• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Would you pay $1,000 for a headset???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Actually to be serious, I use 750's for their comfort and place one of those squissy ear plugs in the right ear for additional protection. Let me tell ya, never, never, never, fly a P-51 without a headset. Huh?

www.bdkingpress.com

When I upgraded to Saab captain, my boyfriend at the time bought me a set of the $1000 bose headsets. It was worth every penny of his money. But would I buy them myself? Probably not.

I did buy the QC2s as well as the outdoor landscape speakers. Bose makes good stuff. The aviation headsets are a little pricey.

Best $1,000 I ever spent was on a Bose X Aviation Headset. Still look new after 3,000 hrs and 5 years of use, great product support for the one time I had a problem (sent a loaner, fixed it free and sent me a $200+ quiet comfort headset for free). I can wear them for 10 hours and not feel like I have a vise on my head. I figure they have cost me about $0.17 per hour of use with no down time since I could sell them tomorrow for $500.

I would never use another headset except in a very quiet jet cockpit, where I would consider telex.

I was considering the bose but decided instead on the lightspeed 25xl's (refurbished). Honestly, the bose are much better but for 3x the cost (I spent $360 including shipping) it wasn't worth it to me. If I take a full-tim job flying a piston twin or turboprop I might just spring for them though. I fly in piston singles and twins and my old DC's are quiter in the single but in the twin the ANR wins hands down.

Keep in mind the ANR doesn't cancel out the "white noise" or wind noise - just the low end stuff coming mostly from the props and piston engines.

~wheelsup

Last edited:
When flying GA airplanes/helicopters, I wear a DC headset and earplugs underneath. My hearing is sensitive enough that I can't wear JUST a headset....and I want it to stay that way! I have Bose X headsets, and I wouldn't spend $1k on them.....I just don't think they do enough more to protect my hearing than my 10yr old DC's and earplugs do.

FracCapt said:
When flying GA airplanes/helicopters, I wear a DC headset and earplugs underneath. .

I used to do that too - in singles it worked great but I found the low-end noise still came in through in the baron.

~wheelsup

wheelsup said:
Keep in mind the ANR doesn't cancel out the "white noise" or wind noise - just the low end stuff coming mostly from the props and piston engines.

My Bose takes out wind noise, but my LightSpeed doesn't. You ought to hear the difference.

-Goose

I pm'ed you. Get the telex 580, no batteries and anr!

I bought the Bose, and couldn't be happier with them. They do a great job of canceling noise but they really shine when you have to where a headset for an extended period of time. I bought them when flight instructing and continue to where them in the 328JET (very quiet compared to other RJ's). They are really light, they don't clamp your head, and you won't get the "sweaty ear" in the summer time. I highly recommend them for a professional pilot, but don't bother if you don't plan on flying a lot (unless of course you have money to burn).

Latest resources

Back