Why I am posting this I don't know

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bluepost

91k has improved my life on the road significantly, I feel rested and relaxed and actually have time to enjoy the cities I am staying in. Part of this is because our new MEC did not cave into the company requests. See with a union, that is all they are is REQUESTS, we have a say on what they try to dump on us.

I used to be embarrased to work for NJA, and am still regarding the pay, but I still have hope, and have not pursued 3 separate job openings in my city paying 95k and higher that have come up in the last 2 weeks.

Our leadership is fighting all the battles once and for all...single carrier, gateway lou has been scheduled for arbitration after 3 years, our old local is now history, and I just received word that Teamsters National will be repaying all the money ASAP/SU has spent (over 50k) of their/our own money to get our own local and separate from 284.

To all those that complain about the Teamsters, or ALPA, or whatever union, look in the mirror...you are the union, the national organization is less than 10% of your strength. If your group doesn't have the leadership within, and the internal strength to support them, it wouldn't matter who represented you.

I want to put one rumor to rest. We are not actively pursuing FLOPS guys...we don't need their money...we have over 1.6 million dollars of income from our only members, NJA pilots. FLOPS pilots have come to US, we are not Teamsters local 747 who was the group pursuing them. We can only give Options pilots the tools, they have to build their own house, and need to find some skilled carpenters in their group to lead them.

Notice how I am not bragging about our new contract, or how much we will get or anything along those lines. We may not get squat, but if we don't NJA won't be getting squat for customers either by tiime this war is over. I am only saying that for the first time in 5 years I know whatever comes down the line will be the most possible, good or bad.

I am not an MEC member, or on any board or committee. I am just a line pilot that believes in the benefits of a union. I was relatively anti-union when I started here over 5 years ago, but after 5 years of not losing one single benefit, and only seeing improvements (albeit slowly) I am now a believer. Our airplanes are safe, our mx is done, our pilots have great judgement, our training is good, and there is not one leg that I would sweat a team of FAA inspectors jumping onboard. Every lightbulb is MEL'd, nothing is broke, all the paperwork is done, I am rested and ready to work....all because I have no fear in refusing a trip without proper paperwork, without a ferry permit, or because I am tired or hungry.

Last edited:
bluepost said:
"I am not an MEC member, or on any board or committee. I am just a line pilot that believes in the benefits of a union. I was relatively anti-union when I started here over 5 years ago, but after 5 years of not losing one single benefit, and only seeing improvements (albeit slowly) I am now a believer. Our airplanes are safe, our mx is done, our pilots have great judgement, our training is good, and there is not one leg that I would sweat a team of FAA inspectors jumping onboard. Every lightbulb is MEL'd, nothing is broke, all the paperwork is done, I am rested and ready to work....all because I have no fear in refusing a trip without proper paperwork, without a ferry permit, or because I am tired or hungry.

That's exactly what happens to pilots who follow the regs. IBT didn't do that...pilots did. PILOTS are doing all the work...you just have an illusion of security "protecting" you. Kind of like the little kid on his bike for the first time without training wheels. He still thinks Daddy is holding on, and has the confidence to accomplish his task. Anything accomplished by NJA has been accomplish by PILOTS who are PAYING DUES to IBT, for the privelege of doing the work themselves. Flops needs representation, too...but not the kind found with the IBT. We'd like to add "feel treated like a professional by our company, (not seen as annoying blue collar labor) because we are represented as professionals by professionals. " THAT would be the addendum I look for.

Last edited:
Wow!

"...91k has improved my life on the road significantly, I feel rested and relaxed and actually have time to enjoy the cities I am staying in....I used to be embarrased to work for NJA, and am still regarding the pay, but I still have hope, and have not pursued 3 separate job openings in my city paying 95k and higher that have come up in the last 2 weeks....but after 5 years of not losing one single benefit, and only seeing improvements... Our airplanes are safe, our mx is done, our pilots have great judgement, our training is good, and there is not one leg that I would sweat a team of FAA inspectors jumping onboard. Every lightbulb is MEL'd, nothing is broke, all the paperwork is done, I am rested and ready to work....all because I have no fear in refusing a trip without proper paperwork, without a ferry permit, or because I am tired or hungry...."

Sounds like one more member of what I call the "Very Happy With Everything About Netjets Except the Pay" Club. Pretty great testimony to counter all those others who bash everything about NJ.

Voice....I understand your feelings towards IBT, go independant, but do SOMETHING. I am not trying to sell IBT to anyone. That being said they (National) have done everything we have asked of them....and when it comes time to get released and the mediator says NO, I look forward to thier lobbying power in Washington to try and help us out.

