• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Contract Dispatching

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Jepp treats it's people very well. All of their dispatchers are ex-121, and have, on average, 12-15 years experience. Some are retired 121 from the majors, several were hired when their local airline was bought by a regional, and others just left their 121 carrier for something different. Previous experience varies from line dispatcher to SOC Duty Manager to SOC Director. There is a wide swath of different backgrounds in the group.

Starting pay is very good. Dispatchers work for it though. A 10-hour shift doesn't have much down time. There are a handful of customers, but they fly all over the world. They each have their own rules and policies, so you have to stay sharp. A lot of the dispatcher's time is devoted to planning trips weeks in advance, then dispatching them on the day of flight.

Overall, a happy group of employees, with very good experience.

Jepp treats it's people very well. All of their dispatchers are ex-121, and have, on average, 12-15 years experience. Some are retired 121 from the majors, several were hired when their local airline was bought by a regional, and others just left their 121 carrier for something different. Previous experience varies from line dispatcher to SOC Duty Manager to SOC Director. There is a wide swath of different backgrounds in the group.

Starting pay is very good. Dispatchers work for it though. A 10-hour shift doesn't have much down time. There are a handful of customers, but they fly all over the world. They each have their own rules and policies, so you have to stay sharp. A lot of the dispatcher's time is devoted to planning trips weeks in advance, then dispatching them on the day of flight.

Overall, a happy group of employees, with very good experience.

of course, if they are bidding to take away from majors, that all goes downhill real fast!

Starting pay is very good.

"Very good" means different things to different folks. Actual numbers would be much more helpful if you know them.

I have noticed that between us dispatchers, we are reluctant to discuss exactly what we are paid. I don't know why that is. It would seem if we shared this info, it would help the whole community and save us time in job searches. We could eliminate and expose the $13/hr release mills.

That is where WDFF was so valuable. It was a central source of info, but our lack of interest sank that. I don't get it. Are we afraid of getting fired if we divulge what our employers are paying us, or just embarrassed?

of course, if they are bidding to take away from majors, that all goes downhill real fast!

HJD, you are correctomundo! Jepp will sell to the majors and regionals that they can do it cheaper than an in-house OCC. Start-up release mills across the country will attempt to underbid Jepp and the race to the bottom begins.

Just like when the majors outsourced flying to the regionals (and I am a regional airline sympathizer). Once this outsourcing happens, you can't put toothpaste back in the tube, its a done deal.

Pessimism is not my nature, but I see choppy waters ahead.

Fantastic point. So what does "Very good" mean to you?

I asked you first. You said Jepessen pays "very good". If you have those numbers, please share them with the rest of us. Then I will let you know if I think the pay fits within my personal "very good" range.

Mesaba to Skywest range .. COL at the regional bases mean as much as the pay.. I tired to satr up the WDFF information last year, as I recall.. but there was little interest by the "vast Majority" of people here..

Frankly in this economy one has to look at stability and where their pay will be in 3,5, 7 years.. top out... all the starting pays are tough... but doable in some cases..

I support the ADF as a member... but I think the can of worms are already opened with the NPRM.. and the ADF will have alot of trouble getting this paragraph removed... whats next is anyones guess.. but I think changes are coming over the long run...

Mesaba to Skywest range .. COL at the regional bases mean as much as the pay.. I tired to satr up the WDFF information last year, as I recall.. but there was little interest by the "vast Majority" of people here..

Frankly in this economy one has to look at stability and where their pay will be in 3,5, 7 years.. top out... all the starting pays are tough... but doable in some cases..

I support the ADF as a member... but I think the can of worms are already opened with the NPRM.. and the ADF will have alot of trouble getting this paragraph removed... whats next is anyones guess.. but I think changes are coming over the long run...

I don't consider that "range" as Very Good on my personal scale. It is average regional starting pay. If current (or future) Jepp DX'er's are doing international, long haul flights as part of their duties for regional scale pay, then I would consider it decidedly below average.

I for one appreciate you efforts in trying to resurrect WDFF. It was a valuable resource. There seems to be a taboo on discussing specific wage information among ourselves. That is why WDFF didn't keep flying. I don't understand why a previous poster who apparently knows the Jepp numbers but is hesitant to share them.

As far as the ADF is concerned, I was a member one time and I am sure they do some good, but with the current economic climate and the magnitude of the proposed changes, they are useless as teats on a bull.

My advice is to get into a swapper/canceller position (Ops Controller or System Coordinator or whatever they are called at different airlines). The airlines will always need them onsite.

Or going to private 135 ops.. some of them pay really quite well, of course, dispatching is only about 25% of the job....

I do see our skills being more an more needed/ requested, in these non-121 ops as we provide them with a significant insurance break and are good a grunt work:) ....JMHO..

Or going to private 135 ops.. some of them pay really quite well,

Ok, now we have the task of distinguishing between "Very Well" and "Quite Well"

Jepp is claimed to pay "Very Well" and Part 135 ops supposedly pays "Quite Well". Geez, does anyone get my effen point? Without numbers, these subjective opinions have no meaning. If you have some hard numbers it would be helpful to share them with the brothers and sisters of this forum.

I am looking to relocate back to the US the first of 2012 and I don't want to have to start from scratch and waste time chasing underpaying jobs. If you know a salary range, share it with us all. The favor may pay dividends for you in the future. I would do the same for you.

Gawd, its like pulling teeth!

Latest resources

Back