• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

WN buying some A gates in DEN....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The bigger legacies will continue to grow and pick up more revenue and profit due to fees that you don't believe in, except at your subsidiary AT..... You have to make money to build those terminals, and your 3rd quarter last year didn't help. So Hoser, how many AT guys were placed in front of you anyway?

Godspeed!

The OYSter

Still working on SWA's 2011 Q3? That's the best you got? Dude, you REALLY need some new material, seeing as how you don't even understand what you're trying to use as an insult. On the other hand, good for you, that you are finally making money at Delta. You can rag all you want about revenue and profit (clearly you don't understand how any of that works), but in the end, SWA is doing just fine. Better than you, I might add. Let's put it this way, since you seem to be all about profits and such: Southwest is making plenty of money. We all get profit sharing, have for more than 35 consecutive years, and will undoubtely do so after you're finally put out to pasture. In fact, we make so much money, that we actually pay most of our Flight Attendants more than YOU personally make. And the company still makes a profit after paying those huge wages. Imagine that!

Is that clear enough for you, my educationally-challenged friend?

Bubba

I'll help

SWA:
Div & Yield .02 (0.20%)

Total Debt/Equity (mrq): 64.86

DAL:
Div & Yield:N/A (N/A)
Total Debt/Equity (mrq): 1,195.83

Thats 1,195 dollars owed for each dollar of value on the company books.

The only thing these number show is one company will be here in 10 years, and one won't.

Delta paid down $2 billion in debt in 2010, probably the same in 2011, and is bringing the debt down from $18 billion a couple years ago to $10 billion in 2013, saving $500 million a year in finance charges. All that in years with a "bad economy". No wonder GK is nervous, he said so in that memo.

Your problem may very well be an implosion of your famous culture thanks to the ridiculous SLI. That will sting for years. Let's hope you still have an airline and a healed culture in 10 years.

Godspeed!

The OYSter

Still working on SWA's 2011 Q3? That's the best you got? Dude, you REALLY need some new material, seeing as how you don't even understand what you're trying to use as an insult. On the other hand, good for you, that you are finally making money at Delta. You can rag all you want about revenue and profit (clearly you don't understand how any of that works), but in the end, SWA is doing just fine. Better than you, I might add. Let's put it this way, since you seem to be all about profits and such: Southwest is making plenty of money. We all get profit sharing, have for more than 35 consecutive years, and will undoubtely do so after you're finally put out to pasture. In fact, we make so much money, that we actually pay most of our Flight Attendants more than YOU personally make. And the company still makes a profit after paying those huge wages. Imagine that!

Is that clear enough for you, my educationally-challenged friend?

Bubba

This from a guy named "Bubba.". Some of your flight attendants make more than I do? Really? 2nd year pay on the bus? I don't think so, but if yooooooouuuu say so! How about AT flight attendants? Did you treat them poorly too? You did have a bad year last year, worse than the decade before it when you had a fuel hedge advantage. That is gone now. Your dumb TV commercials have stopped you from joining the extra revenue bandwagon of fees, except at AT of course. Btw, did you guys get any stock or any raises for your part in the merger? You just got some AT guys put in front of you? Those guys would have done a lot better in arbitration probably. In any case, good luck to you guys this year, I hope you do better.

Godspeed!

The OYSter

.... No wonder GK is nervous, he said so in that memo...

Godspeed!

The OYSter

He didn't say he was nervous; he said he was concerned about costs. He's always concerned about costs; he's a numbers guy. That's his verson of a peptalk. At least get your quotes right, since you can't get anything ELSE right. He was mentioning this because AA became the last legacy to declare bankruptcy. That means ALL of the legacies have lowered their costs through BK, i.e. blowing off paying for what they promised to pay. What a surprise, that legacies (i.e. Delta) can compete a little better, after getting permission to not pay the bills they ran up. Wow. Who'd a' thought?

Thanks for your concern, OYS, but I suspect we'll be okay. We've always met our obligations and paid our bills, we own most of our aircraft, we pay all of our employees well, we take care of them (never a furlough), AND, even after all that, we still make a profit, year after year after year. Trust me: you should save your energy worrying about something else, instead of whether SWA will somehow manage to survive. Maybe like getting through your off-probation check ride? Good luck with that.

Bubba

This from a guy named "Bubba.". Some of your flight attendants make more than I do? Really? 2nd year pay on the bus? I don't think so, but if yooooooouuuu say so! How about AT flight attendants? Did you treat them poorly too? You did have a bad year last year, worse than the decade before it when you had a fuel hedge advantage. That is gone now. Your dumb TV commercials have stopped you from joining the extra revenue bandwagon of fees, except at AT of course. Btw, did you guys get any stock or any raises for your part in the merger? You just got some AT guys put in front of you? Those guys would have done a lot better in arbitration probably. In any case, good luck to you guys this year, I hope you do better.

Godspeed!

The OYSter

Don't know much about AT flight attendants and their contract. However, when they transisiton they'll be under our flight attendants' CBA. But yes, a lot of our flight attendants make over $100k per year. But on the other hand, they probably know more about finance than you, so they deserve to make more than you.

Bubba

He didn't say he was nervous; he said he was concerned about costs. He's always concerned about costs; he's a numbers guy. That's his verson of a peptalk. At least get your quotes right, since you can't get anything ELSE right. He was mentioning this because AA became the last legacy to declare bankruptcy. That means ALL of the legacies have lowered their costs through BK, i.e. blowing off paying for what they promised to pay. What a surprise, that legacies (i.e. Delta) can compete a little better, after getting permission to not pay the bills they ran up. Wow. Who'd a' thought?

Thanks for your concern, OYS, but I suspect we'll be okay. We've always met our obligations and paid our bills, we own most of our aircraft, we pay all of our employees well, we take care of them (never a furlough), AND, even after all that, we still make a profit, year after year after year. Trust me: you should save your energy worrying about something else, instead of
whether SWA will somehow manage to survive. Maybe like getting through your off-probation check ride? Good luck with that.

Bubba

So if you go BK, you don't get a second chance? Everyone does, including your own company if it goes that way someday. And I don't remember ever hearing GK act "concerned" before. That is troublesome for someone who lead the way last decade.

And the big problem I read with the last part of your post is your omission of your new subsidiary. You seem to try to forget that your group did NOT treat them well at all, that many of their planes are leased, and you did inherit some debt there. They are now a part of you. Don't forget that. And our probation starts at the DOH, and the one year ride was actually after my 1 year was up. I did well anyway, but I didn't have that stress.

Good luck to you guys again. I hope those wounds heal on the AT side and you really can get that culture back.

Godspeed!

The OYSter

You fly 50 seaters? Do you have a resume ready for lav dumping those MD80s you are "hearing about?". That's about the closest you will get to one. And make sure you wear your face guard while servicing those lavs, that would be nasty and funny to see you take a gulp of dump. Sounds like you are used to it anyway, you are full of it.

Godspeed!

The OYSter

When we get the the MD80 I will be more than glad to dump the lavs during the turn. What is the difference, the side of my plane now says Delta.

See you on my jumpseat.

Be careful, there are alot of planes that say Delta Connection on the side. They will be looking to fly bigger planes, and when push comes to shove DALPA will allow it. Dick Anderson will agree to a nice increase in pay for the Double Breasted Riverboat drivers if they release just a little more scope. Just sit back and watch how it plays out..

Meanwhile, Southwest will continue to grow slowly and fully realize the strength of the AAI purchase.

Latest resources

Back