Commuting to Cathay

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
thread revival!

i have heard its a big deal to switch aircraft. is this true? can someone bid -400 FO, eventually upgrade (on the freight side i suppose) then later bid back to pax on the 777?

what if you are in SFO on the -400 when they finally go to all 777 for pax? do they move you to another city or train you on the 777?

Adding to these questions, if you get to live in a US domicile, do you have to fly an airplane that serves that city? For example, can you be awarded 777 SO/FO if you want to be based in LAX (no 777 service yet)?

Adding to these questions, if you get to live in a US domicile, do you have to fly an airplane that serves that city? For example, can you be awarded 777 SO/FO if you want to be based in LAX (no 777 service yet)?

they're not going to award you a base with a plane that doesn't fly there. if they change a/c the only hope you have is to use a joker which lets you bid an a/c to remain in domicile. for the most part, if you want to live in the states you're gonna be on the freighter and be based in lax or jfk.

they're not going to award you a base with a plane that doesn't fly there. if they change a/c the only hope you have is to use a joker which lets you bid an a/c to remain in domicile. for the most part, if you want to live in the states you're gonna be on the freighter and be based in lax or jfk.

There are no freighter only DEFO slots any more. You can be based at any domicile in North America. If you choose a freighter only base, ANC DFW, ATL then you will probably only fly on freighters, but they may position you to a PAX base to fly PAX out of there, who knows. Right now you can bid for the above freighter ports and SFO, LAX, ORD, JFK. They are also offering Candian ports.

There are no freighter only DEFO slots any more. You can be based at any domicile in North America. If you choose a freighter only base, ANC DFW, ATL then you will probably only fly on freighters, but they may position you to a PAX base to fly PAX out of there, who knows. Right now you can bid for the above freighter ports and SFO, LAX, ORD, JFK. They are also offering Candian ports.

They are offering Canadian ports to US pilots? If you wanted to live in SEA and work in YVR, is it a problem to get a permit to work in Canada?

So DFW is an option ???? I saw DFW listed as a crew base port in an interview letter, but somebody I know said he checked with [FONT='Tahoma','sans-serif']Carol de la Harpe and that she claimed it to be a mistake.[/FONT]

The idea behind bases is that it allows pilots to live AT HOME.

CX will not babysit you on residency or tax issues. If you claim you have the right to live and work in a country, so be it.

Fall foul of the tax or immigration authorities and you will be terminated - unable to perform your duties - and get to feel what it's like to be a Mexican Migrant Worker in SoCal.

Just out of curiosity, what are typical North American based schedules like these days? I've been told that it's something along the lines of 5 on 10 off, only working two 5 day trips a month.

Seems a bit too good to be true. Is this typical? What can one realistically expect to fly as an ATL or JFK based 747 FO?

Just out of curiosity, what are typical North American based schedules like these days? I've been told that it's something along the lines of 5 on 10 off, only working two 5 day trips a month.

Seems a bit too good to be true. Is this typical? What can one realistically expect to fly as an ATL or JFK based 747 FO?

That is almost true...more like 6 on, a bunch off, 7 on....HOWEVER, CX is now making all new hires relief qualified(you are in charge when CA is sleeping).....FO's with that qual are typically seeing a 6 day trip and a 9 day trip each month. Be advised, when you get this qual you WILL be doing 6-10 day trips.....its not advertised at the interview.

That is almost true...more like 6 on, a bunch off, 7 on....HOWEVER, CX is now making all new hires relief qualified(you are in charge when CA is sleeping).....FO's with that qual are typically seeing a 6 day trip and a 9 day trip each month. Be advised, when you get this qual you WILL be doing 6-10 day trips.....its not advertised at the interview.

Good information. If you get hired and work out of ATL or JFK, should you expect to primarily fly the same routes over and over? For example, as an ATL-based pilot, are you primarily flying to ANC (maybe a stop in ORD) and onto HKG and back for every trip or can you expect a little variety beyond that down route (maybe some Middle East or other parts of Asia on the freighter)?

The idea behind bases is that it allows pilots to live AT HOME.

CX will not babysit you on residency or tax issues. If you claim you have the right to live and work in a country, so be it.

Fall foul of the tax or immigration authorities and you will be terminated - unable to perform your duties - and get to feel what it's like to be a Mexican Migrant Worker in SoCal.

I should have done a better job with my original question. I understand the consequences of doing it illegally. I just wasn't sure what the deal was between the US and Canada specifically. Historically the relationship between US and Canada has been a bit more liberal than with other countries.

I wasn't sure if they'd even consider basing someone in a country in which they didn't have a passport for.

Second, as I'm certain the requirements cant be as difficult as they are in the EU, has anyone pulled this off legally? If so, what did it take?

Bonus question: If you get based in HKG, do you also have to arrange your own permit to live and work in HKG?

Thanks.

Latest resources

Back