Commuting to Cathay

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Mooseflyer

I've got a few questions for the US based Cathay guys commuting from somwhere else in the US.

1. How do you do it - do you buy your own ID90 or full fare tickets each month?
2. How much $$$ do you spend on said tickets each year?
3. How does it compare to other commutes you have done for previous employers? Less or more stress?
4. As a commuter, how many days, on average, do you have at home each month?
5. Have you ever missed a show time? Result?

Thanks guys, trying to weigh a few options here.

I've got a few questions for the US based Cathay guys commuting from somwhere else in the US.

1. How do you do it - do you buy your own ID90 or full fare tickets each month?
2. How much $$$ do you spend on said tickets each year?
3. How does it compare to other commutes you have done for previous employers? Less or more stress?
4. As a commuter, how many days, on average, do you have at home each month?
5. Have you ever missed a show time? Result?

Thanks guys, trying to weigh a few options here.

Moose,

1) I buy a ticket.

2)Depends on the Month. For me it averages about 280.00/Month. (A lot of guys use Zed and Id90's). Most of the guys I know commute. Some would rather drive 3-4 hours. It works out to be 2 patterns a month.

3) To be honest, the 280/month is worth it for me. I don't know how I commuted with my previous company for 5 years. Way too much stress. It is a good feeling when you show up and their is a long line of jumpseaters desperate to get on and you know your going! Its a small price to pay.

4) I have been spending an average of 17 days at home. Last few months has been 18-19.

5) Never missed a show time, and I wouldn't want to be in that position with this company. Then again, in the 5 years of commuting for my previous company and traveling standby I only missed 1 show time. Depends how close you want to cut it.

I know of two who live either in BLI or SEA and drive to YVR.

To answer a previous question, missing a duty is pretty serious. It has resulted in demotions (3 years) and terminations in the past.

the only "excuse" is a confirmed, full-fare flight that doesn't get in due to weather or technical.

Thanks for your help guys. Another question....

As a new DEFO, how hard would it be to get LAX as a base? Thanks again!

Very easy. I wanted JFK and got assigned LAX. Worked out much better in the end.

LAX is probably the most junior base.

thread revival!

i have heard its a big deal to switch aircraft. is this true? can someone bid -400 FO, eventually upgrade (on the freight side i suppose) then later bid back to pax on the 777?

what if you are in SFO on the -400 when they finally go to all 777 for pax? do they move you to another city or train you on the 777?

Latest resources

Back