Would you pay $1,000 for a headset???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
TonyC said:
Is there anybody that can share their experience with or without the Bose X in a 727 or 727-like cockpit? I've about had enough of the noise, and I'm seriously considering the investment.

As far as price goes, I can't help but be taken aback by the sticker. However, their program to stretch the payments over 12 months interest free makes it possible to have a pair sent to my home for less than $95 a month. The peace of mind and prospects of obtaining repairs from Bose outweigh the bargains I've found on e-bay. In fact, many of the headsets I see on e-bay are as expensive as the Bose website - - go figger.

Number one priority - - protect my hearing.

Number two priority - - reduce fatigue caused by noise.

Number three priority - - improve clarity of radio transmissions.

Number four priority - - reduce perceived noise.

Does anybody know of something that will better fit this bill than Bose?

Bose is your best option. Yeah, it cost's $1000, but it wil last the rest of your career if you want. I've wore it in a very loud piston airplane (Mooney Ovation) and a fairly quiet jet (FRJ, not as quiet as bigger airplanes, much quieter than other RJ's). It cancels out noise like no other headset (I've flown several airplanes where the lowest volume on the intercom is still too loud), but it's real value is comfort. You can were it all day long (even with sunglasses) with no discomfort.

Plunk down the money, you won't be disappointed. If you are an AOPA member you can buy it from Sporty's with your AOPA MBNA credit card and get 5% off immediately ($50, not bad).

Oh yeah, almost forgot. It the B727 cockpit loud? If it is it must be because you are going so stinking fast.

Last edited:
I have the bose and have used them for 7 months and they are deffiantely the best noise cancleing and most comfortable heasets I have ever worn, however they are not made as well as some other brands. Just yesterday I had my cord come out of my control box while putting them into my headset case. I did not tug on the cord or even put any tension on it, it simply fell out. Bose customer support is very good but I noticed that the cord does not have any kind of grommet to hold it into the control box case so all the tension of cord gets put on the soilder joints and plugs inside on the circuit board. Since I was in the middle of a trip at the time I had to go to a flight school on the field and buy a cheap set of heasets which really upset me. Bose has a little work to do on their durability.

A month ago I would've called someone crazy for dropping a dime on a headset. However, the King Air we fly has two Bose Xs in the aircraft and I am in love with those things. :)

Absolutely awesome cans.

Minh

what do you guys suggest for someone starting their flight training? something middle of the road (300-500 bucks?) or go higher or lower?

cforst513 said:
what do you guys suggest for someone starting their flight training? something middle of the road (300-500 bucks?) or go higher or lower?

I would suggest David Clark 13.4 headset. Since you only have 4 hours, it is impossible to say whether or not you are going to pursue an actual career. Thus it would be hard to justify dropping a grand on a headset (unless money is no object to you). The 13.4's are a solid headset and they can take a beating. The price is under $300 and they have a the best warranty in the business and will more than likely last 20 years or so. If you do decide to further your flying into a career or an active hobby then get a more expensive headset at that time. And then you will have the 13.4's as a spare (pilot's are usually redundant and always have a spare).

Boss

I love my Sennheisers!

I have Sennheiser HME 100 Passive Headset . Have had them for 1000 hours and have no problems with them. They are not noise cancelling, yet work well. The fit the ears well, no problems with glasses or earrings, even after 8 hours of flying in a day. I do not feel any fatigue with them, no pressure. Very comfortable.

They are compact, easy to transport, and fit well. The volume control is on one side for both ears (cannot figure out why DCs have two volume controls).

The Bose are excellent but if you want a 2nd option go with the Lightspeed. Whatever you do, dont buy Flightcom crap headsets, bad warranty service and inferior products. Not worth your time and effort go with #1 Bose or #2 Lightspeed.

Latest resources

Back