Delta Jumpseat Policy Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Updated AA list

OK guys just did some checking into Sabre, and I stand corrected on the D6U (Unlimited) category:

-Southwest
-USAirways
-Alaska (not Horizon, sorry)
-Comair
-JetBlue

Looks like they added JB in September, welcome.

Again, our union jumpseat rep says that more reciprocating unlimiteds will be joining us in the near term.

Sorry for the confusion

aa73

By far the biggest obstacle on AA is the gate agent. God help you if you get a bad one, I swear some of them enjoy telling you "you cant get on because of <insert incorrect reason here>."

Once beyond that hurdle though, the crews and FAs are great. Thanks for the rides guys.

The real truth!!!

The real truth is this: Delta pilots as a group had enough leverage to get the top pay scales in the industry.....Too bad they didn't care to use the same leverage to help there buddies that need a ride to work or home!!! Even in the latest pay-cut contract they didn't try to help their buddies out. It is no secret that post 911 commuting is harder...yet Delta basically thumbed their nose at their fellow pilots.... I always give them a ear full (very nicely) when I see them wanting a ride.....

Another question about DAL JS;

If JS'ing on an int'l flight on a 2 JS airplane and one of the JS's is broke (deferred), does that prevent you cats from taking an offline guy even though there are seats in the back?

airlinepilot,

That is ridiculous. We were lucky to get the jumpseat back after the 96 contract, and the jumpseat to Delta is sacrosanct. They don't want the other employees to get unions, so they don't want to show any favoritism. That is the truth, even though all of the non revs would get on anyway before any jumpseater in the back. That is the way Delta operates, and if you want to limit your own jumpseats to one or two per aircraft (since some of our planes have two cockpit jumpseats and on those we allow two)---then go ahead and do it. Make yourself feel great! Good for you. I have never seen a Delta jumpseater on our planes NOT give up his jumpseat to sit in the back if there was room. I just saw on Thanksgiving one of our guys give up his jumpseat so that a Mesa guy could get on.

As far as this last TA, we are working now on CASS and setting up a special reciprocal jumpseat deal with AA and Southwest initially. We're working on getting improvements, and by the way---we did raise the pay bar for everyone for three full years---which probably helped you out. You're welcome.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Enough Said!

General......you can color it anyway you want....but Delta's JS restrictions speaks volumes without any comment by you or anyone else. Doesn't Delta own Comair/ASA....they don't restrict the JS.

Airlinepilot,

You OBVIOUSLY don't know anything about Delta and it's "culture." The management guys do not want any other unions on the property, and they are very protective of those other employees. That said, they don't want anything to appear "unfair", even though any non rev can get on before any offline jumpseater. It really doesn't make any sense, but it is true. If you choose to ignore that, then fine. We are working on CASS, which is better than a lot of other airlines. We do offer 2 jumpseats on aircraft with two cockpit jumpseats, which is better than just one always. As far as ASA and Comair, they may have had that policy before Delta bought them, I don't know. If any of those employees ever want to come over to mainline eventually, they will do so knowing about our jumpseat policy. We had NO jumpseat before 1996, and to have more than one now on certain aircraft is a large improvement.

Complain all you want, but I know that most Delta pilots are helpful and try to "do good" by writing a pass if another jumpseater shows up.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Post 9/11 as we settled in to the new norm, we (SkyWest) allowed D in the actual. All the while it was not reciprocated. The D guys would tell us how they thought it was a bum deal and management was to blame. Bottom line, the D guys (really W guys in that area) were getting to work. Low and behold as the Olympics approached and the back was full SkyWest said no more and laid down a deadline. Somehow, possibly by coincidence we were allowed back in to the actual just prior to implementing the stricter policy.
I know the lawn needs to be mowed, its the right thing to do to keep the association nazi's off my back, but somehow it never gets done till my wife threatens to shut off access, well, you get my point.

Russ,

Your Skywest jumpseating policy $ucks. Last time I went through LA I had a Skywest jumpseater ask for a ride, and he flew out of Fresno on the United side. Do you know how much of a hassle it is to ride in the front of one of your United Skywest planes? We don't ususally ask your Skywest pilots "which Skywest do you fly for?" (The UAL side vs the DL side) We let any of your pilots up front, and we can't usually get the same from you guys without a major hassle and nearly begging the United gate agents to get you guys up to the gate or to call a dispatcher to verify employment. Bottomline, we allow ANY Skywest pilot in any of our jumpseats, and that is not the same on your side. That needs to be streamlined or we will have to start asking which base you fly out of---since only SLC serves the Delta side.......You really need to get that fixed and inform the United people that we are allowed in your jumpseat up front.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
"since only SLC serves the Delta side"

Carried plenty'o D jump seaters out of DFW. Imagine I might again next week. Moot point in the future, but for now your statement is incorrect. Sorry, no your not allowed up front on the UA side. The CP sent out a memo a month ago and said no countermanding what he said earlier that might lead you to think you could. I believe more than anything its the company dragging its feet despite what it says, perhaps you should put some pressure on us and see if its works in reverse as it did for us.
All things said SkyWest still has a better JS policy than does D. Unlimited D pilots in the back of any SkyWest plane and if the airplane is the same color as yours you can ride up front. Can't say the same if if the situation is reversed. I imagine somehow you think D has a better policy, yes, no?

Latest resources

Back