• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Will DAL/NW Merge? Yay or Nay?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Did you see the Lufthansa profit for 2007.....$2.5B, yes Billion (on half the pax of WN)! Just how the hell are DL and NWA going to compete with numerous super carriers like this around the globe?

I'm not sure how this merger would change that. The problem is we get most of our revenue in dollars which today aren't worth squat. $100 oil isn't so bad if your currency is say, the Euro. I guess more international revenue would help now but we're all working in that direction anyway. Eventually the cycle will turn and the US domestic market will be the cash cow again.

Last edited:
No, I am trying to say when you balance the attrition of both pilots and aircraft, your advancement for the next 5-10 years is not that different than what a Delta pilot can expect.

Really?? Do you care to elaborate on our fleet plan? Don't forget to let us know how the scope clause plays into this attrition. Apparently we all need a lesson as the contract (scope clause) clearly says something different than the "facts" you're about to present.

Schwanker

No, I am trying to say when you balance the attrition of both pilots and aircraft with aircraft deliveries, your advancement for the next 5-10 years is not that different than what a Delta pilot can expect.

I don't know if that assessment is correct but I like the way you phrased it the second time.

Lets all get along....we'll be sharing a flight deck soon.

I agree, who needs an aging shrinking fleet of outdated narrow body airplanes!

Ummmm....Delta Airlines apparently. I mean, who approached who and wanted to merge? (never mind that your comment has no basis in fact, as has been shown here over and over in the face of a general lack of ability to comprehend by the average DL pilot posting here.)

Schwanker,

I've noticed that you have gotten more and more angry at this merger as the days go by. With a total of 5000 on the flight time and a DC9 as the aircraft, I don't think you have much to lose with a merger. Us guys at the bottom are at the bottom no matter which list it is. I for one like the idea that if we merge, there will be a lot more options for our career as time passes. I live in Alaska and currently none of the Delta bases interest me but maybe in 20 years when my bones start to creek, the sun may feel good on these old bones. It might just be the same for you. Keep your head up, it aint all that bad.

Ummmm....Delta Airlines apparently. I mean, who approached who and wanted to merge? (never mind that your comment has no basis in fact, as has been shown here over and over in the face of a general lack of ability to comprehend by the average DL pilot posting here.)
Or the arrogance and sense of entitlement by the average NWA pilot!;)

Today Anderson stated we could go it alone and do just fine, and Steenland stated consolidation is "inevitable." Sounds like Steenland really wants a merger, and to retire. He may not get either, which could be bad for you, twice.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Smarty?

Two quick things there smarty, just because he flew for NWA(he was Blue Book if you caught that) does not make him an expert on Red Book vs Green Book. Secondly, we've already discussed the SLI a few threads earlier. But I am sure you we're getting to that next. :laugh:
Don't get pissed "smarty." It wasn't a slam at you, but, it WAS funny. Yea...I caught the fact that he was blue book as am I. You don't have to be on the property a long time to "get" the red/green book feuds at NWA. I flew with the #1 blue book guy the other day and he's been around a pretty long time (initially hired by Republic but after the announcement). Are you saying he can't get the feud because he's blue book? I don't think so. As far as SLI, I wasn't going to get to it at all. I won't contribute to the "sword fight." I won't pass rumors or buy into any of the media reports/leaks. I won't stir the pot. I'm patiently waiting for words from my MEC. Have a nice day.

If DAL/NWA merger does not happen, what is the phase-out plan for the Diesel 9 fleet? How will this impact the current Diesel 9 pilot group? Will the Diesel 9s primarily be replaced by E175s? Can someone elaborate on this topic?

Make 'em buy new airplanes

If DAL/NWA merger does not happen, what is the phase-out plan for the Diesel 9 fleet?

If the DC-9s are no longer needed, they should be scrapped instead of sold. Ours ended up in the hands of a low-cost competitor, who promptly used them against us. :(

Latest resources

Back