• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AirTran expansion likely, says Hoeksema

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
All you have to do is look no further than Horizon Airlines.. When they were researching the replacement of the F28 they looked at 50 seat RJ's.. Horizon said the 50 seat RJ doesn't make any sense because you can't make any money with it because the operating costs were so high, thus the reason they bought 70 seat RJ's. Even now, Horizon basically says the 70 seat RJ is a break even airplane and they make their money with the Q400.. You guys can say what you want, but Midex needs RJ's like SWA "needs" RJ's.. Airtran tried it, and it didn't work.. But Hoeksema may know something that nobody else does..

Thats comparing apples to oranges. The RJ Costs with Airtran were significantly higher with Air Wisconsin(before Concessions) than Skywest operating costs are now. Plus Midwest is not assuming all the debt and risk of owning these A/C.

No...we cut them loose long before they could!

it was a good precedent you guys set!

i hope in the future the primary growth is in the 717's or 737/A320 at midwest! but this current arrangement is the hand midwest's pilots are dealt now.

Thats comparing apples to oranges. The RJ Costs with Airtran were significantly higher with Air Wisconsin(before Concessions) than Skywest operating costs are now. Plus Midwest is not assuming all the debt and risk of owning these A/C.
Neither did AirTran when they operated them.

People just don't get it. I have the operating cost data from Bombardier on the CRJ-200; it is a MONEY LOSER. It was designed simply to connect high-fare passengers into the major airline hubs for transcon and international flying. Period.

Every time it takes off, it costs more money to fly than it makes. The operators who are flying it make money because the major they are flying for pays them a fee per departure or fee per mile.

If you have any questions about how economical a 50-seater in combination with narrow body mainline is, just ask an Indy Air pilot.

Incidentally, that comic is HILARIOUS!!

The airline exec booted out of the plane should have had a contract sticking out of his pocket with "T/A 2007" written on it, because that is what the majority of our pilots are going to do when they see this turd . . . . . . giving it the boot.

The airline exec booted out of the plane should have had a contract sticking out of his pocket with "T/A 2007" written on it, because that is what the majority of our pilots are going to do when they see this turd . . . . . . giving it the boot.
Don't hold back... tell me how you really feel about it! LOL... ;)

I agree though. I have immediate NO vote items that, if present on the T.A., will simply cause me to put the rest of it in the "Can you believe they even tried to pass this" junk box in the closet (for sentimental value - and a good laugh - during retirement).

Unfortunately, I've heard 2 of them are done deals and included on the T.A.'d section. Been hearing the rumors from multiple sources, one or two of which I believe are in the "know" enough to be believed.

I'll wait 'till I see it, but I can honestly say the talk has made me solidify what I really need -vs- "it would be nice to have" items.

6439_large1.jpg

FlyWolf-

Thanks for the laugh . . . . . I think I just set a distance record for shooting single-malt Scotch out of the human nose . . . . . :cool:

I imagine that picture will end up on quite a few refrigerators- it will be on mine, as soon as I get home!

TW

Last edited:
FlyWolf-

Thanks for the laugh . . . . . I think I just set a distance record for shooting single-malt Scotch out of the human nose . . . . . :cool:

I imagine that picture will end up on quite a few refrigerators- it will be on mine, as soon as I get home!

TW

Glad you got a kick out of it Ty :)

Latest resources

Back