJ2 or someone else at Delta to chime in and tell me if we did try to get them.

Bye Bye--General Lee

And until its implemented, if ever it is, I win.

You have enough disclaimers in there, yet you claim victory. White man speak with forked tongue.

Russ,

Let's not get racial here. Next thing you will tell me is that I can't "jump." Your jumpseat policy has such large gaps in it you could drive a Mack truck through it. I love how your airline is selective in which airplanes we can fly in the cockpit, and we are not towards any of your pilots. That sounds unfair. My captains don't ask "which" Skywest subsidiary you guys fly for---they allow everyone the right to sit up front. You guys do NOT reciprocate. Sure, you may say you do, but that isn't what the United ticket counter guy says in SFO or DEN. That is ridiculous, and it should be looked into. Instead you try to slam us while not improving your own procedure. Talk about a fork toothed tongue. I believe we did ask for and probably got unlimited jumpseats, but that will have to be confirmed. When dealing with large pay cuts, productivity cuts, vacation cuts, and other large hurdles---please excuse us for not getting everything you needed for the jumpseat. We did get some gains, and hopefully we did get unlimited jumps. We shall see.....

Bye Bye--General Lee

Until CASS is up and running,do you honestly expect UAL to have a real time ability to verify DAL pilot employment to let you up front? We don't run the show at many UA stations. What makes you think your entitled to the UA JS? You dont do any work for UA, however a SkyWest pilot goes between systems frequently and this is why we can. You sound a bit jealous. As said earlier, till its implemented, I win.

Russ,

We are looking at who's jumpseat procedure is better, and you just admitted that we Delta pilots cannot get on half of your flights due to gate agents. We allow every one of your pilots to sit in our cockpit, and you cannot offer the same due to logistical problems that could be fixed by your pilot group giving a memo to the gate agents requesting them to contact you directly if a Delta guy shows up and requests one. (This would be only if a United guy isn't requesting it) A simple memo. But, you again can't see that. I would absolutely say that our procedure gives you guys a better chance at a seat up front than your procedure does, and therefore, yet again, I win. It's all about having the opportunity to jumpseat, and you guys have better access to ours than we do to yours. So, quit bit ching, and FIX YOUR JUMPSEAT PROCEDURES.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
I somehow memorize the list of DAL pilots before every flight so I know on a real time basis who is employed, who's furloughed, who's fired when I'm flying through a UAL run station. They can get me all the notes they want but I have no way to verify your real time employment status. What by the way makes you think you have any entitlement to the JS when we are flying for the competition(UA)?
I fly passengers for both, you don't. Ergo, my argument is stronger than yours and I still win.

So, until your alledged unlimited JS'er program goes through, you lose.

Russ,

You can't call your dispatcher? That sounds like a hassle, but so is allowing everyone of your guys on our planes with a smile apparently. You can't seem to fathom that your system is unfair. We don't provide a hassle, you do. I was told by one of your guys in SMF (as he was jumpseating nonstop to ATL) to ask the gate agent to talk to the captain who then needed to call a dispatcher. I said that seemed like a hassle, and he replied, "well yes it is, but do it as early as you can." He then went back and sat in one of our comfy first class seats free to ATL. (This was prior to you guys getting the PPR cards) Nice. I think your system is lame, and guarantees nothing, while ours can get any one of your guys a seat upfront in the cockpit. Game, set, match. I win.

Bye Bye--General Lee

PS--Furloughed pilots, retired pilots, etc don't have their badges. You didn't know that? Who do you let on your airplanes?

I just took the time to call dispatch and asked them if they could verify real time employment status and the answer was no.

"This was prior to you guys getting the PPR cards"

Oh really. We are not issued the PPR cards, at least in the credit card form as I led to believe others have. Again your system is in need of an overhaul. We have to call on the phone and do any changes. It makes it a royal pain to run from the full SAN flight over to the open LAX one. Your agents too busy to help and I get left behind as there is already a JS'er. That was the final experience I had JS'ing on DAL prior to domocile change. I lost that day, but it goes to show that I have won the argument.
Again, ask a SWA, Alaska, USair, FEDEX, UPS, etc who's system is better. I've hauled 7 UPS JS'ers from ORD to work about a month ago. That has only been topped by me by 9 different types from LAX to SAN. That aint gonna happen on DAL. You lose.

General SKYW has allways taken the high road when it comes to jumpseats, and we have taken unlimited jumpseaters for as long as I can remember. As far as verifying your enployment over the phone with disp. this was O.K. until TSA got wind of it then they promptley put a stop to it. I dont see how you can say our policy is unfair for DL guys? Do you have an axe that needs sharpening?

Trip,

Not really, although I find it unfair to our West Coast pilots that need to commute when Skywest only has United Express flights(SAN--LAX, FAT--LAX, PSP-LAX etc). Those same guys that can't let our LA based guys into the Untied Express cockpits later ask for a ride back to SLC in our jumpseats. Sounds a bit unfair, eh? And the Skywest guys CAN sit in ours regardless. Can you not see the double standard? I live in ATL and don't use Skywest hardly at all, but I have heard from a few Delta captains I have flown with that lived in San Diego about this.

The whole reason I started this is because Russ came on and bitc hed about our jumpseat policy, when infact Skywest's isn't perfect either. Had he not complained about ours, which we are attempting to fix, then I wouldn't have said any of this. When people complain, they had better make sure first that their program is PERFECT.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back