• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Contract Dispatching

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What a crock of crap that proposal is. I wonder how much Jeppesen paid for it?

Well that's just great... I can see it now. "Hi my name is Peggy I'm your dispatcher what is problem please."

The FAA just didn't think this up all by themselves, airline management did. They have all wanted to get rid of us for some time. They will probably get their way. This move toward consolidation and the advances in software automation point in only one direction. Bye-bye travel benefits too.

I would advise anyone considering the dispatch profession to think twice.

Sadly, when it comes to this type of sweeping change, our collective voices are too few to prevent it ourselves. The pilots and their unions will have to back the dispatchers of their respective airlines in order to prevent such outsourcing. Unfortunately, there are entirely too many pilots that take their dispatchers for granted or view them as a nuisance.

The big, big problem here is the fact that it's delicately inserted in rule changes that the public wants to (and probably should) see. 671 pages and contract dispatching takes up 4 of them.

I was digging through comments from the original proposal a couple of years ago on regulations.gov, and I could only find one "pro-CD" - from Jeppessen. In their letter, they give examples of all sorts of other outsourced aviation professions.. yet not one of them exercise operational control.

Something else to ponder:

How does this change the negotiating process between airlines and their dispatchers?

Latest resources

Back