I seriously wish the best for NJA, I honestly do...I don't like to see pilots anywhere getting hosed. I just feel like we can learn from their rough road that IBT isn't the way to go. The NJA pilots who have "taken over" are working hard, and I hope they get what they want. I am leery of any "lobbying power" IBT would have in Washington right now...
As I said the patting on the backs here is ONLY to the NJA pilots who have had enough cr@p and have been forced to go by the "If you want something done right do it yourself" motto.

Make no mistake, there is no illusion involved, when it comes to the job protection a good union offers. No management can deal with an individual pilot on a punitive basis with a strong union in place.

This protection afforded to members of Alpa, Teamsters, and others, is precisely why these organizations were formed. Do a little reading about their inception. To believe that we could demand decent working conditions without their protection is foolhardy.

If you feel otherwise, remember that this is why closed shops are the norm. Even those who do not wish to be a part of the organization, are afforded the benefits of their collective bargaining powers.

C'mon, you holdouts. Pay attention here. It's your career and future we're talking about.

I am talking about IBT/Teamsters here and no other union. How many pilots at NetJets that were unjustly terminated, did IBT get their jobs back? How many?

As for the massive highly anticipated pay increase, I will be happy to "eat crow" when I see it after all of these years....(but I still won't believe the IBT had anything to do with it, just the NJA pilots)

I'm no Teamster fan but IBT did not have any blame for the last 4 years of torture we've endured at NetJets. Our pain was directly attributable to Harold Powell, the recently retired (probably in lieu of termination) president of our soon to be former local and the 5 sellout pilots that we unfortunately elected as our MEC for the past 2 terms. Shame on us for not recognizing the problem earlier.

IBT (or any other national union HQ) will not come in to help if you don't ask for it. Our past leadership NEVER asked for ANY substantial assistance. They knew best and did not want to have a confrontational relationship with Santulli. They did not want ANY outside assistance. Why? Maybe they were fooled by our local leadership that didn't want to spend any of our dues he had collected. Maybe they were just outclassed. Maybe they were paid off. Who knows. What they failed to realize is that Santulli does not respond to favorable treatment with favorable treatment. He is an aggressive animal. He will only respond to pressure and threats. Otherwise, he would have made some modest effort to negotiate in good faith for over 3 1/2 years. Our previous MEC played nice and the membership got nothing. The new leadership is different. Now it's time to take off the gloves and use every bit of leverage we can muster. Zero progress will be made until the membership and the elected MEC take action and request specific support from International.

Do you think ALPA HQ (or any other established organization) is going to swoop down and do everything for you? You are going to have to do it for yourself and only then, when you request specific assistance, will they hopefully provide it.

Once we got our former local and our 5 lame-azz MEC members out of the way we have seen a remarkable change for the better. The international has met just about every request for support we've asked. That may be because we threatened to leave Teamsters if they didn't, but things have sure improved in the last 3 months.

You and your fellow pilots will only be successful when enough of your group volunteers to organize yourselves and receives support from a majority of your membership. Whomever you choose to affiliate with will be the least of your worries. They will only be able to provide guidance and expertise when requested. Most of the work will have to be done within your own group.

Majik said:
You and your fellow pilots will only be successful when enough of your group volunteers to organize yourselves and receives support from a majority of your membership. Whomever you choose to affiliate with will be the least of your worries. They will only be able to provide guidance and expertise when requested. Most of the work will have to be done within your own group.

I agree...That will never happen, however with the IBT...What I see on this board and what is actually heard from people don't agree, and that has been proven with votes time and again. It would have to be downright hopeless before a majority would vote IBT, and it's nowhere near that point. NO union is better than that, and most people will leave before making THAT kind of vote. Again, I am NOT ANTI-UNION, (before the witch-hunters swoop in....)

Reason

Voice Of Reason said:
I agree...That will never happen, however with the IBT...What I see on this board and what is actually heard from people don't agree, and that has been proven with votes time and again. It would have to be downright hopeless before a majority would vote IBT, and it's nowhere near that point. NO union is better than that, and most people will leave before making THAT kind of vote. Again, I am NOT ANTI-UNION, (before the witch-hunters swoop in....)

For a very long time I was far more anti IBT then most. Over the past few years management at options have proven to me time and again that they view the pilots at Flight Options as a necessary nuisance. They make changes to pay and benefits without regard to the effect that these actions have on the pilots. Management has used the pilots as a source for cutting back their overhead to make up for their own mismanagement.

Like I said I have never been and still am not a fan of the IBT, BUT!!!!! I have come to the point that I absolutely know that we need a union at Options to prevent management from abusing the pilots and the IBT seems to be the only option that presents it self. When I was actively arguing the anti IBT point of view people would say if not IBT then fine another union to organize under. Believe me I tried, even contacted a group that helps organize independent groups. I could find no takers.

So I now throw that same challenge out to you, If not the IBT you go find another union that is interested and or willing to step up to the plate.

Good luck, your going to need it.

Latest resources

Back