• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Another SWA proposal

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Andy...Haven't always been on the same side of the fence as you, but I've always respected your opinion...thanks for your sense of reality, in this particular instance.

Last edited:
Got a serious question. Why would SWAPA want a different pay rate for the 717. According to the SWA guys on here there are over 700 AirTran applications in at SWA before merger announcement. So, it would be reasonable to believe that many of those 717 pilots also have 737 types. With no fences doesn't that mean when there is a 737 vacancy the pilot that can hold the vacancy can jump ship over to the 737 and all of the new hires at SWA will be forced on the 717. Why would they treat their new hires that way? Or are they adjusting longevity to meet the payrate adjustments? Just wondering?

Maybe SWA will only allow those with 737 types to bid the 737 (regardless of seniority) considering you don't need the type for an interview. This scenario would cut down on training costs. Of course, the devil will be in the details...

A type in the 737 takes a circling approach during transition training, a single engine go around, and a slightly more thorough ground eval, sim takes 4 extra minutes for those two events, basically zero cost to anyone.

If its zero cost, why does SWA insist on a type rating prior to interview/hiring?

BECAUSE IT REDUCES TRAINING REQUIRED FOR QUALIFICATION, THUS REDUCING DIRECT COSTS TO THE AIRLINE.

Duh.

And it demonstrates who is "dedicated" enough to shell out $8K for training SWA should be paying for.

Andy...Haven't always been on the same side of the fence as you, but I've always respected your opinion...thanks for your sense of reality, in this particular instance.

LOL! Yes, I was quite passionate about 65. Unfortunately, I was correct as to my personal fate once 65 passed - another extended unpaid vacation.

I realize that there's a lot of passion on both sides of this integration. I had a lot of passion with respect to age 65.

What really bothers me is how some on the sidelines are urging the AirTran pilots to push the nuclear option (arbitration) without addressing the possible serious negative consequences of pursuing that path. Since AIP1 was turned down by the MEC, the moves by Southwest management have made it clear to me that AIP2 is the last offer on the table to integrate the two companies. Others may read the tea leaves differently but they're not only risking the career of AirTran's pilots, they're also risking every AirTran employee's jobs. That's 8,000 employees. In a brutally tough job market. So these AirTran cheerleaders will be able to slink off and go back to their jobs if they’re wrong after helping create the impetus for 8,000 AirTran employees to lose their jobs.

I think that the reason why Southwest wanted the pilot seniority list hammered out first is because if it turns too ugly, they can shut off plans for a single operating certificate and spin down AirTran within the current subdivision where AirTran currently resides within Southwest's corporate structure. Southwest acquired AirTran for a rapid large scale ATL presence/gates/slots and to eliminate a direct competitor. They've accomplished both of those goals and IMHO all other AirTran assets for the most part are viewed as either neutral or negative by Southwest management.

I’ve seen people use the term ‘fair and equitable’. The problem is that life is not fair and equitable and there never has been a fair and equitable seniority list integration in the eyes of all stakeholders. One’s definition of fair and equitable is completely different than another person’s definition.

I can see the arguments from both sides on this matter. The problem that the AirTran pilots have is that they no longer have any leverage in the negotiations. That went away the moment that Southwest gained a strong foothold in ATL and eliminated a competitor. Was AIP1 fair and equitable? Not to every stakeholder. Will AIP2 be fair and equitable? Again, not to every stakeholder. I know this sucks to quite a few people but you’ve got to accept the hand you’re dealt and slog on, just as I have since getting handed my second furlough in April 2009.

Then again, if this decision goes to arbitration and southwest attempts to destroy the Air Tran work force, putting a lot of people on the street, there could be some serious political repercussions. I suspect Kelly knows this.

Then again, if this decision goes to arbitration and southwest attempts to destroy the Air Tran work force, putting a lot of people on the street, there could be some serious political repercussions. I suspect Kelly knows this.

Just 1700 on the street. The rest of the work force will have a job.

there could be some serious political repercussions.

like what? not flaming, sincerely asking. as much as we'd like to think we are that important if you can offer people something for less money their memory will be very short to why they have these lower prices.

i honestly don't want anyone on the street, not good kharma, but it's out of my hands. again, i'm not that important. but if there was a nuclear option exercised the second worse thing to having people unemployed would be more legislation that would try and tell company's how to run their business ala bond/mcCaskill.

It's SW's koolaid stand. They run it their way, so be it. If I don't like the taste of the koolaid there are other places to drink it's my choice, so be it.

The word "culture" has a whole new meaning to me.

It's SW's koolaid stand. They run it their way, so be it. If I don't like the taste of the koolaid there are other places to drink it's my choice, so be it.

The word "culture" has a whole new meaning to me.

Exactly, thats why God gave us alcohol.

Latest resources

Back