• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta Jumpseat Policy Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I like AA jumpseating policy. Maybe we should all restrict our unlimited jumpseats to UAL and DAL (to number of actual jumpseats) until they fix it on their end. I know we (JB) pack on a lot of the UAL crews out of FLL to IAD and JFK after they shut down their MIA base.

jetblue320 said:
As far as I have heard, JetBlue now has unlimited privilages as well. I think it was approved last month so maybe your data/info hasn't been updated yet. Word on the street has been that AA has been great to our guys and gals.

Happy T Day.
I will check into it. If so, glad to have y'all!

Aa

aa73 said:
Well, almost. We are in the process of adding more carriers to the Unlimited list...so far only 4 carriers can ride on us unlimited:

-USAir
-Southwest
-Horizon
-Comair

As a non-AA jumpseater, your designation is either D6L (for limited) or D6U (for unlimited.) D6 denotes the fact that you are an OAL (other airline) jumpseater. So if you are a DL pilot you would be a D6L, and so on.

We hope to add all carriers to Unlimitied status that reciprocate, eventually.

Glad to help out fellow commuters when I can!

aa73

Any idea how long this update process will take. Some of our guys are getting left behind because we're still in as D6L. We (Independence/ACA) have been offering unlimited to AA for years and just wondering what the hold up is.

Appreciate the opportunity nonetheless.

AirBoard said:
Any idea how long this update process will take. Some of our guys are getting left behind because we're still in as D6L. We (Independence/ACA) have been offering unlimited to AA for years and just wondering what the hold up is.

The good news is that a lot of the agents have no idea about the jumpseat policies (especially the ones at the ticket counter -- hint hint) and sometimes check you in as D6U. I always play dumb and let them make the decision, usually it works out with no problem.

(My carrier is unlimited as well, and I know the American pilots know it cause they use us a lot... so I'm not sure why we're not in the system as unlimited yet).

stillflyn said:
I like AA jumpseating policy. Maybe we should all restrict our unlimited jumpseats to UAL and DAL (to number of actual jumpseats) until they fix it on their end. I know we (JB) pack on a lot of the UAL crews out of FLL to IAD and JFK after they shut down their MIA base.
I agree with your premise. It is a way to pressure line pilots to try to negotiate better policy (regarding the jumpseat). However, I would envision some real problems with reciprocity regarding UAL and DAL. Not most pilots, but some will look at it as an attack and not allow JB pilots on the JS.

Some pilots would think this.........You (JB pilots) want us to change our contract to resemble yours (with regards to the JS). If we don't you will bring the JS into the fray.

Some pilots may say the same thing applies to your contract....IE. If you (JB pilots) don't raise your pay, or work rules, or retirement etc.etc., then no JS for you.

The JS should never be used as a way to change a contract.

DALPA is working on this as we write. I hope and expect it to change, but starting a JS war with two of the three biggest airlines in the world is not such a good idea (IMHO).

Regards,

NYRANGERS

NYRANGERS said:
I agree with your premise. It is a way to pressure line pilots to try to negotiate better policy (regarding the jumpseat). However, I would envision some real problems with reciprocity regarding UAL and DAL. Not most pilots, but some will look at it as an attack and not allow JB pilots on the JS.

Some pilots would think this.........You (JB pilots) want us to change our contract to resemble yours (with regards to the JS). If we don't you will bring the JS into the fray.

Some pilots may say the same thing applies to your contract....IE. If you (JB pilots) don't raise your pay, or work rules, or retirement etc.etc., then no JS for you.

The JS should never be used as a way to change a contract.

DALPA is working on this as we write. I hope and expect it to change, but starting a JS war with two of the three biggest airlines in the world is not such a good idea (IMHO).

Regards,

NYRANGERS
NYR,

You are correct. I personally think it sucks that your company, as well as many of the others, use YOUR (your's meaning the pilots) jumpseat as a negotiating tool. For us, the JS has never come into play with regards to who "owns" it. Our management has always encouraged us to spread the word about our liberal policy and I am sure will continue to do so. We do have a few guys that might "wish" they had the ability to use it as a bargaining tool when dealing with other airlines, but it's just not that way.

We have a JS Committee, made up of a few pilots, and thety go about trying to get the best deals with OAL's as they can, and have done a great job. I don't know their methods, but I am sure that JB having the policy that it does certainly helps. I am sure that the other airlines JS Coordinators wish their hands weren't tied, but unfortunately, in many cases, they are.

That's the way the ball bounces.

C yaaa and Happy Holidays.

AirBoard said:

Airboard...

No official timeline so to speak, just an assurance from our jumpseat guy that all reciprocating carriers will eventually be accomodated, my guess is within the next year. Let me look into that as well, got nothing better to do on reserve anyway.

NYRANGERS,

How did pay come up? I just happen to like AA policy. If we get unlimited jumpseating on your airline then you get unlimited jumpseating on my airline. If you allow only 1 jumpseater per jumpseat and the plane goes out with 50 open seats and leave me behind, then it should be fair to offer the same service. Isn't that how DAL and UAL opperate? If we never left any of those guys behind nothing would change on their end. I'm sure that no one wants to leave anyone behind. DAL and UAL just need to get their policy changed by what ever means.

stillflyn

"AA has implemented a novel approach to jumpseat authorizations. They now reciprocate in kind. If you're unlimited on jumpseats, so are they".

Seems like the right way to approach it:" We get it on you, you get it on us.

However, while I sometimes get left behind due to the one jumpseat policy, I know how frustrating it is, so I probably would have a hard time turning someone esle down. This job offers enough hassle as is!

Perhaps we just need to work together and try to get the one jumpseat policy changed.

I was riding jumpseat on delta the other day and they asked if we taked unlimited jumpseaters. I said that we did and he said it was great because he had used us to get to work a few times. I asked if they were trying to work unlimited jumpseaters out and they said they are trying however management may want to eliminate offline jumpseating all together. Basically he said they only want FAA, DAL and DCI people in the jumpseat and no one else even if there are 100 open seats. He says they want to give unlimited jumpseats howeverthe company is fighting them on it. Please tell me this is not true. That would cause a lot of headaches if the offline jumpseat went away on DAL. Personally I wouldnt want to turn away someone to doesnt take unlimited jumpseaters because its a management thing. The pilots have no control over it and if they could they would take as many jumpseaters as there are open seats. Maybe someday it will be unlimited for all on every airline..

Latest resources

Back