Contract Dispatching

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ok, now we have the task of distinguishing between "Very Well" and "Quite Well"

Jepp is claimed to pay "Very Well" and Part 135 ops supposedly pays "Quite Well". Geez, does anyone get my effen point? Without numbers, these subjective opinions have no meaning. If you have some hard numbers it would be helpful to share them with the brothers and sisters of this forum.

I am looking to relocate back to the US the first of 2012 and I don't want to have to start from scratch and waste time chasing underpaying jobs. If you know a salary range, share it with us all. The favor may pay dividends for you in the future. I would do the same for you.

Gawd, its like pulling teeth!

I could tell you what we make, but then everyone would be jealous and accuse us of riding coattails, and not paying our fair dues... LOL.. Come on back, the pay hasnt changed much, but the "total Compensation" kicks A$$ LOL LOL LOL

OK - I'll chip in here. I have about 15 years experience as a Dispatcher, including about 30 months as Manager of Dispatch.

I recently interviewed with Jeppesen for an International Flight Planner position in support of their contract with Executive Jet Management/NetJets. Due to an expanded contract (adding EJM) they had 22 positions to fill.

I also had an interview with JetBlue for a System Controller position.

Jepps has offered 55k to start, plus 10% relocation, they combine vacation and sick time into Personal Time Off, 17 days a year for the first 4 years. In 2000, the pension plan was halted for new employees. They have substituted depositing to your 401k, 3% from age up to age 39, 4% up to 49 and 5% age 50 and over. In addition, they match .75 per dollar up to 6% for your 401k. There are no flight benefits.

For JetBlue, System Controller pay is Dispatcher pay plus 15%. Their current 1st year dispatcher pay is 55k. They have 5% of guaranteed profit sharing, plus a dollar for dollar match up to 5% in your 401k. They do not offer any relocation, not even a couple of weeks in a hotel to find an apartment. But they do have flight benefits. OTOH, when I went from DEN to JFK for the interview, every flight was full on a Monday and a Tuesday.

I'm new to this web site, been reading alot of posts since joining to get caught up the discussions.. I was wondering how worried is everyone about this new rule coming out on contract dispatching..
and would I be better off focusing on Jep or other services than the airlines.. now that everyone seems to have had their hiring run for the year..

I'm not worried in the slightest.

Like I said on another forum, the QUALITY 121 operations will not use contract dispatching - your worldwide majors, and so on. They will want to keep those ops in house. However, those holding companies with multiple ops under their umbrella (SKYW, TSAH, and so on), I could see them going to it to eliminate the duplication of efforts.

The carriers who will lock on to this like a newborn to a boob will be the crappy carriers to begin with - the non quality 121 operations - to go faster in the race to the bottom.

I dont think Jepp will touch you without experience. I know that the ASA group is still hiring...

However, those holding companies with multiple ops under their umbrella (SKYW, TSAH, and so on), I could see them going to it to eliminate the duplication of efforts.

So, that would include AMR as well?

Anyhow, SKYW and RAH most likely won't do it, especially if Jepp is paying their dispatchers nearly 1.5 times what those companies pay their own to start. If anything, on top of this, RAH and SKYW would find it cheaper still to keep most of the management they have now, and then throw their family OCCs into one ops building so that they remove the redundant overhead.

OK - I'll chip in here. I have about 15 years experience as a Dispatcher, including about 30 months as Manager of Dispatch.

I recently interviewed with Jeppesen for an International Flight Planner position in support of their contract with Executive Jet Management/NetJets. Due to an expanded contract (adding EJM) they had 22 positions to fill.

I also had an interview with JetBlue for a System Controller position.

Jepps has offered 55k to start, plus 10% relocation, they combine vacation and sick time into Personal Time Off, 17 days a year for the first 4 years. In 2000, the pension plan was halted for new employees. They have substituted depositing to your 401k, 3% from age up to age 39, 4% up to 49 and 5% age 50 and over. In addition, they match .75 per dollar up to 6% for your 401k. There are no flight benefits.

For JetBlue, System Controller pay is Dispatcher pay plus 15%. Their current 1st year dispatcher pay is 55k. They have 5% of guaranteed profit sharing, plus a dollar for dollar match up to 5% in your 401k. They do not offer any relocation, not even a couple of weeks in a hotel to find an apartment. But they do have flight benefits. OTOH, when I went from DEN to JFK for the interview, every flight was full on a Monday and a Tuesday.

Thanks bcp7, that was very helpful. This forum is morphing into a very good resource for our community.

Dispatchers are a relatively small group and the more we all communicate and share information, the better we will be overall.

The old WDFF couldn't get kickstarted back to life but I think this is just as good or better as well as the jobs thread.

Latest resources

Back