• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Commuting to Cathay

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I should have done a better job with my original question. I understand the consequences of doing it illegally. I just wasn't sure what the deal was between the US and Canada specifically. Historically the relationship between US and Canada has been a bit more liberal than with other countries.

I wasn't sure if they'd even consider basing someone in a country in which they didn't have a passport for.

Second, as I'm certain the requirements cant be as difficult as they are in the EU, has anyone pulled this off legally? If so, what did it take?

Bonus question: If you get based in HKG, do you also have to arrange your own permit to live and work in HKG?

Thanks.

I took this right off the Cathay website... This should answer your question..

An applicant must possess the right to live and work in the chosen Base Area. The Company will not sponsor applications to immigration authorities for Flight Crew to live and work in any port other than Hong Kong.

Hey Captain Underpants good to see you providing succinct and valuable information. I have always valued your input...

I took this right off the Cathay website... This should answer your question..

An applicant must possess the right to live and work in the chosen Base Area. The Company will not sponsor applications to immigration authorities for Flight Crew to live and work in any port other than Hong Kong.

Hey Captain Underpants good to see you providing succinct and valuable information. I have always valued your input...

Thanks, I also appreciate everyone's time to answer all of our questions. I'll be happy to buy a beer or grape Nehi if we ever cross paths.

That does answer the bonus question. Now I just need to find out if anyone successfully got a permit to work for CX out of YVR from the US and if they did, how difficult it was.

For the record, this isn't my plan. I agreed to put this question up for a friend of mine who is also applying. It's not a deal breaker for him but it would definitely help if he could pull this off (legally of course) and keep his house.

I'm nowhere near a base. If I'm able to survive the gauntlet, I'll be moving no matter what.

They are offering Canadian ports to US pilots? If you wanted to live in SEA and work in YVR, is it a problem to get a permit to work in Canada?

In fact, a good friend of mine got offered just that, A340 DEFO out of VYR while he is an Amercian citizen and living in Bellingham, WA.

I won't pretend to know the details.

Well, if he told CX that he had the right to live and work in YVR, then they would have offered him the job in YVR.

They may even know that he's American, and choose to ignore it.

I can assure any of you thinking along similar lines that if the Canadian Immigration and Tax Authorities get wind of your situation (US Citizen living in the US and working out of Canada and not on a work visa or without a landed immigrant visa - like a green card) you will probably regret it.

They typically levy large fines and interest on back taxes, occasionally jail terms.

Canadian income tax can be very punitive - two parts, Federal and Provincial added together can be upwards of 50%. http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tax/individuals/faq/taxrates-e.html

I really wish all of you the best of luck in your pursuit of better jobs, but please don't take these positions away from Canadians...there are few enough jobs to go around anyway up North! (Legal issues aside).

What about all the Canadians based in the US (USAB)? At least on the pax side, the great majority of the pilots are Canadians.

How easy (or hard) is it to move around bases? One reason CX interests me is the ability to live in AMS, PAR, LON etc. Assume the right to work in each place...just wondering if say 3 years in one base and then 3 years in another base is possible?

Latest resources

Back