Delta Jumpseat Policy Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Russ,

We are talking about cockpit jumpseats. I think it is just groovy that you took 7 UPS'rs to Louisville. Awesome. Bravo. Sweet. Anyway, when it comes down to it, if the plane was full, none of them would have gone. Now, the problem here is the cockpit jumpseat, which any of your pilots CAN fly in on our planes. Yup, it doesn't matter if your guy is an IAH E120 Capt, or an ORD based FO that flies mainly for United. All they have to do is come up to the gate and fill out a form. We don't ask. Now, can you say the same? How do the Continental pilots handle your IAH pilots? I believe they only allow IAH based pilots into their cockpits, and only if they have an IAH badge. Is that true? Should we do the same? We can't get into the cockpit of your UAL planes when it is full in the back, but any of your guys can get into ours. HMMMMMMMMM. Can you see this yet? Are you having problems?

As far as you having to call for seats and not getting an actual PPR card yet, I would say that you have an improvement over the past. We still can't get a seat upfront of your UAL or CAL planes WHEN THE BACK IS FULL. I win.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
Admiral

DAL pilots compose a small minority of the pilot work force with JS privleges. When measured by everyone else, SkyWest has a far better JS policy.
SkyWest has room for improvement alright, not as much as Delta however. Ask 10 guys who work for neither of us and ask who has a better policy. The answer is I win, you don't.

I have answered your questions, now answer mine, not as a DAL pilot with that bias, if you were a SWA pilot (SWA guys, don't kill me) who, today has a better JS policy. Again that's today, not off in some far off land of a contract you just signed but today.

Second, Why do you think you should have access to the UA side of SkyWest? Do you not understand that UAL has no way to verify employment? Do you understand that I have no quick way of doing it either?

If you don't answer these questions, you lose and I win.

As far as the IAH operation, I honestly have no idea how it works.

Russ said:
I just took the time to call dispatch and asked them if they could verify real time employment status and the answer was no.

"This was prior to you guys getting the PPR cards"

Oh really. We are not issued the PPR cards, at least in the credit card form as I led to believe others have. Again your system is in need of an overhaul. We have to call on the phone and do any changes. It makes it a royal pain to run from the full SAN flight over to the open LAX one. Your agents too busy to help and I get left behind as there is already a JS'er. That was the final experience I had JS'ing on DAL prior to domocile change. I lost that day, but it goes to show that I have won the argument.
Again, ask a SWA, Alaska, USair, FEDEX, UPS, etc who's system is better. I've hauled 7 UPS JS'ers from ORD to work about a month ago. That has only been topped by me by 9 different types from LAX to SAN. That aint gonna happen on DAL. You lose.
Russ,

You're full of yourself... I agree with the General. Before furlough when I was commuting, I did not find Skywest that great in terms of jumpseat access.

General says: "So, quit bit ching, and FIX YOUR JUMPSEAT PROCEDURES."

Yep General, let us know when you reciprocate with unlimited to all the carriers that let DAL pilots and F/A's on in unlimited quantities.

Dizel8,

Thanks for coming into the fray. You know that we pilots do not control the flight attendant jumpseats, and we just got our own jumpseats in '96. As far as unlimited jumpseats, I believe we did bargain for that and I will check into that. We gave them a billion a year for 5 years, so I hope so. But, we have stated that we will get CASS. Have you guys started that program yet? Maybe you have.

Russ,

Again, you haven't addressed my question----is it fair to Skywest and Delta jumpseaters that we cannot sit in every one of your Skywest jumpseats (in the cockpit), while any one of your pilots from any base flying any feed for any airline (UA, CO) can sit in our cockpit? That is the crux of my argument. I know that you guys can provide unlimited jumpseats in the back, and I can use my PPR card to sit in the back too without asking you. My problem (or beef) is with the cockpit---since a lot of your flights are full (you have smaller aircraft).

Ok, so I will answer your questions so I can win. If I were a SW pilot, I would think your deal is better currently, until we get that program set up (with AA and SW initially) to verify employment. Then our program would be preferable. Second, why should we get the jumpseat on the United side? Well, I would think any United pilot should get that seat first, since you are providing feed for them. I can understand that. ASA and Comair pilots get our seat first--since our company owns them, and then other DCI carriers get it next. But, if there is no United guy present, then I would think that we should be allowed in your United RJ cockpit if the back is full. Calling your dispatcher should have done the trick--since they probably have a computer that could verify employment. If not, then why should we allow a guy in DEN commuting home to SLC a ride when he just finished a bunch of United legs? Is that a double standard? I think it is. Answer my questions or I win. Tell me why it isn't a double standard. Are we just being super duper nice?

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
Russ- I think you owe the General a round at the "Boar's Nest". If Skywest is providing feed for UA and DAL ( a fingercuff airline if you will ;)) then Delta (and us wholly owned) should have access to the cockpit no matter the paint scheme and vice versa. Cheers, Wil

wil said:
Russ- I think you owe the General a round at the "Boar's Nest". If Skywest is providing feed for UA and DAL ( a fingercuff airline if you will ;)) then Delta (and us wholly owned) should have access to the cockpit no matter the paint scheme and vice versa. Cheers, Wil
I agree with Wil and the General on this one.

I along with the majority of SKYW pilots agree that is way it should be (cockpit seat no matter the paint) but until the program is in place its not allowed. In the mean time we welcome all and as many as seats permit, free of charge.

General says: "But, we have stated that we will get CASS. Have you guys started that program yet? Maybe you have."

Apparently the system is up and awaiting certification from the FAA or the TSA, whoever is in charge of it. They, the federal powers that be, were going to stop the trials and only allow the carriers previously certified to continue, however, I guess cooler heads have prevailed and it is supposed to be moving again.

However, in the absence of that, you can still utilize the F/A jumpseats, sadly not first class, but it gets you there and it sure beats another night away from home.

Latest resources

Back