• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Contract Dispatching

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You wouldn't happen to have a link to the actual regulation do you? When I click that link, it takes you to regulation.gov home page. Thanks

You wouldn't happen to have a link to the actual regulation do you? When I click that link, it takes you to regulation.gov home page. Thanks

The second link on the OP works fine for me. Opens a PDF. Then start at page 55. The actual reg changes are further in the document. 121.14xx

This is like it is now for supplemental ops.. where the director of ops has the resonsibility and delegates it to his/ her flight followers, ( which most are now licensed dispatchers)..

Major difference being the D.O. for supp ops is typically in the same building as the dispatchers/flight followers. He can (if he wishes) build a working relationship with the dispatchers, and get to know them personally, which builds trust in those that he has delegated the ability to release the flights.

In the proposed situation, your "employed" dispatcher is in one location and is responsible for everything done in a completely different location, likely in another state. They don't know the person who is releasing their company's flights or if that contracted person is even 100% following all of their company's policies or is he thinking of one of the three other companies he dispatches for.

The sky is falling !!!!!! The sky is falling!!!

NOT !

All dispatcher union contracts have scope clauses to protect against outsourcing.

Relax....so SkyWesties....you might want to consider representation.

Strong scope language = the antidote to outsourcing.

All dispatcher union contracts have scope clauses to protect against outsourcing.

I suspect it would take an intern at a law firm about an hour to figure out how to get around most scope clauses in dispatcher contracts.

And if not, they only work so long as there's a CBA in place. There's this scenario:

Airline: "Here's what we're offering.."
Union: "It's not enough."
Airline: "Ok, go ahead and ask to be released. Should you choose not to accept what we're offering, we have an alternative."

Airline: "Here's what we're offering.."
Union: "It's not enough."
Airline: "Ok, go ahead and ask to be released. Should you choose not to accept what we're offering, we have an alternative."

True dat. I mean, look at how solid scope clauses have been for the majors...

The sky is falling !!!!!! The sky is falling!!!

NOT !

Relax....so SkyWesties....you might want to consider representation.

Strong scope language = the antidote to outsourcing.

Wrong! Many union brothers and sisters are still making less than $20/hr. In the past few decades, what has representation done for for you or the pilots for that matter. Union negotiations seem to consist of panties around the ankles and pleas for management to be "gentle".

Don't kid yourself, contract dispatching is going to happen. I know a lot of American pilots out here in the sandpit that had to resume working because they lost their union negotiated pensions.ALPA threw them under the bus.

Don't be comfortably numb thinking the union will take care of everything for you. That is a fool's game seeing what has transpired in the last few years. You are ultimately on your own anyway. Bottom line is that you are paying dues to folks that really don't give a crap about your lot in life. Just wait and see.

SkyWest DX'ers is doing just fine and is a good place to work. I know, I spent 10 years there. Pay and conditions there are as good as or better than most union shops. Representation is neither needed or wanted. Tits on a bull!

It's pretty simple.. The FAA is not going to spend milliions for a new rule without out having the total blessing of the industry.. this is intended to save the airlines money so the FAA can remain employed and keep revenue coming in.. while "trying" to maintain some sort of intergrity of safety.. its a natural progression of change and adapting to higher costs everywhere..
As long as the airlines can get legal ruling to protect them in law suits, they will do what ever it takes to save a buck and lower their overhead..

Wait for it... wait.... here it comes... I for one will be looking hard at developing a commercial dispatch center.. anyone care to join... may as well start preparing, Jeppeson can't do it all.. :(

I'm in!!!!! Turn chicken poop into chicken soup! Exploit the situation. With the new technology, we can all work from home and charge $20/release. That way we will get the money we deserve and can work in our skivvies if we choose.

We can work as much or little per day as we want. Whaddaya think?

This makes me angry in so many ways. I really want to know their stance on how this will maintain safety standards. I mean, when you have contact DX'ing out there, that opens up a whole new can of worms.

There will be no loyality to the company, there will be no motivation to develop a quality product, and most importantly safety will not be a high priority. All this is going to do is cause the "well it isnt my airline, they dont pay me. Who cares" mentality.

Latest resources

Back